Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2018, 08:35 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I sort of agree with you but it is only a part of God’s plan ....... Jimmie is correct that Gods plan is detailed in the scriptures, and without the scriptures we would not know that there was a plan, but the Holy Spirit is needed to “see” it all in context

You are both talking past each other..... you say the whole plan is love, nothing else is needed ...... but what the scriptures are saying is that there are national things that the nations need to be aware of because God’s kingdom will take over the entire earth in righteousness

Any who do not understand what the kingdom is and when it is to appear will not be a part of it

Dan 2:20 Daniel answered and said: “Blessed be the name of God forever and ever, to whom belong wisdom and might.
Dan 2:21 He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings; he gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding;
Dan 2:22 he reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what is in the darkness, and the light dwells with him.
The scripture as i see it is our story not history. It is a remembering and returning to our true identity and true state. There are 2 nations in all of us, as we become aware of who we are, the older serves the younger.So the plan of God as far as i am concerned is to bring the sons and daughters of God back to their senses, from the illusion that our identity is a physical being to our true identity created in the image of God(God is Spirit). Believing as i did what you and jimmie are agreeing on, did absolutely nothing for me, seeing it as i do now the scriptures came alive and so did I.

Jesus never taught us to seek or believe for anything other than for his kingdom to be expressed through us. He never told us to build anything other than our lives upon a rock. Nations also as the notion of division, and there is no division in God
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 08:37 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
Answer a simple question. How do you know Jesus; who He is and what He is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A simple answer: I asked, and the answer became apparent when I saw him in others.
Couldn’t that knowledge of Christ be traced back to someone reading scripture about Jesus?

Old 04-09-2018, 08:40 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I sort of agree with you but it is only a part of God’s plan ....... Jimmie is correct that Gods plan is detailed in the scriptures, and without the scriptures we would not know that there was a plan, but the Holy Spirit is needed to “see” it all in context

You are both talking past each other..... you say the whole plan is love, nothing else is needed ...... but what the scriptures are saying is that there are national things that the nations need to be aware of because God’s kingdom will take over the entire earth in righteousness

Any who do not understand what the kingdom is and when it is to appear will not be a part of it

Dan 2:20 Daniel answered and said: “Blessed be the name of God forever and ever, to whom belong wisdom and might.
Dan 2:21 He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings; he gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding;
Dan 2:22 he reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what is in the darkness, and the light dwells with him.
(blue above)

Old 04-09-2018, 08:40 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
One final question. Does your church that you attend have similar beliefs like you?

Thank you in advance for the answers and your patience.
The people who attend my church appear to believe the basic teaching of Christ to love God and your neighbors, with variations in how each individually interprets that. We are not clones. But, if they didn't hold to that basic teaching, they would not likely be in our parish.

For example, one week our former priest's sermon after the gospel reading of the flight to Egypt focused on asking if Jesus's mom and dad would have been considered illegal aliens in that world, and to consider what our compassionate response should be to illegal aliens today. He is Italian and followed news from Italy, and it was at the time when unscrupulous people were taking money from Syrian refugees, taking them off the coast of Sicily, then putting the ships on autopilot toward the coast, abandoning ship, and leaving the refugees to slam into the rocks and live or die as they might. He was very upset that people would treat other human beings that way and asked us to consider how Jesus might view the refugees since his parents were in a similar situation. The purpose was to make people think with the compassion and love of Christ.

At the same time in a situation closer to home, for a while we offered a Portuguese-language service in for the Brazilian immigrant community in our area. About a dozen came, and we knew that a couple of them may not have been here legally. Some people, like me, don't really care much about the illegal alien situation. It's not a high priority in my mind on the list of things to be worried about. However, others in the parish feel strongly about illegal aliens and were not happy to know this.

So in summary, yes, I would say that most, if not all, people in my parish believe in the commandment to love God and our neighbors and that we demonstrate the first by practicing the second. How that plays out may vary according to personal perspectives.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:44 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
In general, scripture is regarded as helpful but not absolute here.
Only by the educated, rational and mature.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Couldn’t that knowledge of Christ be traced back to someone reading scripture about Jesus?
No. I already explained this upthread. I HAD read about Jesus in scripture, remember? I was RAISED in a Christian household, fed the Bible with my mother's milk, won a cool collapsible pen in third grade for being the first to memorize all 66 books in order (for which I am thankful, by the way. I can find anything quickly because I still remember the order.) I had the most gold stars on my weekly memory verse chart.

I knew about Jesus, but he was scary and mean because that's how he appeared to me from reading the Bible and from the way he was presented in the church (RCA) that I was raised in. Believing in Jesus was all about the constant focus on sin/death/hell, and I chose to walk away from it when I reached adulthood because it was harmful to me to live with that constant fear of punishment and death just for being human. I see that in so many on this forum who are still trapped in that prison made of words with no love, no compassion.

The knowledge I found later came from outside the pages of a book.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
In general, scripture is regarded as helpful but not absolute here.
Bingo. Yes. Now you are getting it.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:57 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Bingo. Yes. Now you are getting it.
One keeps hoping.... But I stopped holding my breath for jimmie about 3 years ago.

Great posts MQ. As per usual, I cannot rep yet.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:04 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
This is the only forum I have ever seen where the Bible bashers turn every thread into the same conversation. They will never get tired of saying "don't trust the Bible" (and then they quote the Bible).

Old 04-10-2018, 05:41 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,914,670 times
Quote:
It is good Friday my Christian brothers and sisters!

Scalfari says to the Pope, "Your Holiness, in our previous meeting you told me that our species will disappear in a certain moment and that God, still out of his creative force, will create new species. You have never spoken to me about the souls who died in sin and will go to hell to suffer it for eternity. You have however spoken to me of good souls, admitted to the contemplation of God. But what about bad souls? Where are they punished?"

Pope Francis says, "They are not punished, those who repent obtain the forgiveness of God and enter the rank of souls who contemplate him, but those who do not repent and cannot therefore be forgiven disappear. There is no hell, there is the disappearance of sinful souls."

note: at the time of this writng, Vatican says it may be a misquote but refuses to disavow

https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael...-there-no-hell

(Is there any doubt we are experiencing the great falling away of the faith?)

1 Timothy 4:1

Now the Spirit explicitly says that in the later times some will desert the faith and occupy themselves with deceiving spirits and demonic teachings,

The religion that came out of Rome= 2Thess 2:3) --they knew all along they teach lies--they outright refuse to correct those lies. What does one expect from a religion that allowed the young men to kill for Adolf Hitler--kill the young men of their own religion who stood on the otherside= pure darkness. They have proved 100% --they do not know Jesus and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity