Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 03:20 PM

1,146 posts, read 648,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Why do so many Christians seem to love money?

They are obsessed with it. Their conversion seems to go along with a conservative outlook.

When I used to hang out with them it was always so dark and depressing. They would always talk about their latest consumer obsession.

What gives?
Your statement is a reflection of political views rather than religious observance. You've expressed the notion that all Christians are financially and politically conservative, which is distasteful to your liberal point of view.

As a rule conservatives generally disapprove of parasites who make a living playing the system, while liberals generally disapprove of anything conservatives like. Together they are responsible for the current state of political grid lock known as partisan politics.

In actual fact, liberal politics has gravitated so far to the right as to be unrecognizable by one who grew up liberal in the 1950's & 1960's. Comparing the standards, liberals today are more conservative than conservatives of the mid-twentieth century. Today both conservatives and liberals blindly support our fascist government. They just make slightly different noises when they do it.

It should be understood that fascist liberals and fascist conservatives sometimes pray to the same god - the Almighty Dollar. America has turned its back on the One True God and decided to worship monetary advantage as well as pleasure instead. Your sensitivity to conservative rhetoric says a lot about your politics. It says you really don't know what the discussion is about. Don't worry. A lot of conservatives don't know either, which is why nothing gets done in Washington to benefit the people.

In his book THE DEEP STATE, Mike Lofgren wrote that if a man wants to go crazy he should move to Washington, DC where it will not be noticed.

Perhaps you should go there too.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 03:40 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
There are two anointing of Christ from prosperity where one is the priestly anointing where gifts of God will be in the works of the great commission Like evangelism , and teachers and prophets , then there is the anointing of Christ for the kingdom , which people with this gift can give all they can and money comes right back to give even more , and live on the money God allows them in the spirit , where this money helps the growth in the church , where the church is never stagnate before God ............. Some believer may have a priestly anointing and a small kingdom anointing of Christ where they give what they can and God will still bless them with always have money in the pocket ................. See God takes care of His own , and the devil can effect the bank were they go or the investments which they have , and prayer to bless these banks and investments to keep the devil out through Jesus would be needed ............... See God does not care if His children have prosperity , were believers need to resist pride of money , and covetousness of wealth , or greed against others or stealing and gambling will be out before God

Old 04-04-2018, 04:26 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Christ had no money. He never promoted the "love of money". He said "You cannot serve two masters... You cannot serve both God and Money" (Matt 6:24). It's all there, clear to read. If people stray from that, they only have themselves to blame. It's all very simple.
Really Christ had no money?
Then why did the other disciples think Jesus was telling Judas to go out and buy other provisions since Judas was in charge of the money? John 13
"Since Judas had charge of the money, some thought Jesus was telling him to buy what was needed for the festival, or to give something to the poor."
John 13:29

Mat 6:29 context is not about Jesus not having money but the love of.
Fact is Judas was the treasurer for Jesus and his ministry.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:31 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Many people will hear a message from Joel Osteen, Kenneth Copeland and many Pentecostals that lure people to seed money that they can be rich, and being rich is proof that God loves you as Copeland and Osteen will preach trying to show Abraham as extremely wealthy and that we are sons of the king, and so becoming a Christian in many cases is to join a church that teaches this making money thing.

What I read in the New Testament is completely opposite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes--guys like Osteen, Creflo Dollar, Copeland...they believe that when Jesus died on the cross he also provided for a curse of poverty to be broken--so if we're poor it's simply because we don't have the faith, or haven't exercised our faith--to claim the blessings. Of course, one gets those blessings by wiring them a check.
It's a pyramid scheme of tithing, so those at the top become rich at the expense of the multitudes under them.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:42 PM

1,183 posts, read 536,827 times
Ozzy, you nut! You make even me look good here

Old 04-04-2018, 05:50 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
If you haven't seen what I've seen, then you are fortunate.

By the way, I'm not even referring to the prosperity gospel. I think the prosperity in those cases represents spiritual abundance. So I have no issues with the prosperity or the word of faith movements.

When I refer to non-religious I guess I'm thinking about what some might call "worldly" or pagan. I don't think that definition of "worldly" is what the Bible was speaking of. I think it was speaking of religion and it's power over people. To me it's pretty clear that Revelation was speaking about the Roman church as being evil and in cahoots with certain Jewish sects which had drifted from God.

If I had a young child, for example, who needed to be watched and cared for while I was away, I might prefer to entrust their care to someone who wasn't so religious.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:29 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes--guys like Osteen, Creflo Dollar, Copeland...they believe that when Jesus died on the cross he also provided for a curse of poverty to be broken--so if we're poor it's simply because we don't have the faith, or haven't exercised our faith--to claim the blessings. Of course, one gets those blessings by wiring them a check.

Yeah, I've actually had someone here say being poor is a curse. I don't feel cursed, I may not have much by societal standards, but I feel blessed beyond reason. I'm grateful for everything I have, and really don't need anything else.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:42 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You. Whatever it is, there is something what motivates you to come up with stuff like that.
Simple really,
The enemy will always accuse from their own motives.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:47 PM

371 posts, read 287,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Yeah, I've actually had someone here say being poor is a curse. I don't feel cursed, I may not have much by societal standards, but I feel blessed beyond reason. I'm grateful for everything I have, and really don't need anything else.
Good for you! I need to work on that. Life is much easier with that mentality and it aligns with scripture

Old 04-04-2018, 09:49 PM

534 posts, read 489,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Why do so many Christians seem to love money?

They are obsessed with it. Their conversion seems to go along with a conservative outlook.

When I used to hang out with them it was always so dark and depressing. They would always talk about their latest consumer obsession.

What gives?
It makes complete sense to me. The vast majority of Christians---not all!---I know are actually very unlike Christ. They feel favored by God for the things they receive...hence they will say things like "I'm so blessed" when they have good fortune or like what's going on in their life; the unspoken side of the same coin being "God loves me more"...more than the "unblessed" who aren't pleasing to God. It's a weird parent-child reward/punishment dynamic they have with their God. So the more physical riches they possess, or the means to purchase or acquire physical riches...the more they feel justified that they are doing things right, because "Look how God blesses me!" Or, "My God can beat up your God." Additionally, there seems to be much more of a relationship with what I call "Bible God" or "Church God", rather than a direct, personal relationship with their very Source. One is based on rules, the other is rooted in genuine intimacy with the spiritual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity