Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2018, 07:25 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Nothing. He accomplished what He came to do. He did not come here to force anyone into anything. Whoever believes will have eternal life.
God doesn't need to be anything other than a demostration of Love to draw all to himself.. Time is never a problem to God that unbelievers like yourself try and limit him with. As if you can limit God, the nerve of it to even think God is limited or can be.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:42 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,696,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I completely agree that this is what we should be teaching. Jesus preached the same message in John 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
I am glad you agree that this is what we are to teach Jim, however it is not compatible with the doctrines of eternal torment or annihilation and simply cannot be reconciled with them.

So you are left with a choice Jim, it is one or the other you simply cannot have it both ways as the one will cancel out the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Nothing. He accomplished what He came to do. He did not come here to force anyone into anything. Whoever believes will have eternal life.
“Eternal” life being?

God is doing his will on earth in ages.....Christianity “rules” in an age of grace and is judged at the end of that age (coming soon) just as the Jews were judged at the end of their age 70AD

Old 04-23-2018, 07:54 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
“Eternal” life being?

God is doing his will on earth in ages.....Christianity “rules” in an age of grace and is judged at the end of that age (coming soon) just as the Jews were judged at the end of their age 70AD
I still have no idea what you believe about an afterlife. Yes/no?

We are also told by Jesus Himself that there are many rooms in God’s house and that He has gone before us to prepare a place for us. We have the assurance of His word that He will one day come back to earth and take us to where He is in heaven (John 14:1-4). Our belief in an eternal home in heaven is based on an explicit promise of Jesus. Heaven is most definitely a real place. Heaven truly does exist.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:02 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
1 Timothy 2:4
... who desires ALL people to be saved and come to full knowledge of [the] truth.

It's an active, ongoing result of a previous action.

And in the ongoing result of that action; desires (wants, wills) ALL men to be saved and come to the knowledge of truth. The action is indicative. Nowhere is it subjunctive, or that of being contingent or probable, nor imperative on the subjects response. Neither is it Optative, as in being unlikely or wishful thinking that mankind might come to this salvation and knowledge.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:11 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,696,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I still have no idea what you believe about an afterlife. Yes/no?

We are also told by Jesus Himself that there are many rooms in God’s house and that He has gone before us to prepare a place for us. We have the assurance of His word that He will one day come back to earth and take us to where He is in heaven (John 14:1-4). Our belief in an eternal home in heaven is based on an explicit promise of Jesus. Heaven is most definitely a real place. Heaven truly does exist.
As a Christian heaven may sound good but it is not what was promised to Abraham

I am not concerned about an “afterlife”

As a human I see that I was born, brought up believing certain things based on my mothers cultural background (my father died when I was very young) and that life is random and generally not very fair, most humans do the best they can with the hand they are dealt.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:16 PM

The very existence of hell must condemn God in the eyes of humanity. Barbara G Walker

Old 04-23-2018, 08:19 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
And as He died for all men how is it that his death then is not good enough for all men? What did He leave undone? Jim according to the scripture ALL will believe to the glory of God the Father. Think about that. God gets no glory from lip service, every tongue will confess Jesus Christ is Lord.

Jim look up the meaning of the word bow. It is only ever used for reverential worship in scripture, thus when every knee bows it is in reverential worship and not by compunction as so many seem to believe.
It's important for jimmiej, and all small-minded, selfish people, to believe that they are the special snowflakes who are their godling's BFFs. And everybody else who is not BFFs with their godling - sadly - has to be toasted for eternity.

Too bad - so sad.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:20 PM

Christianity has has made eternal happiness dependent upon the acceptance of a theological dogma

Djwhal Khul

Theological interpretations from the dark ages.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:25 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:

As a human I see that I was born, brought up believing certain things based on my mothers cultural background (my father died when I was very young) and that life is random and generally not very fair, most humans do the best they can with the hand they are dealt.
Wow! You believe this life is all God has for us? What about the promises Jesus made to the disciples and the thief on the cross? What about Paul speaking of being “present with the Lord”?

1 Thessalonians 4

16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:43 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:

Annihilation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity