Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2019, 06:07 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,026,379 times

Advertisements

The times of the restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets

And He shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto You: Whom the heavens must receive until the times of the restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets since the world began” (Acts 3:21).

Peter’s statement speaks clearly of the times of the restitution of all things. Restitution, according to the best English usage, means the act of restoring something that has been taken away or lost; the act of making good or rendering an equivalent as for loss or injury. (Funk and Wagnall’s Dictionary)

This is in exact harmony with the Greek work temuriak which means restoration.

Some will no doubt reply to this by stating, as many do, that Peter was not promising that God would restore everything but only those things of which the prophets had spoken. I wish, however, to show as clearly as possible that the grammatical construction of this sentence declares the exact opposite to be the truth. I mean that Peter was actually saying that all the prophets from the beginning of the world had prophesied that there would be a restoration of all things and that the restoration would indeed be universal and would include all things.

You will notice that in the scripture quoted (Acts 3:21, King James Version) there is a comma after the word things. This comma indicates that the clause following : “which God hath spoken by the mouth of His holy prophets since the world began” – is what is known as a non-restrictive clause. A non-restrictive clause is one which can be omitted without changing or destroying the meaning of the principal clause or main statement. (See Mastering Effective English by Tressler-Lewis, Revised Edition, Pages 545-546.) It simply adds further information.

Now read the scripture, omitting the clause in question, and you will find the meaning is clearly stated and nothing of the sense is destroyed. If this clause were modifying the word things, it would be restrictive and no comma would be used. -George Hawtin-

http://zedek.us/wp-content/uploads/2...rge-Hawtin.pdf

Last edited by Rose2Luv; 06-06-2019 at 06:31 AM..

Old 06-06-2019, 08:54 AM

Terms for Eternity: Aiônios and Aïdios in Classical and Christian Texts

https://biblicalscholarship.wordpres...ristian-texts/

Old 06-07-2019, 04:15 AM

"Some have asked what good does it do to believe that God will save all men . You might as well ask what good it does to believe that God will save some men … Every evangelist believes that it is God’s will to save some men during this present time, or he would not be an evangelist. And if a man does not believe that God will save any men past this present age, what does he expect to be doing in the ages to come? To what end, then, is such a man’s “sonship” ministry?

Why strive and labor to be a Son, to set creation free, if what God is accomplishing in redemption during this present age is all there is…If there is no out-working of redemption in the ages to come, no extension, nor expansion of the kingdom of God beyond the formation of the Body of Christ, they why not settle for the fundamentalist’s version of heaven and content ourselves with spending eternity shouting up and down the golden streets, waving palm branches and strumming harps?" – J. Preston Eby

Old 06-07-2019, 04:25 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
If you are a Universalist believer in Jesus Christ saving ALL, please feel free to post your personal experience of when and how you came to this persuasion.

Indeed Very Many: Universalism in the Early Church

Indeed Very Many: Universalism in the Early Church
Jesus is a metaphorical manifestation of the the system we are in.

will the system we are in include everybody?

I think believer and non believer can agree on this one. In fact, the only believers I have a problem with are the ones that can't separate their belief from reality.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:34 PM

The Offer

Imagine this scenario. An automobile manufacturer builds a vehicle model which it hopes will become a great success. During testing, however, it becomes apparent that the car suffers from a severe design flaw and would pose an imminent danger to the public were it released for sale. Instead of correcting the flaw, the manufacturer decides it has a better idea; it mentions the flaw on page 122 of the owner’s manual and explains there how the owner can have the defect corrected at the nearest dealership “free of charge”.

Does it appear rather lopsided that the vehicle is sold to unsuspecting customers with little if any mention of the design defect? Does it appear rather absurd that the responsibility for discovering the dangerous defect and having it corrected falls upon the buyer, when the builder could have fixed the problem before taking the car to market?

Imagine this scenario.

Because of the sin of our forefather, Adam, we all inherit sin and mortality. None of us are tested as he was, in order to see if we will be a righteous person or a sinner; we are all given mortality. Our choices have nothing to do with our present condition as sinners; we are born that way.

As for salvation from sin and death, that will depend on finding the proper message and acting on it in an effective manner; otherwise the condition we inherit at birth will be our everlasting downfall.

Does it appear rather lopsided that the condemnation is universal and our choice has nothing to do with it, but our salvation from that condemnation requires our active participation? Does it appear rather absurd that the responsibility for obtaining salvation depends, in the final analysis, upon each individual, while we re in no way responsible for our needing that salvation in the first place? Doesn’t
it seem strange that perdition is an inherited condition, while salvation is only an “offer” made to those fortunate enough to stumble upon it?

Fact is, salvation is not an offer we happen upon; it’s a gift.

And a Savior is One Who saves. In 1 Timothy 4:9-11, we read, “Faithful is the saying and worthy of all welcome (for for this are we toiling and being reproached), that we rely on the living God, Who is the Saviour of all mankind, especially of believers. These things be charging and teaching.” God is the Savior of all mankind, for salvation is the destiny of all. 1 Cor. 15:20-28; 1 Tim. 4:10; Jn. 12:32; Col. 1:20; Eph. 1:10; Rom. 5:18, 19; Phil. 2:9-11.

God is the Savior of believers especially because He prefers some from the beginning for salvation now and during the eons of the eons (2 Thes. 2:13; Rev. 20:4, 5). Others are vessels of indignation, as indicated in Romans 9, and will not be saved until the consummation mentioned in 1 Cor. 15:24.

Salvation is not an “offer”; God enlightens all, at the time He chooses. John 1:9-13. – Kenneth Larsen-

Old 06-08-2019, 05:13 AM

Arminian>>>Calvinist>>>Universal Reconciliation

Arminian

Unless you are lucky enough to find out about my Son during this lifetime, and even if you are that lucky, if you don’t have the good sense to cooperate with my Son properly before you die, then I am going to raise you from the dead and I will either annihilate you, or sustain you alive in an inescapable state of eternal torment.

Christ's apparent mission: To save from annihilation or eternal torment only those who are lucky enough to hear about Jesus before they die, and also have enough good sense to properly cooperate with Him before they die.

Calvinist

Since there is nothing you can do about it because you are totally depraved and you are not one of the elect, it is obvious that I created most of you for the purpose of either annihilating you or letting you suffer eternal torment. However, I am going to unconditionally choose a few of you to go to heaven where you will be happy forever.

Christ's apparent mission: To let everyone be annihilated, or suffer eternal torment except the unconditionally elected few that He rescues by His irresistible grace.

Universal Reconciliation

Sooner or later, because of what Christ accomplished by His death and resurrection, I am going to save all of you from everything from which you need to be saved, including your stubborn will.

Christ's scriptural mission=

"And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world" (1 John 4:14).

Jesus Christ will be completely successful in accomplishing the reason why His Father sent Him. Jesus Christ IS the Saviour of the world & He will save it!

Old 06-09-2019, 04:09 PM

Hello! Is anybody there?

Question?

You are on your honor, no cheating>>>>

Can you complete the following?

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved...."

Old 06-09-2019, 04:42 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
Hello! Is anybody there?

Question?

Sorry, Rose, you have it wrong. "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ because you are saved...." by what He accomplished for us all.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:17 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
Hello! Is anybody there?

Question?

And your “house” I believe

Old 06-09-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
And your “house” I believe
Dear Meerkat: I cannot award a prize for your correct answer, nor will I attempt to further pursue that which is quite amazing in this discourse.

https://www.biblestudytools.com/acts/16-31-compare.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity