Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it time for a female Pope?
Yes, otherwise it's misogyny 3 14.29%
No, women belong in the kitchen 6 28.57%
There should not be a Papacy in the first place 7 33.33%
Other (Please specify) 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 09:03 AM

18,845 posts, read 6,863,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
1950 is calling you.
To be fair, the Bible does actually support what he said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 09:04 AM

88,119 posts, read 83,978,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
In order for there to be a female Pope, there would first have to be a female Cardinal.

In order for there to be a female Cardinal, there would first have to be a female Archbishop.

In order for there to be a female Archbishop, there would first have to be a female Bishop.

In order for there to be a female Bishop, there would first have to be a female Priest.

The Catholic Church has not yet ordained a female Priest, so a female Pope is decades, or even generations, away.
Thanks, mensa. Was about to type something similar.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:12 AM

88,119 posts, read 83,978,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Of course it does. It was written in a patriarchal culture. That doesn't mean it "came from God". It is a product of the time and place in which it was written. The subjugation of women is a cultural flaw that still pervades many societies to different degrees. It might even be considered "sin".

Old 04-18-2018, 09:13 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,134,790 times
There is no office of "Pope" anywhere in the bible that I see.....

Old 04-18-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Of course it does. It was written in a patriarchal culture. That doesn't mean it "came from God". It is a product of the time and place in which it was written. The subjugation of women is a cultural flaw that still pervades many societies to different degrees. It might even be considered "sin".
You're right. The fact that the culture was patriarchal has nothing to do with its inspiration, any more than the fact that it actually mandates better treatment of women than the culture practiced. It's inspiration is demonstrated in other ways.

In any event, you seem to have bought into this martyr complex that doesn't exist. The Bible does not teach a subjugation of women. But if you keep focusing on that, you'll miss the bigger picture.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:33 AM

22,860 posts, read 10,253,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
There is no office of "Pope" anywhere in the bible that I see.....
The Pope has all the authority to alter ANY OF THE WORD OF GOD CRUISER, YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS AS YOU FOLLOW THE RELIGION THE POPE CREATED AND HIS LAWS LOL.

O, didn't mean to shout, I look up and it's in shouting fashion but the point is there. EVERY SINGLE THING that you and I disagree upon CAME from Constantine, the very first.

YOU DEFEND the Catholic faith better than most Catholics I know, you are CERTAINLY not in any place where you could even come close to having an opinion that says ,'' The bible has no place for a Pope.''

You don't realize what you are saying Cruiser, you take away the Pope, and you take away your father, and your entire foundation that has been built and designed by the Popes who have all the authority in the world to tell you to do whatever they want you to do, and if they asked something of you, you should be honored and excited to do something for your father, YOU ARE A CATHOLIC, ARE YOU NOT?

If you say,'' NO,'' then how am I to take you seriously when you reject the laws of God but accept the laws of the Pope, NAY LOL, YOU DEFEND the Pope EVERY DAY YOUR HERE.
You are one of his best disciples., but as I said, '' God bless the Catholic,'' I just don't want to see protestants acting as if he does not follow the Pope, WHEN HE DOES.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:36 AM

10,495 posts, read 6,945,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
What about Phoebe who served as deacon over the church at Cenchreae, whom Paul describes as prostatis, or overseer of the Eucharist? And given how Paul instructs the church of Rome to do what Phoebe required of them, it is evident he is sending her to take a position of leadership. What about Junia, who is number by Paul among the apostles? What about Priscilla, Chloe, Lydia, Apphia, Nympha, who were all leaders of their respective house churches? Women served as presbyters.

Further, there's plenty of historical evidence that women served in a leadership capacity in the early church, and not just over the men either. For example, Pliny the Younger discusses his dealings with the leadership of the church at Bythnia, two women who served as deacons. No less an eminence as Origen commented on this fact as well. The Council of Chalcedon set down orders for the ordination of women deacons. The walls of the Roman catacombs depict women serving in the role as both priest and bishop, too.

So there is both Biblical and historical support for women serving as clergy.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:54 AM

22,860 posts, read 10,253,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
What about Phoebe who served as deacon over the church at Cenchreae, whom Paul describes as prostatis, or overseer of the Eucharist? And given how Paul instructs the church of Rome to do what Phoebe required of them, it is evident he is sending her to take a position of leadership. What about Junia, who is number by Paul among the apostles? What about Priscilla, Chloe, Lydia, Apphia, Nympha, who were all leaders of their respective house churches? Women served as presbyters.

Further, there's plenty of historical evidence that women served in a leadership capacity in the early church, and not just over the men either. For example, Pliny the Younger discusses his dealings with the leadership of the church at Bythnia, two women who served as deacons. No less an eminence as Origen commented on this fact as well. The Council of Chalcedon set down orders for the ordination of women deacons. The walls of the Roman catacombs depict women serving in the role as both priest and bishop, too.

I think Priscilla wrote Hebrews if that adds anything to your ideas, one thing we can KNOW for sure is that when Pricilla's name proceeds that of her husband concerning their church get together, it WAS CLEAR that Priscilla WAS THAT TEACHER, and having said that, I doubt we shall ever see a woman as a high priest any time soon, but even a women can become a son of God, and when her body dies, it will bear fruit if she has matured a son, and he will be a son, NOT a daughter, and a high priest he shall be.
I always tell people the one book I have my doubts about is 1 Corinthians beginning in chapter 7 especially, but from chapter 7 unto the end of the 14th chapter, WE DO NOT KNOW WHERE PAUL IS SPEAKING.

Corinthians chapter 7

Now concerning the things you wrote unto me.......

This is speaking of the two letters this church wrote Paul where they were Gentiles, but they were really trying to be like Jews, but they were getting this all wrong, and Paul was very angry with them that he had to write them back to address some of the things they had said, and you really can't always tell where Paul is speaking.

{If I can add anything to what you may be studying about women}
BUT MINI, look at this, I mean, If I haven't already showed you. In many cases, Paul quotes what they say and then begins a rebuke with the word,'' WHAT?"" in Capitol letter just like that, and then he rebukes them for what we had just read.

1 Corinthians 14
Orderly Worship
26How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying. 27If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. 28But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. 29Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. 30If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. 31For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted. 32And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 33For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
34Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. 35And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

36 WHAT? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?

Mini, SEE THAT?

What they had just said, Paul turns around and mocks them because they are so freaking wrong

Old 04-18-2018, 11:24 AM

31,374 posts, read 20,025,917 times
Male Popes have thus far left much to be desired, though JPII and Frankie were/are admirable people. The church would be wise to elevate the status of women beyond that of nuns. Women who feel the calling should definitely be allowed to join the priesthood. I predict that will happen within 15 years. Perhaps a female Pope will be a reality within 50.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Phoebe was described as being a servant. She was not an elder or pastor. Those are completely different roles.
Quote:

Yet, no woman was said to be an elder or a pastor according to the Bible, and Scripture forbids women from holding authority over men in the church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity