Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 08:30 PM

23,653 posts, read 17,433,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Just say what is on your mind, vain repetitions count for nothing.......
That is true IF THEY ARE VAIN. saying the rosary mindfully is not vain repetitions. I can also say the Our Father over and over as many times as I want but if you do it mindfully it's not vain repetitions.

Plus, sometimes I can't even think straight if I am getting very anxious or worried and saying a prayer over and over centers my mind and helps me. I don't think God would care if it is helping us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 09:49 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,320,130 times
Quote:
Just say what is on your mind, vain repetitions count for nothing.......

well, since "your Heavenly Father knows what you need before you ask Him" (Matt. 6:8) it would seem that any kind of prayer(even the "Lord's Prayer)or hymn or psalm is potentially redundant and repetitious (He's heard it all before from us and everybody else!!!) while at the same time we are told to "pray without ceasing" (1 Thes. 5:17) so we know frequent prayer is still somehow desired by God---go figure, LOL. the key thing about the Rosary and any form of "set" prayers is HOW they are prayed if with sincerity and concentration as aids to help "focus" on who we are "speaking" to and what we are speaking about they can be helpful. again. this prayer is a "whole person" thing the lips are saying words to God AND the mind is in concentration on the "mysteries" of Christ's incarnation, miracles, suffering, death, resurrection, and ascension and IF we are not meditating with heart and mind then the prayers in and of themselves are WORTHLESS (just like any other kind of prayer). Catholics don't have to pray the rosary or use any kind of "rote" prayers when they come before God in prayer, praise, and supplication---it's simply an option that can be used in our need, duty, and responsibility to talk to our loving and merciful Father as His loving children ANY kind of communication with God is just fine---IF we do it with faith, hope, humility, and love.

in the peace of Christ.

Last edited by mensaguy; 06-23-2018 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: Fixed spelling error in quote tag

Old 06-22-2018, 10:13 PM

23,653 posts, read 17,433,371 times
In heaven all the angels and saints will be saying, Glory to God in the highest over and over so yes prayers can be repeated----even in heaven.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
In heaven all the angels and saints will be saying, Glory to God in the highest over and over so yes prayers can be repeated----even in heaven.

yes indeed, on earth as in heaven "I will praise the LORD at all times His praise will be ever on my lips" (psalm 34:1) and probably it doesn't matter what words we use but the intention of our minds and hearts when we say them so we may indeed "worship in spirit and in truth".

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 06-23-2018 at 09:56 AM..

Old 06-23-2018, 07:30 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,137,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
well, since "your Heavenly Father knows what you need before you ask Him" (Matt. 6:8) it would seem that any kind of prayer(even the "Lord's Prayer)or hymn or psalm is potentially redundant and repetitious (He's heard it all before from us and everybody else!!!) while at the same time we are told to "pray without ceasing" (1 Thes. 5:17) so we know frequent prayer is still somehow desired by God---go figure, LOL. the key thing about the Rosary and any form of "set" prayers is HOW they are prayed if with sincerity and concentration as aids to help "focus" on who we are "speaking" to and what we are speaking about they can be helpful. again. this prayer is a "whole person" thing the lips are saying words to God AND the mind is in concentration on the "mysteries" of Christ's incarnation, miracles, suffering, death, resurrection, and ascension and IF we are not meditating with heart and mind then the prayers in and of themselves are WORTHLESS (just like any other kind of prayer). Catholics don't have to pray the rosary or use any kind of "rote" prayers when they come before God in prayer, praise, and supplication---it's simply an option that can be used in our need, duty, and responsibility to talk to our loving and merciful Father as His loving children ANY kind of communication with God is just fine---IF we do it with faith, hope, humility, and love.

in the peace of Christ.

George you've been awol for weeks, good to see you back..........

Old 06-23-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
George you've been awol for weeks, good to see you back..........

thanks. actually have been posting on rather similar subjects at other venues in cyberspace so I've been "busy" exchanging thoughts and beliefs about this and that----just not here. luckily it seems that this forum seems to have been doing just fine cussing (LOL) and discussing this and that without my presence.

in the peace of Christ.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 06-23-2018 at 07:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity