Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2018, 08:28 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,925,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post
What's up guys, it's me again.

I personally love Christ. I'm a young adult navigating the world and trying to do right in the face of evil. But this issue is weighing heavy on my conscience. I am the descendant of people taken from West/Central Africa in chains and forced to work the soil of the land until they died. The brutes that took my people & owned them as property justified their actions with Biblical scripture. This scripture still exists and there are heated theological discussions to this day about its translation & the negative connotations associated with it.

I just need an answer, I need SOMEONE to give me an encouraging word or try to debunk the pro-slavery passages in the Bible. I feel extremely conflicted and although I do follow the Biblical laws to the best of my abilities, I can't help but feel this nagging doubt in the back of my mind.
God did not justify that kind of slavery that went on in the US. People sold themselves into slavery because they didn't have any other means to support themselves (I like this idea WAY MORE than the much-corrupted welfare system. But them slavery became corrupted too). Masters were to treat their slaves with respect and kindness (NOT torture them or treat them disrespectfully as mere property). And they were supposed to let them go free after a certain time (can't remember the number of years) and if the slave wanted to stay with their master, that was their own choice.

So, comparing Biblical slavery as prescribed by God's word and the slavery that went on during the Civil War and around that era is like comparing apples to oranges. You can't. They're completely different. If those people were using the Bible to justify their actions, they were taking it WAY out of context. Maybe just pointing to "look, God says 'slaves should obey their masters'--there you go! I'm going to beat you until you obey me 'cause God says".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 08:36 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
God did not justify that kind of slavery that went on in the US. People sold themselves into slavery because they didn't have any other means to support themselves (I like this idea WAY MORE than the much-corrupted welfare system. But them slavery became corrupted too). Masters were to treat their slaves with respect and kindness (NOT torture them or treat them disrespectfully as mere property). And they were supposed to let them go free after a certain time (can't remember the number of years) and if the slave wanted to stay with their master, that was their own choice.

So, comparing Biblical slavery as prescribed by God's word and the slavery that went on during the Civil War and around that era is like comparing apples to oranges. You can't. They're completely different. If those people were using the Bible to justify their actions, they were taking it WAY out of context. Maybe just pointing to "look, God says 'slaves should obey their masters'--there you go! I'm going to beat you until you obey me 'cause God says".
Oh,
Is the op. Talking about un. Hostory?
Yeah, they gots some answering to do.
Especially after they cloctively attacked Syria to manufacture propevy and concede in devouring the countries resources.

Oops, did I say that out loud?

Old 04-26-2018, 08:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
You make a good point but to turn from people whose ancestors practiced slavery-
to people that practice slavery right now -is a step backwards

Old 04-26-2018, 09:43 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
That one is the most corrupt...
Evidence?

Old 04-27-2018, 05:10 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,916,882 times
Quote:

I personally love Christ. I'm a young adult navigating the world and trying to do right in the face of evil. But this issue is weighing heavy on my conscience. I am the descendant of people taken from West/Central Africa in chains and forced to work the soil of the land until they died. The brutes that took my people & owned them as property justified their actions with Biblical scripture. This scripture still exists and there are heated theological discussions to this day about its translation & the negative connotations associated with it.

I just need an answer, I need SOMEONE to give me an encouraging word or try to debunk the pro-slavery passages in the Bible. I feel extremely conflicted and although I do follow the Biblical laws to the best of my abilities, I can't help but feel this nagging doubt in the back of my mind.

Those that actually know Jesus would have 0 to do with slaves, No teacher on earth would condone the owning of another human being, unless that human being sold themselves into endenturd service.
All are brothers and sisters of the human family under God and his son. Few know them. Not all is as appears in a satan ruled system of things( 2Cor 11:12-15)--most are taught by those.
There were slaves in the OT days as well--No it isn't right--99% have been mislead from the start right up until today, Satan beat them centuries ago--the facts are out there.

Old 04-28-2018, 01:01 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Quote:

Every race in the world has enslaved others. Even in Africa they had other African slaves. The Africans enslaved each other. The white Irish were enslaved by the English and brought here but they could not work in the fields with their fair skin and died very fast. People used those who they could work for longer. Evil----you bet but every culture did it. Even today there are slaves in the world. Let's pray for those people and for slavery to be stamped out everywhere.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:56 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Every race in the world has enslaved others. Even in Africa they had other African slaves. The Africans enslaved each other. The white Irish were enslaved by the English and brought here but they could not work in the fields with their fair skin and died very fast. People used those who they could work for longer. Evil----you bet but every culture did it. Even today there are slaves in the world. Let's pray for those people and for slavery to be stamped out everywhere.
You don't know the Irish history very well....

Old 04-28-2018, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Those that actually know Jesus would have 0 to do with slaves, No teacher on earth would condone the owning of another human being, unless that human being sold themselves into endenturd service.
All are brothers and sisters of the human family under God and his son. Few know them. Not all is as appears in a satan ruled system of things( 2Cor 11:12-15)--most are taught by those.
There were slaves in the OT days as well--No it isn't right--99% have been mislead from the start right up until today, Satan beat them centuries ago--the facts are out there.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
Evidence?
Just do a comparative study...Actually, I know that you really do not want evidence or you would have found it out yourself already, like I have...

Old 04-28-2018, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post

Really?...Just like G-d did not condone polygamy?...There were two kinds of slavery, which is different from voluntary servitude...One type of slave you owned for life the other you had to release after a set period of time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity