Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 09:12 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times

Advertisements

So, basically the problem is with the existence of evil at the same time as "Omni Dude" characteristics of "God?" Maybe the problem is in characterizing "God" that way. Why does "my God" have to be able to "beat" "your God?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 09:50 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Evil exists because God gave man free will. God will enact ultimate justice in the end and evil will be vanquished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
Question my friend. Do you grasp the fact that man was "made subject to vanity, NOT WILLINGLY, but by reason of Him who has subjected the same in hope..?"
When did God do that Rose? before man was disobedient or after?

Old 04-27-2018, 09:53 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times
Quote:
"I form light and create darkness; I make peace and create evil. I, the Lord, do all these things." -Isa. 45:7
Create is a word of division or separation. so that verse should read

"I form light and cut down darkness; I make peace and cut down evil. I, the Lord, do all these things.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:01 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,026,379 times
Quote:
Why do you assume vanity refers to evil? I see no translations that say such. I see the word futlity.
You must have missed the KJV Jimmie

For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,

21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:05 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Why do you assume vanity refers to evil? I see no translations that say such. I see the word futlity.
In a world of good and evil as desribed by your bible, which one does vanity fall under ?. Surely you are not saying it's a good thing.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:12 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
You must have missed the KJV Jimmie

For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,

21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.
Not seeing it. I refer you back to post #29.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:22 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,026,379 times
"not seeing it"

"For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,"

Old 04-27-2018, 12:00 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
"not seeing it"

"For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,"
On this one, jimmij is on the right track. "Vanity" here would be "in vain" or "uselessly" "Frustration" is a good translation and refers to the condition of the world in natural consequence of its normally selfish actions. the General populace lacks in large measure the "enlightened self interest" that makes for a more beneficial society. "Evil" in the other reference is about "calamity" or consequences of deleterious conditions.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:11 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
There is probably no subject in all the range of religious thought so hard to deal with as that of the purpose of evil. Writers on biblical lore have tried to account of the origin of evil; but it seems to me that the real difficulty is the bare fact of its existence, whatever may have been its origin. The great question for theologians to wrestle with is this: How can you account for the existence of evil alongside a supreme, all-wise, holy and benevolent God? Think for a moment on the condition of things in this world. Evil exists on the earth to embitter and darken, to blight and curse everything else that exists on the earth. On it goes, like a huge Juggernaut car, rolling through the world, crushing its helpless victims on every hand, and (the saddest feature of all) crushing without distinction the innocent and guilty together in one common quagmire of sin, suffering and death; and God allows it to go on when he might at any instant stop it, and on it has gone for six thousand years. Take an example in the concrete, the horrible September massacre of the French Revolution when during a period of one hundred hours, from Sunday afternoon, Sept. 2, 1792, until Thursday, the helpless inmates of the seven crowded prisons of Paris were, after a mock trial before a self-constituted tribunal, hurled to a howling mob of human wolves and fiends and butchered in cold blood. Men and women, young, middle-aged, and gray-haired, shared the same fate, and for no other crime than that, as Carlisle expresses it, they were "suspected of being suspected." And all this was enacted under the canopy of heaven where sits the God of infinite power and love! How can we believe it? Add to this the years of horror of that same revolution. Add the slaughter of the Waldenses and the Albegenses. Add the massacre of St. Bartholomew. Add the unspeakable cruelties of the Spanish Inquisition. Add the decades, centuries and millenniums of butchery and blood that have cursed the world from fratricidal Cain down to the present time, and then try to reconcile all this with the existence in the same universe of a God of infinite power and love! Can you do it? Rather does not the contemplation of this vast sea of human suffering cause one to shrink back with horror from the ghastly vision and almost (and sometimes quite) doubt that there is a God? Alas, how many there are that are troubled by this problem! Can you help them? The Word can help them!--

evil.html
nope, I have no trouble at all. God got's nothing to do with it.

Your post is an excellent example of a human inserting a universal moral code for how the universe works.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:12 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
"not seeing it"

I see that, but why do you define that as evil?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity