Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 08:00 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
It doesn’t. No matter what your relationship to a person is, whether they are your child or parent, the thought of them being tormented for any length of time, much less for eternity, is a horror.
It's a horror for well-balanced, empathetic, rational people.

But not for fundies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 08:13 AM

15,840 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's a horror for well-balanced, empathetic, rational people.

But not for fundies.
It could explain some of the bizarre behavior like degrading and disowning family that have left whatever belief system. They could be acting irrationally out of fear and grief. At least a few of them (like I prefer to believe my mom is) are actually trying to "save" the person they are abusing.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:16 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
In the OP, I believe the Pope was correct. If the father chose to baptize his children, there was at least some hope in God.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
In the OP, I believe the Pope was correct. If the father chose to baptize his children, there was at least some hope in God.
I don't think that was even the point the Pope made. He said it was easy for a believer to have their children baptized but harder for a non believer. Also, it talked about the dad having been "a good man" which I would assume believers would think usual for a believer but next to impossible for an atheist.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:39 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I don't think that was even the point the Pope made. He said it was easy for a believer to have their children baptized but harder for a non believer. Also, it talked about the dad having been "a good man" which I would assume believers would think usual for a believer but next to impossible for an atheist.
I meant the Pope was right to tell the boy his father was in heaven (even though we can’t be sure). Since the father had baptized his children, there was at least some hope he sought after God. Children don’t have the maturity to understand something this serious.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:11 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I meant the Pope was right to tell the boy his father was in heaven (even though we can’t be sure). Since the father had baptized his children, there was at least some hope he sought after God. Children don’t have the maturity to understand something this serious.
Evidently, the boy was taught to fear hell, it's not something that comes naturally.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:16 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Why would an atheist want to?

Old 05-02-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Why would an atheist want to?
To baptize their child? To make it easier on the kid to fit in. I'm sure his dad taught him critical thinking skills alongside having him baptized so when he was old enough he could make up his own mind. The Pope even stated it was by what kind of child he had raised that he knew the atheist was a good man. He didn't have any indication of what type of person the guy was except for the by knowing the son. Kind of like God an Jesus don't you think? Maybe even God and you. We know your God by you.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:37 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I believe there are a few questions not being asked!

Who said the child's father was an atheist?

Lategrape, there is little if nothing to sort out when the source of the article is laced with disception..

Old 05-02-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
I believe there are a few questions not being asked!

Who said the child's father was an atheist?

Lategrape, there is little if nothing to sort out when the source of the article is laced with disception..
The boy did. Are you saying you think the boy got that wrong? Regardless, the statement from the Pope was made, not toward whether or not the man was an atheist or not, but toward whether an atheist was one of God's children or not and therefore had the same fate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity