Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:13 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,029 times

Advertisements

1. I'm not Catholic, I'm Episcopalian (Anglican)
2. By authority I mean why did they (churches not founded by the Apostles) break away from the original churches? With what authority. They all claim to be prophets, but disagree with each other. Is God arguing with Himself through His prophets?
3. Protestants are against the teachings of the Church, but use a book sanctioned and chosen by the Church as argument against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 09:50 AM

756 posts, read 2,574,400 times
maybe the break-away was more or less due to so many believers over a vast surface area, they needed a church and decided to make one?

Old 04-05-2008, 10:08 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,333 times
How are Protestants against the teachings of the church? What church? The RCC?

Old 04-05-2008, 11:12 PM

322 posts, read 737,632 times
The fact is there are many divisions in the Church. That is not the will of GOD. We are one people. We are His children. We are His family. The reason there are divisions in the Church is because of false doctrines. If the major portion of the Church leaders were men of prayer and complete dedication from a pure heart like they ought to be, they would be able to recieve the true Word from the LORD. Many of them are not feeding the flock like they should and in some cases if they did preach the pure Word, they would be run out of town by some in the congregation. We live in the last days, like the days of Noah. Those who love the LORD should pray and trust Him. Stand firm in the pure and simple faith of our LORD JESUS. The LORD knows His own and will deliver those who trust in Him. If your looking to the Catholics or a number of various groups for authority, forget it. Look to JESUS. I mean look only to JESUS. You can always trust Him. He loves you and cares deeply for you.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:20 PM

756 posts, read 2,574,400 times
Amen joedrsaved !

Old 04-17-2008, 09:42 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
2. By authority I mean why did they (churches not founded by the Apostles) break away from the original churches? With what authority. They all claim to be prophets, but disagree with each other. Is God arguing with Himself through His prophets?
"For other foundation can no man lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ."
The New Testament Church was founded by Jesus Christ, not by the Apostles. It didn't take long before people began leaving the Church and starting others... because of false doctrine, the cost of the cross, conformity to the world, etc. Many churches formed because of this, including the RCC.

Under the authority of Christ, the Church was given authority. No one has ever, or can ever, re-establish it, or build it on any other foundation.. it was started by Jesus and will endure until the end.

Last edited by cg81; 04-17-2008 at 10:09 AM..

Old 04-17-2008, 11:09 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,547,200 times
When someone can show me where the "Catholic Church" is authorized in the Bible,( the Word of God), then I will believe that it is The Church. Until then, I will continue to believe that it is an apostate church. Show me where Christ authorized all of the names and litergy used in the RCC. I can read where Jesus condemned religious titles, including calling someone "father".....Matthew 23:8,9&10. He also condemned those who teach "forbiding marriage, and abstaining form meat" 1 Timothy 4:1-3 . These are just the 'tip of the iceberg'!

Marian

Old 04-17-2008, 01:48 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
When someone can show me where the "Catholic Church" is authorized in the Bible,( the Word of God), then I will believe that it is The Church. Until then, I will continue to believe that it is an apostate church. Show me where Christ authorized all of the names and litergy used in the RCC. I can read where Jesus condemned religious titles, including calling someone "father".....Matthew 23:8,9&10. He also condemned those who teach "forbiding marriage, and abstaining form meat" 1 Timothy 4:1-3 . These are just the 'tip of the iceberg'!
Where did you get your Bible?

Old 04-17-2008, 03:04 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Where did you get your Bible?
Hey Mark,

Can you share the verses in scripture that explain the catholic church's teaching as the "true chruch". I'm just curious so I can look those verses up.
It seems to me that Jesus Christ is pretty clear where the church is founded upon.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:08 AM

208 posts, read 507,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Hey Mark,

Can you share the verses in scripture that explain the catholic church's teaching as the "true chruch". I'm just curious so I can look those verses up.
It seems to me that Jesus Christ is pretty clear where the church is founded upon.
Where are the words Trinity and Bible in the Bible? They're not in the Bible. That is why sola escriptura is very dangerous. I don't understand how so many people idolize and worship a book. When the U.S. Constitution was written over 200 years ago, our forefathers didn't just make copies of it and passed it out to the citizens and told them to interpret the new constitution there own way. On the contrary, the Constitution(holy Scripture) was written and a government(Magisterium) was formed and we have followed American tradition for over 2 centuries.

Jn 21:25, 'And there are also MANY OTHER THINGS WHICH JESUS DID,
the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose
that even the WORLD ITSELF COULD NOT CONTAIN THE BOOKS
THAT SHOULD BE WRITTEN. AMEN'.

The Catholic Church is like an equilateral triangle (equal lengths and angles in
all dimensions)? It is the strongest, most rigid geometric form in existence.
The Catholic Church is very careful to preserve 'Tradition'(notice the capita "T" - the Word of God, unlike the small 't" - man's traditions). It is one leg of a triangle of Church teaching. The other two legs are Holy Scripture and the Magisterium. No one leg can subsist without the other two. We have a triangle in the Holy Trinity, a triangle in the teaching of the Church, and a triangle in each living person, a body, soul, and spirit. The legs of each of these 3 triangles cannot be separated and still retain the attributes, integrity, and the meaning of the whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity