Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:39 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,442 times

Advertisements

Just thought it would be interesting discussion. If you know relgious history, you know that the Church as founded by Peter, Paul, and Mary (no..not the folk group..lol) is carried on today as the Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox (also known as Greek Orthodox Chruch).

If you feel that these churches are no longer the voice of Christ on Earth:

Where do you think the other churches get their authority from?

Do you beleive in all and only Apostolic churches?

Do you believe all churches are Apostolic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 09:56 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,640 times
Are you a practicing Catholic?

<><weather...

Old 03-27-2008, 10:10 AM

14,882 posts, read 17,156,182 times
Quote:
Just thought it would be interesting discussion. If you know relgious history, you know that the Church as founded by Peter, Paul, and Mary (no..not the folk group..lol) is carried on today as the Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox (also known as Greek Orthodox Chruch).

If you feel that these churches are no longer the voice of Christ on Earth:

Where do you think the other churches get their authority from?

Do you beleive in all and only Apostolic churches?

Do you believe all churches are Apostolic?
Hi, I believe that the Christian church is founded on Jesus Christ and that any one who is a believer is a member of this church. I don't think that it really has to do with an organization, but that this consists of the people of God who may worship anywhere. Jesus Christ is our authority, although I do believe that in the early church the apostles were given the authority to put forth the teachings and instructions for the collective body of Christ. I do believe that it is good for believers to come together as a group to worship and meet each other's needs, and be in service collectively as possible. God bless.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:12 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,053 times
I believe that "the Church" exists in congregations in which the Word is properly spoken and the sacraments properly administered, and that church authority is likewise distributed. This doesn't necessarily exclude the RCC or the EOC, but it doesn't necessarily follow Apostolic succession either. There are plenty of heterodox churches that follow Apostolic succession--so that's no real guarantee of proper teaching.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:16 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
being Catholic we "believe in one holy apostolic church".
i think the christian churches get their "authority" from their direct preachers. if you ever listen to christians they are always talking about what their preacher says...

Old 03-27-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
being Catholic we "believe in one holy apostolic church".
i think the christian churches get their "authority" from their direct preachers. if you ever listen to christians they are always talking about what their preacher says...

Hi findinghope, but do you believe that Catholics are Christians? All Christians are not always talking about what their preacher says. For example, some Christians do not belong organized churches or denominations. And some congregations, like the Church of Christ try to pattern themselves after the NT pattern and are under the leadership of elders and they base their teaching, authority on what they understand to be revealed in the scriptures. God bless.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:42 PM

i tend to seperate them: catholic and christian
i see Roman catholic, methodist, protistant, episcapalian and to an extent baptist as not the same but having similarites.
i think of the christian church as something else. like you said they follow their elders like those of the morman faith.

i see the first category of people as religious and the second as a little bit extreme.
just my opinion based on what i see hear and read.

i believe in God, i do attend mass, and i believe in think of my faith as a tradition and a fellowship, and that my belief and relationship in God is something inside of me as opposed to something forced on me.

i dont feel the need to preach to anyone and to yell in God's name.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:49 PM

Okay, thanks for sharing. I am seeing them like this. Catholics, Protestants, nondenominational believers, or anyone who says that they follow Jesus and believe that He died for their sins as Christians or believers. (Although only God knows all hearts) I am not that familiar with the Mormons but I am familiar with the church of Christ and it isn't that they follow the elders but they are under the leadership of the elders like it is presented in the New Testament. The elders are instructed to shepherd the flock of God, exercising oversight.... (1 Peter 5:1-2) So you would see the Christian church as those who are under elders as different from those who follow their preachers or take their authority from their preachers? God bless.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
i believe in God, i do attend mass, and i believe in think of my faith as a tradition and a fellowship, and that my belief and relationship in God is something inside of me as opposed to something forced on me.

i dont feel the need to preach to anyone and to yell in God's name.
Hi, I believe that people may respond differently to different styles of preaching or teaching. Personally, I don't get a lot out of a lot of yelling either, but I do have familly members who are inspired by what they see as powerful preaching. But, they aren't being forced to do anything by the preacher because they can always get up and walk out or accept what they hear or not which they sometimes do (accept what they hear or not) God bless.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:19 PM

well first catholics are christians, as are the other religious denominations i mentioned--we are all of the christian faith. but i mean the evangelists and mormons and people of those other churches when i say christians. i guess i feel like these christians and their elders or authories or preachers and always trying to have people "confess in Jesus' name" and things of that nature. catholics do have confession with a preist and no one else has the authroity to listen to a confession.
we are eased into it from birth through different vows we take like baptism, confession, communion and etc. that happen throughout our lives.
i feel like christians always need an audiance, or feel the need to profess their faith constantly and are always trying to get other people to join their "way" and conform to their vision of what the church should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity