Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 11:32 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,904,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Sorry, I don't recall you walking in prayer at all.
I need to 'walk in prayer' to receive 'holy' confirmation that mortals changed the original intent of the 7th-day Creation Sabbath to a bogus Sunday 'sabbath'? But, you're right, I certainly don't walk in prayer ...at all. I don't know what that means either. Does this make me a bad person? 'Walking in prayer' sounds much like the other typical rhetoric that many Christians are programmed to use on others who might disagree with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 06:11 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
The 7th-day Creation Sabbath had - and has - nothing to do with Christ Jesus. As for 'the church' having a better, superior rest in Christ Jesus, besides the rhetoric ...what does that even mean?

But there is a need and a point to have substituted a bogus Sunday 'sabbath' to replace the Creation Sabbath? This makes not a lick of sense to me.
Well, the only reason you are having trouble with saying that Sunday is the new "Sabbath" when the "Sabbath rest is in Christ" is because it makes no sense. I hope that helps.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:15 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, the only reason you are having trouble with saying that Sunday is the new "Sabbath" when the "Sabbath rest is in Christ" is because it makes no sense. I hope that helps.
So you admit that it makes no sense?...

Old 05-08-2018, 06:46 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Do you hate widows and orphans?
Oh yeah, of course...

Do you truly love His word?

Titus 3:8-10

8 You can trust what I have just said, and I want you to speak with confidence about these things, so that those who have put their trust in YHVH may apply themselves to doing good deeds. These are both good in themselves and valuable to the community.

9 But avoid stupid controversies, genealogies, quarrels and fights about the Torah; because they are worthless and futile. 10 Warn a divisive person once, then a second time; and after that, have nothing more to do with him. 11 You may be sure that such a person has been perverted and is sinning: he stands self-condemned.

The last verse scares the crap out of me personally. Carry on....

Old 05-08-2018, 07:21 AM

33,227 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
The 7th-day Creation Sabbath had - and has - nothing to do with Christ Jesus. As for 'the church' having a better, superior rest in Christ Jesus, besides the rhetoric ...what does that even mean?
You can't understand such a simple thing as Jesus being the believer's rest and a superior rest?

Matthew 11:28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Quote:
But there is a need and a point to have substituted a bogus Sunday 'sabbath' to replace the Creation Sabbath? This makes not a lick of sense to me.
The church began worshiping on Sunday right from the very beginning because it was the day that Jesus was resurrected. That doesn't mean that Sunday to is be regarded as a Sabbath day in which you are not permitted to do certain things despite the fact that many regard it as such.

Justin Martyr regarding Sunday worship;
Written c. A.D. 150-160

JUSTIN MARTYR -- THE FIRST APOLOGY OF JUSTIN

CHAPTER LXVII -- WEEKLY WORSHIP OF THE CHRIS- TIANS.

And we afterwards continually remind each other of these things. And the wealthy among us help the needy; and we always keep together; and for all things wherewith we are supplied, we bless the Maker of all through His Son Jesus Christ, and through the Holy Ghost. And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need. But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He taught them these things, which we have submitted to you also for your consideration. [Bolding mine]

Saint Justin Martyr: First Apology (Roberts-Donaldson)
The Didache, written c. AD. 50-120:
The Didache

The Lord's Teaching Through the Twelve Apostles to the Nations.

Chapter 14. Christian Assembly on the Lord's Day. But every Lord's day gather yourselves together, and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure. But let no one who is at odds with his fellow come together with you, until they be reconciled, that your sacrifice may not be profaned. For this is that which was spoken by the Lord: "In every place and time offer to me a pure sacrifice; for I am a great King, says the Lord, and my name is wonderful among the nations."

Didache. The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles (translation Roberts-Donaldson).
Barnabus:
Written c. AD. 80-120

The Epistle of Barnabas

15:8 And, further, he saith unto them, Your new
moons and your sabbaths I cannot endure. See, now,
what he meaneth. The sabbaths, that now are, are not
acceptable unto me, but that which I have made is,
even that in which, after that I have brought all
things to an end, I shall make a beginning of the
eighth day, which thing is the beginning of another
world.
15:9 Wherefore we keep the eighth day as a day of
gladness, on which also Jesus rose from the dead, and
after he had appeared ascended unto heaven.
[Bolding mine]

The Epistle of Barnabas (translation Charles H. Hoole)
Acts 20:7 On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul talked with them, intending to depart on the next day, and he prolonged his speech until midnight.
''Scripture never mentions any Sabbath (Saturday) gatherings by believers for fellowship or worship. However, there are clear passages that mention the first day of the week, Sunday. For instance, Acts 20:7 states that “on the first day of the week we came together to break bread.” Paul also urges the Corinthian believers, “On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income” (1 Corinthians 16:2). Since Paul designates this offering as “service” in 2 Corinthians 9:12, this collection may have been linked with the Sunday worship service of the Christian assembly. Historically, Sunday, not Saturday, was the normal meeting day for Christians in the church, and its practice dates back to the first century.

Christians worship on Sundays in celebration of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. It is very important to remember, though, Sunday worship is not commanded in the Bible, and Sunday has not replaced Saturday and become the Christian Sabbath. While the New Testament describes Christians gathering and worshipping on Sundays, it nowhere states that Sunday has replaced Saturday as the Sabbath. They key point in all of this is that we are not to limit our worship to any particular day of the week. We are to rest in the Lord every day. We are to worship the Lord every day.''

https://www.gotquestions.org/worship-on-Sunday.html
Long, long before Constantine officially sanctioned Sunday observance, the church, right from the very beginning chose to worship on Sunday because it was the day that Jesus was resurrected.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, it doesn't help at all. I'm not sure why we're playing 'simpletons' here but the 7th-day Sabbath is the very same one that receives a mention in the Ten Commandments. Remember them? And, since so many Christians get up in arms whenever they (the Ten Commandments) are removed from courthouses, schools and public buildings the TC are obviously still in vogue as far as 'Christianity' is concerned. Your 'Sabbath rest is in Christ' rhetoric is just that ...it's rhetoric. In practicality, one cannot apply this 'I rest in Christ' to their lives ...it simply does not make sense to either the average Christian or to the general non-Christian. Moreover, it has nothing to do with the 7th-day Sabbath initiated at Creation. It was my understanding that the 7th-day Sabbath (is there another?) was under discussion here.

The truth is that Sunday HAS replaced the 7th-day Sabbath. Just ask the average Christian what day is the Sabbath and they will invariably say, "Sunday." This is what they believe and they are seldom corrected. Moreover, some become quite militant when questioned on this and they attempt to defend 'their Sunday holy day' at all costs.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:31 AM

33,227 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
No, it doesn't help at all. I'm not sure why we're playing 'simpletons' here but the 7th-day Sabbath is the very same one that receives a mention in the Ten Commandments. Remember them? And, since so many Christians get up in arms whenever they (the Ten Commandments) are removed from courthouses, schools and public buildings the TC are obviously still in vogue as far as 'Christianity' is concerned. Your 'Sabbath rest is in Christ' rhetoric is just that ...it's rhetoric. In practicality, one cannot apply this 'I rest in Christ' to their lives ...it simply does not make sense to either the average Christian or to the general non-Christian. Moreover, it has nothing to do with the 7th-day Sabbath initiated at Creation. It was my understanding that the 7th-day Sabbath (is there another?) was under discussion here.

The truth is that Sunday HAS replaced the 7th-day Sabbath. Just ask the average Christian what day is the Sabbath and they will invariably say, "Sunday." This is what they believe and they are seldom corrected. Moreover, some become quite militant when questioned on this and they attempt to defend 'their Sunday holy day' at all costs.
I suggest that you read what I just posted in post #85.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:44 AM

To the recent 'rep' poster who thinks that I must be a 'Torah keeper' ...no, I'm certainly not. Christians are SO inconsistent when it comes to their Bible beliefs that I simply like to keep them on their toes!

Incidentally, probably like everyone else, I get reps occasionally that may also have an attached comment such as the one I'm responding to right now. While I've often given positive ratings to someone's post, I haven't yet given a rep containing a personal comment since, the truth be known, I don't know how. Not that I've especially gone out of my way to try to work it out.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I suggest that you read what I just posted in post #85.
I will and I'll also respond. Just give me time ... It will be tomorrow, however, since the hour is late here (Townsville, QLD, Australia) and if anyone is in dire need of 'beauty sleep' I certainly am . . .

Old 05-08-2018, 07:49 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,083 times
Quote:
To the recent 'rep' poster who thinks that I must be a 'Torah keeper' ...no, I'm certainly not. Christians are SO inconsistent when it comes to their Bible beliefs that I simply like to keep them on their toes!

Incidentally, probably like everyone else, I get reps occasionally that may also have an attached comment such as the one I'm responding to right now. While I've often given positive ratings to someone's post, I haven't yet given a rep containing a personal comment since, the truth be known, I don't know how. Not that I've especially gone out of my way to try to work it out.
Yup, that would be me. Apologies for the misunderstanding. I wasn't trying to stick a label on you. You just have speech that resembles such, which is not a bad thing.

The rep thing is the scale icon in the top right. Hope that helps. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity