Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 07:15 AM

88,125 posts, read 83,978,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
IRAN has that in place too.

Core message of the Bible? That "God" is imperfect, inconsistent, narcissistic, racist and intolerant.
That's because it was written by men, and those are characteristics of human beings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 07:37 AM

7,571 posts, read 6,029,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's because it was written by men, and those are characteristics of human beings.
I think it is because "god" and "gods" are inventions of men, which makes them extensions of the human experience.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:44 AM

18,845 posts, read 6,863,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Anyone who reads the Bible in its entirety will quickly see that Social Justice is the core of its teachings.

This is a predominant theme throughout the Old Testament prophets. It is not necessarily part of the Mosaic Law. However, it is that Law which is challenged by Jesus, Paul, and all other New Testament writers. The book of Hebrews starts with a claim that Jesus is greater than Moses was. I think of it as a way of attacking the Law.

So many Christians these days are focused on two key issues: Abortion and Homosexuality. But the fact is that these are not even mentioned that often in the Bible, if at all. Yet they are given GARGANTUAN importance. But if you were to look at the sections of the Bible which mention these issues, and compare it the Social Justice sections, you will see the TRUE difference. The true gargantuan issue of the Bible is social justice. Placing traditional Christian issues next to the true Bible issues, the result would be like looking at the planet earth next to the sun. The difference is gargantuan.

Not only that, but their own doctrines (as outlined in the Creeds) are also minute in comparison.

So why do Christians focus on these minute details? Shouldn't their focus be on what is at the core of the Bible?

Why are their doctrines and favorite memory verses taken out of the pea-sized group? Why don't any of them reflect the true core REPEATED and REPEATED and REPEATED messages of the Bible?

Why do they seem to completely ignore it? Are they truly blind?
Not even close. Jesus himself said there would always be the poor among us. Did he heal every single leper, every single lame person? Heal every single blind person? Did he steal from the rich to give to the poor? Did he eliminate slavery? He was concerned about the souls of man--not just their temporal status.

Now...is it a good thing to help those in need? Absolutely. Christians have historically done that. We are called to love others -- and that includes feeding the hungry and helping the sick. But the good news of the Gospel means we also preach Jesus. It's amazing...in Matthew 28 he gave us the command to go and preach the Gospel to all nations...not to simply feed and clothe them.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:08 AM

32,931 posts, read 26,160,446 times
Quote:
I think it is because "god" and "gods" are inventions of men, which makes them extensions of the human experience.
#3 Add to mensaguy's Reputation Report Post
Old 12-15-2016, 12:34 PM
mensaguy Moderator
Moderator since May 27, 2014
befriend

9,728 posts, read 9,938,840 times

In order to preserve the peace and harmony in the Christianity forum, the moderators have agreed that the following policy is in order. Please adhere.

This is the Christianity forum, where we discuss issues about Christianity. Obviously, the existence of God/Jesus is a given in such discussions, so arguments against the existence of God are off topic in the Christianity forum. Please confine any such discussions to the main Religion & Spirituality forum.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...um-update.html

Old 05-10-2018, 09:03 AM

15,797 posts, read 6,223,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Not even close. Jesus himself said there would always be the poor among us. Did he heal every single leper, every single lame person? Heal every single blind person? Did he steal from the rich to give to the poor? Did he eliminate slavery? He was concerned about the souls of man--not just their temporal status.

Now...is it a good thing to help those in need? Absolutely. Christians have historically done that. We are called to love others -- and that includes feeding the hungry and helping the sick. But the good news of the Gospel means we also preach Jesus. It's amazing...in Matthew 28 he gave us the command to go and preach the Gospel to all nations...not to simply feed and clothe them.
I see that as a snark comment to the objection raised over the price of the oil Mary used in preparation for His burial. Kinda like "hey Jesus, why don't you sell that oil and use the money to feed the poor?" Then Jesus threw shade back at Judas for being so petty. I don't think you should read an entire worldview to the poor over a bit of smack talk between Jesus and Judas.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:55 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,449,365 times
Quote:
I have always thought it somewhat suspicious how beneficial biblical teaching and Gods laws are to a secular society. Even if it none of it were real, it would still be a very effective way to control a large population of people.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:10 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,075,915 times
Quote:

Jesus may not have done EVERYTHING for EVERYONE, but Jesus was crucified because He dared to teach others TO HEAL, DENY THE RICH, and ELIMINATE SLAVERY.

What Jesus has done is SHOWN us what we must do...As Jesus said...

John 14:12

"I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:12 AM

18,845 posts, read 6,863,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I see that as a snark comment to the objection raised over the price of the oil Mary used in preparation for His burial. Kinda like "hey Jesus, why don't you sell that oil and use the money to feed the poor?" Then Jesus threw shade back at Judas for being so petty. I don't think you should read an entire worldview to the poor over a bit of smack talk between Jesus and Judas.
However you see it...it's true. Jesus had the power to eliminate poverty and sickness. And he didn't.

Again, what was his parting words in Matthew 28? Was his command to go and make sure all are treated fairly? Or was it to preach the Gospel? Historically, God has never been about just giving us a happy, wonderful life on earth.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:18 AM

15,797 posts, read 6,223,816 times
Quote:
However you see it...it's true. Jesus had the power to eliminate poverty and sickness. And he didn't.

Again, what was his parting words in Matthew 28? Was his command to go and make sure all are treated fairly? Or was it to preach the Gospel? Historically, God has never been about just giving us a happy, wonderful life on earth.
The Great Commission
16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

You think that scriptures applies to you? He was speaking to the 11 disciples. If you are still waiting for Jesus how can you tell anyone about Him?

Old 05-10-2018, 10:39 AM

88,125 posts, read 83,978,350 times
Quote:

The problem is that you think the Gospel is "you are bad by default, but your badness is goes away if you just believe xyz", and some of us think the Gospel is "you can be reconciled to Oneness by becoming a person who cares about others beyond yourself."

Simplified on both sides, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity