Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 10:06 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,021,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
The most simplistic argument against your ideology and you fold and resort to ridicule.

One more chance. You have a .00000008 sample size. Explain it to us please how that fits in with the definition of science. If you can’t answer this simple question, you need to get a refund on your education. And spare us the insults.

LOL.

You even embarrass the other fundies.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:10 PM

3,746 posts, read 2,954,504 times
The Earth is 4.5 Billion years old, I have absolutely no doubt about that one.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:42 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,285,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
The most simplistic argument against your ideology and you fold and resort to ridicule.

One more chance. You have a .00000008 sample size. Explain it to us please how that fits in with the definition of science. If you can’t answer this simple question, you need to get a refund on your education. And spare us the insults.
First off you never offered an argument against plate tectonics you showed a lack of understanding of what is science. That continents move was noted previously and even mapped out by Weggerner in the early 1900s and that is where continental drift came about. But scientists could not buy the concept that continents floated upon ocean crusts. When study upon the mantle discovered it was flowing lead to the hypothesis and then theory of plate tectonics. We also have the capability to study past plate movements in our geology and plate tectonics and lack of it on our moon, other moons and other planets.

Your sample size is a silly made up number and has zero to do with science, how sampling works or statistics. It's simply a meaningless number. We have been studying how river systems work for maybe 50 times longer which according to your idea of sample size means that we cannot have an idea of how river systems function, nor could we have large enough samples to measure planets revolving around the sun or if a medicine works.

It is an outright lie to say I folded and could not address your argument of sample size. It is simply that sample Sze is meaningless as is length of study in the ability to be able to form a valid theory.

I also challenged you to show that plate tectonics was not a valid theory which you have nor done. There was not a single mention in your definition of science that specified the length of time a topic needed to be studied nor tested hence your requirement that it must be studied for a long time does not fit the definition that you yourself 0rov8ded.

And again your sample size is a made up number by either yourself or others and is not in fact even a sample size.

If you wish to continue this discussion with me please do so in an honest manner. Otherwise I will let you claim a victory as life is too short to worry about how someone chooses to be dishonest in order to claim points. I'd rather spend my time exchanging posts with those who wish to have honest discussions.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:45 PM

10,955 posts, read 7,011,519 times
Man, people are still discussing this thread?!?

Old 05-25-2018, 11:06 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,021,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Man, people are still discussing this thread?!?
As long as ignorance of science remains at the heart of fundamentalism, it will always be discussed.

But most of the worst of the lot - the young-earth creationists and Genesis literalists - will be extinct soon.

Thank whatever God you deem worship-able.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:00 AM

16,591 posts, read 15,530,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I doubt very much that you've educated yourself on the issue. The fact that you believe sediment on the sea floor has any validity for measuring the age of the earth contraindicates your claim as does the fact that you don't seem to understand the difference between C14 dating and the Uranium-lead dating technique used on the zircon crystals in which individual atoms of lead were counted to arrive at an accurate dating. Since the decay rate of uranium to lead is known, the dating technique is reliable. But again, I doubt that you even read the article I posted.

And I think that I've demonstrated that I know what I'm talking about.

I did not make your point. I contrasted C14 dating with the dating method used on the zircon crystals in which individual atoms of lead were counted in order to provide an accurate count.

Now, Mensaguy has already hinted that the science discussion has gone on long enough.
Indeed, it has. For the last 3 pages of this thread (and possibly longer) there has been no mention of anything related to Christianity.

Instead, we have seen someone cite a reference from Answers in Genesis as if it had any basis in science, we have seen that some members here have a solid understanding of science, and for others, we have to wonder how they graduated from high school with passing grades in science classes.

However, it is not the mission of the Religion and Spirituality forums (or any of the sub-forums) to educate people about science or the proper use of scientific terms (although in some cases, it is badly needed).

Therefore, I really have no choice but to close the thread and affirm that the so-called "No Science" rule is indeed appropriate for these forums.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity