Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 11:09 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times

Advertisements

“Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;
for love is strong as death, passion fierce as the grave.
Its flashes are flashes of fire, a raging flame.
Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it
Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it.

If one offered for love all the wealth of one's house,
it would be utterly scorned.” SoS 8:6-7

God is love and love is unquenchable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 11:31 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
as a seal upon your arm;

LOVE that melts the HEART...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aopdD9Cu-So

Old 05-24-2018, 11:40 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
as a seal upon your arm;

Your idea of what the lake of fire is does not match that either of the Biblical writers or of the second temple period Jewish literature 1 Enoch from which the lake of fire imagery comes.
Revelation 20:10 And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Revelation 20:14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. 15] And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Matthew 25:41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. . . 46] And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
In the Bible the lake of fire is associated with eternal punishment. Not eternal life and blessing.

Some references to 1 Enoch concerning the punishment of the angels who in Genesis 6 left their abode and took human women as wives.
Enoch 10:16 Then shall they be taken away into the lowest depths of the fire in torments; and in confinement shall they be shut up for ever.

Enoch 10:17 Immediately after this shall he, (14) together with them, burn and perish; they shall be bound until the consummation of many generations.

Enoch 21:1 Then I made a circuit to a place in which nothing was completed.

Enoch 21:2 And there I beheld neither the tremendous workmanship of an exalted heaven, nor of an established earth, but a desolate spot, prepared, and terrific.

Enoch 21:3 There, too, I beheld seven stars of heaven bound in it together, like great mountains, and like a blazing fire. I exclaimed, For what species of crime have they been bound, and why have they been removed to this place? Then Uriel, one of the holy angels who was with me, and who conducted me, answered: Enoch, wherefore do you ask; wherefore do you reason with yourself, and anxiously inquire? These are those of the stars which have transgressed the commandment of the most high God; and are here bound, until the infinite number of the days of their crimes be completed.

Enoch 21:4 From there I afterwards passed on to another terrific place;

Enoch 21:5 Where I beheld the operation of a great fire blazing and glittering, in the midst of which there was a division. Columns of fire struggled together to the end of the abyss, and deep was their descent. But neither its measurement nor magnitude was I able to discover; neither could I perceive its origin. Then I exclaimed, How terrible is this place, and how difficult to explore!

Enoch 21:6 Uriel, one of the holy angels who was with me, answered and said: Enoch, why are you alarmed and amazed at this terrific place, at the sight of this place of suffering? This, he said, is the prison of the angels; and here they are kept for ever.

Book of Enoch
Just saying.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
LOVE that melts the HEART...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aopdD9Cu-So
Excellent. Any of us who harbor an inner Wicked Witch can happily sing along,

"Ding dong, the witch is dead."

Old 05-24-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Your idea of what the lake of fire is ...
The author of the Song of Solomon's idea, actually.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
The author of the Song of Solomon's idea, actually.
He wasn't talking about the lake of fire. You are the one trying to associate Solomon 8:6 with the lake of fire which as has been shown by other Biblical verses is a faulty and unwarranted association.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:04 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,290 times
For a prelude of the lake of fire, take a look at the burning lava boiling over in Hawaii.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
For a prelude of the lake of fire, take a look at the burning lava boiling over in Hawaii.
Not necessarily. Though the New Testament writers drew upon the imagery in 1 Enoch, that doesn't mean that the lake of fire has to be a literal fire as opposed to a place of suffering and judgment. Eternal separation from God involves an absence of any kind of blessing and happiness. Surely a cause of suffering.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
He wasn't talking about the lake of fire. You are the one trying to associate Solomon 8:6 with the lake of fire which as has been shown by other Biblical verses is a faulty and unwarranted association.
Hmmm. A raging fire that cannot be quenched. Sounds very Lake of Fire-ish to me.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:18 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
The heat coming from entertaining such hateful thought has got to be burning you up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity