Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 05:52 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times

Advertisements

A state of total humility and recognition of our sin. Only then can the love of God rest on us.

Luke 5

7So they signaled to their partners in the other boat to come and help them, and they came and filled both boats so full that they began to sink. 8When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus’ knees. “Go away from me, Lord, he said, “for I am a sinful man.”

Luke 18

The Pharisee and the Publican
9 And He also told this parable to some people who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and viewed others with contempt: 10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood and was praying this to himself: ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get.’ 13 But the tax collector, standing some distance away, was even unwilling to lift up his eyes to heaven, but was beating his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, the sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Luke 23

39 One of the criminals who were hanged there was hurling abuse at Him, saying, “Are You not the Christ? Save Yourself and us!” 40 But the other answered, and rebuking him said, “Do you not even fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? 41 And we indeed are suffering justly, for we are receiving what we deserve for our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.” 42 And he was saying, “Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!” 43 And He said to him, “Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 05:56 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
A state of total humility and recognition of our sin...snip...
That happens immediately before - and during - death.

I think for some people, the "during" will seem like forever.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:02 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Good post Jimmie. If one doesn't recognize that he is a sinner and is lost he will never feel the need to come to Christ for salvation.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:22 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
The first part of repentance is recognition, yes. The second part is turning AWAY. In general I'd venture to say that the recognition comes from recognition of what we need to turn TOWARD.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:30 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
What sinner? That's what I was lead to believe about myself until the self loathing was so great a was almost crushed by it. Grace is seeing yourself through God's eyes because He doesn't see us that way. That's the effects of the world bringing us down to our knees; He lifts us up when that happens. Being saved is being relieved of that burden. (This isn't directed at you or anyone in particular) but how can people go around and hurl that accusation of sinner at their fellowman. Those scriptures show a human being having been convinced that they are not worthy of God's love. It doesn't say that not being worthy is reality just that the person in those scriptures believed that to be the case.

Pleroo shared a song on Rbbi's praise thread that was a match for me. I can't relate to that sinner thing any more. I've been forgiven (it turns out I wasn't evil anyway...maybe a little slow but that;s OK)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKyY8zfjBMQ

Old 05-28-2018, 06:34 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Thankfully Jesus never said you need to be in any other state than that of believing him( not believing in him, the devil does that and fears and trembles) .

Old 05-28-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
What sinner? That's what I was lead to believe about myself until the self loathing was so great a was almost crushed by it. Grace is seeing yourself through God's eyes because He doesn't see us that way. That's the effects of the world bringing us down to our knees; He lifts us up when that happens. Being saved is being relieved of that burden. (This isn't directed at you or anyone in particular) but how can people go around and hurl that accusation of sinner at their fellowman. Those scriptures show a human being having been convinced that they are not worthy of God's love. It doesn't say that not being worthy is reality just that the person in those scriptures believed that to be the case.

Pleroo shared a song on Rbbi's praise thread that was a match for me. I can't relate to that sinner thing any more. I've been forgiven (it turns out I wasn't evil anyway...maybe a little slow but that;s OK)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKyY8zfjBMQ

L8, read what Jesus said to the tax collector.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
L8, read what Jesus said to the tax collector.
I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

...and?

Old 05-28-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

...and?
Read again what I said in post #1.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Read again what I said in post #1.
Did you miss the part where I said I was a little slow? Spell it out Jimmie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity