Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 01:35 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,499,963 times

Advertisements

How your parish can help those suffering from depression | USCatholic.org

A good article for what is happening now. Many celebrities killing themselves and we know by experience others people will follow when that happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 01:37 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,001,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
How your parish can help those suffering from depression | USCatholic.org

A good article for what is happening now. Many celebrities killing themselves and we know by experience others people will follow when that happens.
Yes--copycat behavior is a major issue for many things. It's why Britain doesn't report on suicides, and it's why the US media would do well to self-censor themselves on things like this, and other events of violence.

People need God. Our society is broken.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:43 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes--copycat behavior is a major issue for many things. It's why Britain doesn't report on suicides, and it's why the US media would do well to self-censor themselves on things like this, and other events of violence.

People need God. Our society is broken.
People need security, honest wages, health care and shelter. Too many celebrities have gone to the edge due to their notoriety.

Typically a large percentage of those who punch their own ticket do so because they believe they cannot live up to others' expectations of themselves or they cannot face others who they perceive to have disappointed.

A small minority will check out in an attempt to punish others close to them.

Pretty sure god could stop it if that were the plan. Not sure if petitioning and begging god with PLEASE STOP ME FROM KILLING MYSELF is the medication that people need?

Old 06-08-2018, 01:48 PM

It's a mental illness so just having money and everything else to make life easy won't do it.

If one is Christian, and this section is Christianity after all. One needs God and his healing. I know I prayed a lot when I was in depression. If not for Christ I do not know what I would have done.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:20 PM

https://www.dailywire.com/news/31625...aign=mattwalsh

"I think that problem is emptiness. There is an emptiness at the core of our culture, and from this root the suicide epidemic grows. We have fled from God, from meaning, from purpose, and embraced a soft kind of nihilism; a nihilism that will not call itself nihilism. It uses other words and slogans to describe itself. "You only live once," it says. "Live your truth." People are told that there is only one life, one reality, and it has no meaning aside from what you assign to it. But what happens when you no longer see meaning? Well, our culture says, if you do not see it then it is not there."

Old 06-11-2018, 08:31 PM

Default Church attendance linked with reduced suicide risk, especially for Catholics, study says

Church attendance linked with reduced suicide risk, especially for Catholics, study says

"Against a grim backdrop of rising suicide rates among American women, new research has revealed a blinding shaft of light: One group of women — practicing Catholics — appears to have bucked the national trend toward despair and self-harm."

Old 06-12-2018, 02:59 AM

Quote:
It's a mental illness so just having money and everything else to make life easy won't do it.

If one is Christian, and this section is Christianity after all. One needs God and his healing. I know I prayed a lot when I was in depression. If not for Christ I do not know what I would have done.
Prayed a lot? What took god so long?

Old 06-12-2018, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Church attendance linked with reduced suicide risk, especially for Catholics, study says

"Against a grim backdrop of rising suicide rates among American women, new research has revealed a blinding shaft of light: One group of women — practicing Catholics — appears to have bucked the national trend toward despair and self-harm."
Strange, most of the people I knew who punched their own ticket were very involved in their church. Seems they could not accept the fact that they did not have to be perfect to be loved by god..70% of them attended mass on a weekly basis.
So I am wondering if that link is not some propaganda written by a religious organization to instill yet more guilt on an already depressed person to belief that ONLY the church can change them and provide a life of bliss and ignorance?

Old 06-12-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Prayed a lot? What took god so long?
Because God's own time is the perfect time. I knew that.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Strange, most of the people I knew who punched their own ticket were very involved in their church. Seems they could not accept the fact that they did not have to be perfect to be loved by god..70% of them attended mass on a weekly basis.
So I am wondering if that link is not some propaganda written by a religious organization to instill yet more guilt on an already depressed person to belief that ONLY the church can change them and provide a life of bliss and ignorance?
I don't think so. It's important to know there is an afterlife. The church teaches that all the time. Something more than this life.

Sad you knew people who were that depressed. They didn't need to be perfect but depression takes many forms so who knows what they were thinking really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity