U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 02:13 PM

1,786 posts, read 400,847 times

Advertisements

Do to popular request it seems advisable to begin a new thread.

Questions

1. What is hell?

2. Is hell "eternal"?

3.If I make my bed in hell, why is He there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 02:19 PM

5,299 posts, read 1,337,111 times
Time for another universalism/nihilationist thread, I guess.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:20 PM

3,959 posts, read 1,496,071 times
We'll get many different answers here.

I'm only concerned with what it means to me. This is personal, and applies to each person's path in life. I'm not going to argue and debate over another person's life views and journey.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
We'll get many different answers here.

I'm only concerned with what it means to me. This is personal, and applies to each person's path in life. I'm not going to argue and debate over another person's life views and journey.
My friend that is a healthy response. Each of us must walk in His light and know for ourselves the path He lays before us. Thank you for your response.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:29 PM

23,403 posts, read 12,106,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post

Questions

1. What is hell?

2. Is hell "eternal"?

1. An invented threat to keep the sheep frightened and docile.

2. Only to those who believe it is so. They will find out personally.

3. You're probably in Las Vegas. You had too much to drink, proposed to the croupier, and he said "yes."

Old 06-15-2018, 03:29 PM

787 posts, read 297,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post

Questions

1. What is hell?

2. Is hell "eternal"?

1. Hell is an invention of the early church to make and keep members by means of fear.
2. no
3. I assume you are referring to a passage from the book of Psalms.

"If I ascend to the heavens, You are there; if I make my bed in Sheol, You are there."
- Psalm 139:8

Sheol is a Hebrew reference appearing often in the Old Testament. In simplest terms, sheol was a place where the dead slept. King David complained he would not be able to praise God in sheol since he would be sleeping the sleep of the dead. According to the Bible, spirits of the dead would sleep in sheol until summoned at some future time. That's it and that's all. God is said to be present everywhere, even in the bedroom of the dead.

Sheol ought not be confused with pagan Catholic references to Purgatory, which was adopted by the church as a device for squeezing donations out of living relatives on behalf of their dead friends and family. A prayer and a hefty contribution to the church would suffice to shorten the time a soul spent in Purgatory. It is not Biblical.

Hell was also a device invented by the Catholic church so as to make and keep members by means of fear. Dante Alighieri, an Italian poet of the 13th century, published a classic work on the ideas of hell purgatory and paradise called The Divine Comedy. In this book, he employed political sarcasm to describe the hoped for fate of certain corrupt officials of his day. Some passages name names as well as the terrible fate Dante hoped they would suffer. It was intended to be a huge joke! Unfortunately the book was taken seriously by clerics despite Dante's lack of theological training and obvious purposes in its publication. Today we refer to the word images Dante created as though they are gospel. They are not.

The ultimate unfortunate situation, which was spoken of by Jesus and the book of Revelation, is called the Second Death. It is most definitely not eternal, but finite destruction of a most permanent nature.

The meanings of words and the implications of those words are important if one is to glean truth from scripture. The Lake of Fire, described in the Bible, burns eternally. Death is permanent. The two are dissimilar - not the same. Death, a permanent end of the living process, cannot by inference or conjecture be an eternal continuation.

Death
When a plant or animal dies its continuous living processes end.

Biological functions cease, never to be restored or regenerated. Once the bio-chemical reactions cease the processes of putrefaction begin their work only to end when the body of the animal or planet is completely decomposed or its nutrients absorbed by other living creatures. Death is permanent and irreversible. There is no continuing process in death. Death is the absolute termination of life, which means there is no more of it. Ever. Permanently.

As it is for the physical body so it is for the spirit. The Second Death is the destiny of spirits both human and demonic. Spiritual continuation/life ceases - permanently. The Lake of Fire is the method and device by which this destruction is performed.

Eternity
Eternity is an endless measureless expanse of activity and/or continuation.

That which is eternal does not end - ever. Examples of eternal processes or objects are the ocean, the sun and the stars in the sky. The ocean continues its movements and constant agitation year after year for centuries and epochs unknown to the histories and suppositions of man. Ages pass, but the ocean rolls on. The sun burns in the sky as it has burned since before the birth of our planet. Together with the ocean these things are the closest to eternal processes we can imagine or observe. They do not end. They continue eternally.

Second Death
The Bible states that the Lake of Fire, which burns eternally, consumes those spirits cast into it permanently. This process is spiritual and is called The Second Death. The first death is physical and permanent. Likewise the Second Death is spiritual and also permanent. It's the end.

The Second Death is therefore a permanent termination of a spirit, human or demonic, in a fire which burns eternally. When exposed to the Lake of Fire a spirit is extinguished forever. There is no scripture that implies otherwise. There is no eternal suffering. The Second Death is permanent spiritual destruction.

There is no suggestion in scripture that God has created or supports eternal suffering. The phrase eternal death is an oxymoron - a term that is at once both incoherent and confused. There is no such thing as eternal death because death is permanent.

Since death is the permanent conclusion of living processes, there is nothing eternal about it. Everything stops, permanently.

Resurrection
The Bible promises that God will one day awaken all those who sleep in sheol and judge them according to how they accepted or rejected God during their lives on earth. But the Bible goes further. It even suggests that some of sheols' residents have already arisen and that the entire situation was changed two thousand years ago. But that is a subject for another post.

For now it is sufficient to state that according to the Bible there is no eternal violence perpetrated upon sinners in the superheated realm of everlasting Abaddon. It is clearly stated that those who reject the mercy of God in life are themselves rejected by God at the time of physical death. Their spirits are given to permanent destruction in the Lake of Fire, which burns eternally. Spirits in the Lake of Fire do not burn eternally. They are consumed permanently. They die a second time.

They are wild waves of the sea, foaming up their shame; wandering stars, for whom blackest darkness has been reserved forever.
- Jude 1:13

The Lake of Fire does not burn with crimson and gold flames. It's tongues of black darkness devours spirits in much the same way a black hole eats stars in the sky. The darkness is eternal. The spiritual destruction is permanent.

Time is short and the opportunity to repent and make peace with THE ONE who can kill with the Second Death is at hand.
Repent and live.
Refuse and the Second Death awaits.

Born once, die twice. Born twice, die once.

Choose wisely and escape while you have the chance. Make peace with God now.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Last edited by Choir Loft; 06-15-2018 at 03:58 PM..

Old 06-15-2018, 03:33 PM

5,299 posts, read 1,337,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
1. An invented threat to keep the sheep frightened and docile.

2. Only to those who believe it is so. They will find out personally.

3. You're probably in Las Vegas. You had too much to drink, proposed to the croupier, and he said "yes."
Your attempt to hijack the thread aside, that wasn't the question that the OP was asking.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:36 PM

23,403 posts, read 12,106,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Your attempt to hijack the thread aside, that wasn't the question that the OP was asking.
Rose is a friend. I answered truthfully* and made no attempt to hijack her thread. Once again, you twist dishonestly.

If she has an objection, she can make it.

You can go back to minding your own business now.

*Well, for the first 2...

Old 06-15-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Rose is a friend. I answered truthfully* and made no attempt to hijack her thread. Once again, you twist dishonestly.

If she has an objection, she can make it.

You can go back to minding your own business now.

*Well, for the first 2...
We are indeed friends! I appreciate you sticking up for me and stopping in to this wee corner. We all are on different stages of a journey whose beginning and ending is the Lord. May He expand us all.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:17 PM

2,561 posts, read 1,703,694 times
I don't believe Hell is eternal, although there may be some suffering initially, the vast majority will ultimately all be purified.
The soul is eternal, so Annihilation would only be used in the most extreme circumstances.
The thought of such a place as Hell existing indefintely is reprehensible, and the punishment does not befit the crime.
Being in agony from Hellfire is one thing, but then being tormented by Demons - who probably know every piece of dirty laundry that ever happened in your life, and are going to taunt you with that forever?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity