Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 04:49 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

I've been reading all four of the gospels during the past month. The truth seems pretty clear. These were not literal stories. They were political.

The "world" described in the them is a political one. Jesus claimed to be "above" this world. Which meant that he did not identify with the political world of his day.

This means that when the gospels refer to the "world" or the "universe" or the "heavens" they are not supposed to be taken literally.

A really big clue is when he implies that his being a "Son of God" is merely the fact that he is a son of the Pharisees. The Pharisees being something within humanity that went back in time in various forms since the beginning of human history.

There is not a one-for-one translation between every symbol in these stories, and an exact equivalent in real life. A symbolic story can explain deep truths in a way that uses everyday things to represent concepts.

I wish more people could read the Bible this way. I feel like most people read everything piecemeal, rather than as one book. This serves to "divide and conquer" the real meaning of the stories.

Can anyone else see what seems to be so clear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 05:33 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,993,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I've been reading all four of the gospels during the past month. The truth seems pretty clear. These were not literal stories. They were political.

The "world" described in the them is a political one. Jesus claimed to be "above" this world. Which meant that he did not identify with the political world of his day.

This means that when the gospels refer to the "world" or the "universe" or the "heavens" they are not supposed to be taken literally.

A really big clue is when he implies that his being a "Son of God" is merely the fact that he is a son of the Pharisees. The Pharisees being something within humanity that went back in time in various forms since the beginning of human history.

There is not a one-for-one translation between every symbol in these stories, and an exact equivalent in real life. A symbolic story can explain deep truths in a way that uses everyday things to represent concepts.

I wish more people could read the Bible this way. I feel like most people read everything piecemeal, rather than as one book. This serves to "divide and conquer" the real meaning of the stories.

It is amazing what those with a liberal theology come up with to reject the truth without any evidence. The only politics in the Gospels it what liberal try to read into them to push their own agenda.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:05 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:

The birth, life, death, and resurrection of Jesus are literal historical events and are portrayed as such in the four Gospels. Nor did Jesus claim to be 'a' Son of God, but 'the' Son of God. The four Gospels are historical, and are considered by many scholars today to be most closely related to Graeco-Roman biographies in terms of their literary genre.

Christianity is based on actual historical events. Not on fictional accounts.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:37 AM

1,196 posts, read 753,272 times
Quote:
(James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him). see also (Pro. 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding), you're leaning on what you believe, instead of the truth. you've been reading the books, but without accurate knowledge. you said the "world" that Jesus speaks of is political, when Jesus spoke of "giving Caesar what belongs to him" ,(Matt. 22:21), he was referring to the governments. when you refer to the bible, it's important to add scriptures. it can help prove what you're referring to. or at lease showed it's not just something you're saying.

when Jesus spoke of the "WORLD", he was for the most part referring to people and /or the actual Earth ,(John 17:14 I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world). when Jesus said at ,(John 17:16 "They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world"). he was referring to PEOPLE. true Jesus wasn't from earth, but when he said..."they are NOT of the world", alongside with himself. here he was speaking on NOT doing as those who did NOT worship his Father, which is the world of most humans. many Christians do try to followed his steps ,(Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me).

there are times when Jesus is speaking symbolically, such as when he spoke of a camel going through a eye of a needle ,(Matt. 19:24 ). he was basically saying it would be harder for someone who refuse to listen to Jehovah God's words to be saved. any adult knows that a camel can't fit through the eye of an needle. but when Jesus told us to pray...("Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven" ,Matt.6:10), it WAS LITERAL. (Rev. 5:10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth). Jesus with his Heavenly Angels taken from Earth. will soon lead a righteous NEW Earthly government.

also, Jesus NEVER called himself the "son of Pharisees"! first because they were acting fowl. but secondly he knew that his Father was in Heaven. you should had post the verse you claim to be speaking. of you also said "I wish more people could read the Bible this way" and "most people read everything piecemeal, rather than as one book". but you said that you read the "four gospels", are you not doing the same?. the bible is "Clear", when it speaks be it symbolic or literal. there's a message from Jehovah God through Jesus and MANY other writers of those times, (2Tim. 3:16,17).

which is if we want to be saved, we have to get to know both Jesus and Jehovah God ,(John 17:3). we should follow in Jesus steps. we must do Jesus Father's "WILL", not just call on Jesus. if we want life ,(Matt. 7:21). and soon ALL worldly governments along with satan will be destroyed ,(Dan.2:44 and Rev. 20:10). then there will be a new government over the Earth, which ONLY the righteous will live Peaceful ,(Matt. 5:5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth). ALL LITERAL! ,now can you see what's truly clear? peace

Old 06-26-2018, 11:47 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:

When you start with the presuppositions that they are simply fiction, one can read anything into them, as you do here.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
When you start with the presuppositions that they are simply fiction, one can read anything into them, as you do here.
But surely, even if you go beyond the political message into a more religious interpretation, wouldn't you say that there is still a political message on a certain level?

Old 06-27-2018, 06:54 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,993,887 times
Quote:
But surely, even if you go beyond the political message into a more religious interpretation, wouldn't you say that there is still a political message on a certain level?

Why dont you post what you consider a political message so we have somethng to evaluate?

Old 06-27-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
To a point, yes. Jesus will change a person. That results in us having different values, and we will then conflict with those around us.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Why dont you post what you consider a political message so we have somethng to evaluate?
Money is evil?

Old 06-27-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Money is evil?
Do you think the Bible says that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity