Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 04:49 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

Colossians 1:13-21

In this passage in Colossians 1, Paul makes a lot of claims about who and what Jesus is. My question is, how would he know any of this? How does the reader confirm that each word is true and not edited later? Especially regarding things working in some allegedly supernatural realm.

My view is that he wouldn't know these supernatural things. To me, a lot of what Paul is writing sounds like "damage control". Some of it was explicitly that. But some of it was more vague. He was very aware of the negative image people would have had of him at that time, after being a well known persecutor of Christians in the recent past. So it sounds like he is just giving Jesus a lot of praise in order to convince people that he was one of them now.

But Christians today take that *praise* and turn it into dogma, as if it were something to be understood literally.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 01:16 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

In this passage in Colossians 1, Paul makes a lot of claims about who and what Jesus is. My question is, how would he know any of this? How does the reader confirm that each word is true and not edited later? Especially regarding things working in some allegedly supernatural realm.

My view is that he wouldn't know these supernatural things. To me, a lot of what Paul is writing sounds like "damage control". Some of it was explicitly that. But some of it was more vague. He was very aware of the negative image people would have had of him at that time, after being a well known persecutor of Christians in the recent past. So it sounds like he is just giving Jesus a lot of praise in order to convince people that he was one of them now.

But Christians today take that *praise* and turn it into dogma, as if it were something to be understood literally.

What do you think?
I have no trouble believing that Paul received it directly from encounters with the Comforter since that is how I came to know the nature of God.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:27 AM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Paul was given great revelation of Christ through the Spirit of God ... believers today are given great revelation of Christ , but should confirm it with the Bible

Old 07-14-2018, 05:13 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:

What do you think?
From what I see, outside of the Twelve, Paul was the only other Apostle, and that self-proclaimed...So, That would make 13 Apostles...And it was clearly Peter whom G-d had chosen to take the gospel message to the Gentiles...It’s right there in Acts at the Jerusalem Council that Peter makes that assertion...Have you ever thought that G-d may have deliberately caused the NT to be written and compiled in such a way that genuinely seeking people would use logic to decipher it and come to the realization that truth is hidden amongst lies?...Likeca needle in a haystack...The one who finds the needle is the one earnestly seeking truth...Considering that Isaiah 56 is G-d stating how Gentiles are to become righteous...

Old 07-14-2018, 06:11 AM

It's all so political. Back then we would have just seen it as politics rather than religion. A lot of it sounds like "buttering up" someone. Picture Paul as a speaker at a ceremony. He is using flattering speech to make himself more accepted by the congregation. He tells them all how they were chosen by God, etc. He's still practicing the damage control regarding his previous political affiliation.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:29 AM

Many of the early Christians might not have even liked Paul. They might have been more associated with Peter or James, etc. But Paul was so aggressive and well-known, they tolerated him.

They might have taken his letters with a grain of salt.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:04 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
...Have you ever thought that G-d may have deliberately caused the NT to be written and compiled

in such a way that genuinely seeking people would use logic to decipher it
and come to the realization that truth is hidden amongst lies?...
Like a needle in a haystack...The one who finds the needle is the one earnestly seeking truth...
Love it, Richard!

I have known to look and find the truth in scripture...but, I had never considered God
had done this deliberately.
It would sort of fit since Jesus spoke in Parables that were not that easy to decipher.

On topic, Paul said some great things and then not such great things, I must ignore as
speaking to just that one town...they were just letters, for Pete's sake, meant just for them at that time. And I'm sure they needed to hear his words.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Love it, Richard!

I have known to look and find the truth in scripture...but, I had never considered God
had done this deliberately.
It would sort of fit since Jesus spoke in Parables that were not that easy to decipher.

On topic, Paul said some great things and then not such great things, I must ignore as
speaking to just that one town...they were just letters, for Pete's sake, meant just for them at that time. And I'm sure they needed to hear his words.
Every Christian on this forum is a "Cafeteria" Bible reader who only selects and repeats certain verses. You and I are no different or any less "biblical" than those conservative believers.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:41 AM

1,183 posts, read 536,459 times
Quote:

What do you think?
Some observations...

Paul probably knew quite a bit about Christian philosophy before Jesus knocked him on his rear. He just wasn’t a Jesus follower before then

Paul spent some years with the apostles/disciples before preaching.

Paul actually heard Jesus’ voice. It very possible he may have had direct communication multiple times. Example of the thorn in his flesh. The Lord’s response? ‘My grace is sufficient ‘

Old 07-14-2018, 10:55 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:

What do you think?

He spent 3 years in the Arabian desert with Jesus. https://www.ligonier.org/learn/devot...ation-of-paul/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity