Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 06:45 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,994,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
How childish. And unsurprising.

How childish to make a comment but can't prove it. Of course that is your usual MO. Since you have never done it, you have no way of knowing it is childish. Again you are over your head in this subject.

That thought comes from C.S. Lewis and I believe everyone in the forum will consider him far more intelligent than you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I am no scholarly religious ideologue ... But it appears you FORGET that all writings ( surround GOD/ALLAH/ WHATEVER Deity described) surrounding religion ( any religion) were written by human beings... You know those frail tempted human's who interpret their impressions of the times they lived... Believe me.. Even today, theologians/ Preachers of God's words interpret God's word every Sunday... SO PLEASE , just because some religious human beings suggest COMPLETE obedience Doesn't make it so!!

God, is of LOVE..NOT Vengeance .. tho some religious sects try to portray such scenario's. Human's are NOT perfect, and every single one SINS daily. You know, Freedom of choice thingy.

Final Judgement happens after one's soul moves beyond LIFE as we know it.. and it's our spirit that will be judged by THE totality of our "Life Span"!! Certainly NOT, whether or not we paid our tithed $$ to some church or supported someone that didn't really deserve to be.. YET some human's judge you on that level daily!!

"GOD ( Allah/Buddha/whatever name assigned to their deity) are ONE in the SAME >Something greater than us.. A Greater power whatever! The Old Testament and New Testament (post Christ) are often quoted to prove someone's view.. Yet if both are read.. There's a totally different TONE. New Testament was tolerant, forgiving, offering HOPE.. While Old Testament was rigid, demanding and intolerant to human frailties.

Boy, IF my Bolded is how you believe you have to live everyday of your life... No human being could ever live up to that standard. It helps when one possess " Empathy" or cares about others who aren't as fortunate.. or be kind to others when NOT demanded.. It's what's IN your Heart.. and your desire to "Help those who cannot Help themselves" etc etc.. It's all write-in various ways in the New Testament!!

GOD is NOT RIGID.. He wants all to Learn Life lessons NOT always become Rich or success in society judgement ... But somehow overcome obstacles , give time, efforts to others when you can, Make difference in this world... the old saying..
Matthew 19:24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
◄ Matthew 19:24 ►

snip of a few versions~~

The were written by men inspired by God as to what to write.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
They cannot all be right, but they can all be wrong.

"Can be," includes that at least one can be right.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:57 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
The Bible speaks often of those God has chosen, the Jews, the disciples, the elect. The Bible describes those who are part of the church as those who are predestined, elected, chosen. The Bible speaks often of the separation on the last day of the righteous and the wicked. The Bible speaks of two paths, one to life and one to destruction.

Plus The Bible speaks about God very clearly as three persons, which is why Jesus commands baptism be done in the names of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Our imagination cannot create God. God is who He is and no amount of saying "I don't believe in you" can make Him go away.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:16 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The Bible speaks often of those God has chosen, the Jews, the disciples, the elect. The Bible describes those who are part of the church as those who are predestined, elected, chosen. The Bible speaks often of the separation on the last day of the righteous and the wicked. The Bible speaks of two paths, one to life and one to destruction.

Plus The Bible speaks about God very clearly as three persons, which is why Jesus commands baptism be done in the names of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Our imagination cannot create God. God is who He is and no amount of saying "I don't believe in you" can make Him go away.

If there is a capital-G-worthy God, it in no way resembles the horrible thing depicted in the bible.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:33 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,613,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Any god worthy of a capital G would have no need, nor desire, to be worshiped.

Exactly.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:37 AM

179 posts, read 83,072 times
I'm just going to give a simple short answer here. Religion cannot save anyone. Jesus is the only way to salvation (John 10). There is no other gate one can enter except through Jesus Christ.

Those who lived before Christ and lived lives pleasing to God were saved. Clement of Rome mentions the people of opposite earth in this most brilliant shot statement:

Quote:
“The ocean, impassable for men, and the worlds beyond it are governed by the same decrees of the Master” (20:8).
Origen explains what Clement is saying here:

Quote:
“Clement indeed, a disciple of the apostles, mentions those whom the Greeks call “people of the opposite earth,” and speaks of other parts of the world which none of our people can reach, nor can any of those who live there cross over to us; and these parts themselves he called “worlds,” when he says, “The ocean is impassable to men, and the worlds beyond it are governed by the same ordinances of God the Ruler” (On First Principles, Chapter III verse 6).
So here in the 1st century Clement is speaking about people on the other side of the globe---yes, globe (as antipodes cannot live on a flat earth)--and how God is receiving them. Here is more evidence in support:

An Old Indian Chief Speaks about Washington.

This is one of my favorite accounts of President George Washington which is often cited in many discussions on social media. This event happens before Washington becomes the 1st President of the United States. This account is taken from "America's God And Country: Encyclopedia Of Quotations" by William J. Federer, p.636-637,

Quote:
//"Fifteen years later, Washington and Dr.Craik, a close friend of his from his youth, were traveling through those same woods near the Ohio River and Great Kanawha River. They were met by an old Indian chief, who addressed Washington through an interpreter:

"I am chief and ruler over my tribes. My influence extends to the waters of the great lakes and to the far blue mountains.
I have traveled a long and weary path that I might see the young warrior of the great battle. It was on the day when the white man's blood mixed with the streams of the forests that I first beheld this chief [Washington].
I called to my young men and said, mark yon tall and daring warrior? He is not of the red-coat tribe - he hath an Indian's wisdom, and his warriors fight as we do - himself alone exposed.
Quick, let your aim be certain, and he dies. Our rifles were leveled, rifles which, but for you, knew not how to miss - 'twas all in vain, a power mightier far than we, shielded you.
Seeing you were under the special guardianship of the Great Spirit, we immediately ceased fire at you. I am old and soon shall be gathered to the great council fire of my fathers in the land of shades, but ere I go, there is something bids me speak in the voice or prophecy:
Listen! The Great Spirit protects that man [pointing at Washington], and guides his destinies--he will become the chief of nations, and a people yet unborn will hail him as the founder of a mighty empire. I am come to pay homage to the man who is the particular favor favorite of Heaven, and who can die in battle."

The famous Indian warrior, who was in that battle, said:

"Washington was never born to be killed by a bullet! I had seventeen fair fires at him with my rifle, and after all could not bring him to the ground."//
So what we read here further confirms Clement's words about how the people of opposite earth "are governed by the same decrees of the Master” (God). All this was understood by Clement 2000 years before Columbus discovered the new world!

What needs to be understood here in the present is that there are no more excuses. There was a time when calling God the Great Spirit was good enough. But that is not today. God does not want us to remain ignorant or will He continue to tolerate ignorance either. God has made all things clear to all people and those who listen and obey will be saved and those who chose to rebel against God are eternally lost.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:56 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Does it matter what your affiliation is.....does God care who worships Him?
Miss Hepburn's Official 2 cents:

Oh my goodness...if even an earthly King can accept a homeless, uneducated, beggar
in rags into his court to offer respect and maybe a vegetable he grew,
who would a Father, God Creator of all existence not accept love from?

Worship is a spontaneous by-product of awe...Awe of the Divine comes from knowing, experiencing
God 'up-close and personal'...otherwise worship is towards an idea,
a hope of such a Being, stories told that lift the heart, like worshipping a photo of someone you have
only heard of.
True worship can only be when one 'knows' the object directly.

-from Miss Hepburn's personal dictionary

Old 07-30-2018, 08:59 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendOfAMind View Post
Every church/denomination will tell you their church/denomination is the "one"... who knows?
That is not true, although it's a popular thing to say that pops up on this forum from time to time.

My church/denomination not only does not claim that it is the only "right" one, it does not claim Christianity to be the only valid spiritual path. And I know that we are not the only church like that.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:02 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is not true, although it's a popular thing to say that pops up on this forum from time to time.

My church/denomination not only does not claim that it is the only "right" one, it does not claim Christianity to be the only valid spiritual path. And I know that we are not the only church like that.
Glad somebody finally said it!!!....Hey how long has your name been up in lights, girl?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity