Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 08:43 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,112,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Interesting thread. I may be mistaken, but I see no comments from a known Catholic on the board.

There is one crazy guy telling me I'M catholic. There are others chiming in on whether it's Biblical, others stating pork is not kosher, etc. Strange how this thread has wandered off course. I'll be interested to see how long that continues.
Must one identify themselves to be of a particular sect?

Personally, I like 80% of what the Pope has said, but must I confess to Catholicism to be counted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 09:12 AM

18,880 posts, read 6,896,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Must one identify themselves to be of a particular sect?

Personally, I like 80% of what the Pope has said, but must I confess to Catholicism to be counted
I'm just asking for their opinions. If I had a question about Mormon doctrine or pracitices, I'd want to talk to a Mormon, right? I've been told that I'm not qualified to speak about Mormonism because I'm not a Mormon. So I'd just be curious to see what a Catholic thinks.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:17 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,982,538 times
Quote:
So did the Pharisees

They also had 613 rules they made up that are not Biblical and hey didn't even follow the ones God gave them.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:19 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,982,538 times
Quote:
Did I not do just that?

I couldn't find it if you did.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:23 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,992,976 times
Quote:
just like the question says.

Is the Pope infallible in his recent statements on it? I'd love to get the opinion of my Catholic friends, please.
An eye for an eye, turn the other cheek, who knows?

Old 08-07-2018, 09:31 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,674,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
They also had 613 rules they made up that are not Biblical and hey didn't even follow the ones God gave them.
Must I always be plagued by biblical ignoramuses?

Quote:
Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.
Exodus 21:17
and

Quote:
If there is anyone who curses his father or his mother, he shall surely be put to death; he has cursed his father or his mother, his bloodguiltiness is upon him.
Leviticus 20:9
Oh, I'm sorry "stoning" is not "literally" in those verses, so using sticks is perfectly acceptable to kill those children!

The 613 rules that the Pharisees "made up" are each and everyone found in that "inerrant" bible you worship. From a right wing extremist bible-believer's website:
Quote:
There are a whole lot more than only 10 Commandments found in the Old Testament, there are 613 Commandments! Below is a list of the 613 mitzvot commandments (mitzvot is plural, mitzvah is singular).
All 613 Commandments in the Old Testament Law of Moses

Just quoting that "bible" that you think is inerrant but which you've never bothered to study.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:50 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,335,065 times
Quote:
just like the question says.

Is the Pope infallible in his recent statements on it? I'd love to get the opinion of my Catholic friends, please.
Wikipedia
Papal infallibility

Papal infallibility is a dogma of the Catholic Church that states that, in virtue of the promise of Jesus to Peter, the Pope is preserved from the possibility of error "when, in the exercise of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians, in virtue of his supreme apostolic authority, he defines a doctrine concerning faith or morals to be held by the whole Church."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_infallibility

Papal infallibility is official dogma of the Catholic church, because the Catholic church has declared it to be so. The perpetual virginity of Mary has also been declared official dogma by the Catholic church. The possibility that Mary's chasity was ever compromised is repuganant to humanity, according to the Catholic church. Joseph was an old man, a widower, when he married Mary, incapable of sexual relations. The siblings of Jesus as mentioned in the Gospels:

Mark 6:
[3] Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.

Matt. 13:
55] Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?

Were actually the product of Joseph's first marriage. Again, according to Catholic dogma.

Are these conclusions affirmed in the NT? Well, no. But they COULD be true. Truth by popular declaration has always been a part of Christian mythology.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:52 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,696,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
To think those people kept kosher all their life to then begin eating swine is ridiculous, Those Jewish believers became even more zealous in keeping the law, they didn't change because you want to think of them in sin, they didn't eat pork and I have every reason in the world to make this claim. For you to insinuate that they began eating swine is saying that they are going to go against everything they were taught or knew, it's ridiculous.
Jesus made all things clean. To cling to the Old Testament teaching of unclean and forbidden foods simply demonstrates that you do not understand what Jesus did and what is taught in the New Testament.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:54 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,696,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Post the verse where it is said to stone children.
I'm sure you have access to the Old Testament. Go read it for yourself.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:59 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,579,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Wikipedia
Papal infallibility

Papal infallibility is a dogma of the Catholic Church that states that, in virtue of the promise of Jesus to Peter, the Pope is preserved from the possibility of error "when, in the exercise of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians, in virtue of his supreme apostolic authority, he defines a doctrine concerning faith or morals to be held by the whole Church."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_infallibility

Papal infallibility is official dogma of the Catholic church, because the Catholic church has declared it to be so. The perpetual virginity of Mary has also been declared official dogma by the Catholic church. The possibility that Mary's chasity was ever compromised is repuganant to humanity, according to the Catholic church. Joseph was an old man, a widower, when he married Mary, incapable of sexual relations. The siblings of Jesus as mentioned in the Gospels:

Mark 6:
[3] Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.

Matt. 13:
55] Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?

Were actually the product of Joseph's first marriage. Again, according to Catholic dogma.

Are these conclusions affirmed in the NT? Well, no. But they COULD be true. Truth by popular declaration has always been a part of Christian mythology.
That is correct. For an edict of the Pope to be considered infallible, he must declare that he is speaking ex-cathedra from the throne of St. Peter. Otherwise it is a direction and subject to re-interpretation at a later time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity