Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 09:49 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Just as there are differing rewards for those entering heaven so there will be different levels of punishment in hell. Judgment has a purpose. Believers receive ONLY rewards, expected to be different areas of authority while ruling WITH Christ, although little is said about this. Hell is what it is, eternal torment and separation from God which no one can comprehend because none of us has ever been totally isolated from God so far............you don't want to go there......
The underworld is merely the abode of the dead, and there is no thought in the grave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 10:08 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,100,245 times
High-living bosses who pay their workers pennies are subjected to the worst punishments in Hell.

Those who aren't found in Hell:

* shoplifters
* saboteurs
* Robin Hood

Old 08-05-2018, 10:19 PM

110 posts, read 67,153 times
"Truly I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city. Matthew 10:15

In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but yourselves being thrown out. Luke 13:28

Luke 16:19-31

19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

Yes there are degrees in hell. Everything from those who can actually converse about their torment being in flames (yes it's a parable but wouldn't contain untruths regarding hell) to those who are weeping and knashing their teeth together. It will be more tolerable, the first verse, pretty much tells you there are degrees of hell.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:27 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BagelLover View Post
"Truly I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city. Matthew 10:15

In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but yourselves being thrown out. Luke 13:28

Luke 16:19-31

19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

Yes there are degrees in hell. Everything from those who can actually converse about their torment being in flames (yes it's a parable but wouldn't contain untruths regarding hell) to those who are weeping and knashing their teeth together. It will be more tolerable, the first verse, pretty much tells you there are degrees of hell.
Christianisms hell is non-existent, it's a belief that was borrowed from other religions during the Hellenistic period (c. 300 bc–c. ad 300).

Old 08-05-2018, 10:28 PM

63,808 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Christianisms hell is non-existent, it's a belief that was borrowed from other religions during the Hellenistic period (c. 300 bc–c. ad 300).
LMAO

Old 08-05-2018, 10:33 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
There is a special hell for anyone who likes Alanis Morsette, they are already known, we know who they are.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:52 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
"Hell" is a state of mind in the here and now, and Christians are as prone to being in torment as non-Christians. It's not punishment, but it is the natural consequence of being out of harmony with the God who is love. For instance, if we are condemning others or ourselves, that brings torment, because God condemns no one. Hard to say about "degree" of torment. It may be that the more often and deeply a person experiences the joy and peace and exhilaration of being in harmony with the love of God, the more being out of harmony will torment them.
Well said. We all suffer and rejoice in our own ways - some are more exuberant in joy, others less so. Some of us complain more when we suffer and some take it in stride. There is no rhyme or reason why some suffer more in this life except to the extent some are on the receiving end of unloving people more than others, but even that doesn't explain suffering from sickness - although I think all sickness is because of sin (meaning, there is pollution dumped into the atmosphere by corporations and individuals that causes a lot of our physical ailments). Also, being in an abusive environment/family can cause sickness in the body - being abused can manifest sickness in the mortal body.

Plenty of people who suffer emotionally may go on to try to hurt others emotionally, yet some people vow to never do to others what they have suffered. There is a lot of hate in this world, but also a lot of love

Old 08-06-2018, 12:58 AM

I love this song: Outrageous Grace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ_vmDh7D0s

Old 08-06-2018, 01:08 AM

6,795 posts, read 2,905,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
There is a special hell for anyone who likes Alanis Morsette, they are already known, we know who they are.
Not to mention the owners of barking dogs and those who operate noisy leaf blowers . . .

I got that info from a different C-D subforum.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post

Personally I think there are worse crimes than murder.
I agree with you. There are worse crimes/sins than murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity