U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2018, 03:19 AM

3,765 posts, read 1,157,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You would know nothing about the New Covenant without scripture.

Did you forget god supposedly wrote his new rules on your heart? No need for scripture, right?

Or is that BS jimmiej?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 05:30 AM
Status: "Welcome foolish mortals, to the Haunted Mansion..." (set 1 day ago)

16,409 posts, read 8,934,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Did you forget god supposedly wrote his new rules on your heart? No need for scripture, right?

Or is that BS jimmiej?
Creation speaks of God, but to know specifically about Jesus and His redemptive work, we must look to scripture.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:21 AM

994 posts, read 359,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I heard eternity explained this way. Imagine the tallest mountain in the world. Every one-hundred years (ie once per century) a bird flies over the top of it carrying a feather in its mouth. The feather is used to "scoop" away at the mountain.

You can imagine how long it would take to clear the entire mountain down at that rate, correct?

Well, think about this. After a TRILLION mountains had already been cleared away by this method, then that would only be the beginning of eternity. And imagine being in unbearable, excruciating torment all that time.

That's how it will be for anyone who doesn't accept the speaker's stated "plan of salvation".

What do you think of this evangelical message?
You have an active imagination, but you haven't come anywhere near close to a definition of eternity.

Your example is based upon TIME....lots and lots of it, but it doesn't define eternity.

Eternity is defined by secular dictionaries as that which exists outside of Time.

With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. - 2 Peter 3:8b

The Biblical definition of eternity is a spiritual version. It's probably the clearest and best, not just because it's God's Word, but because it expresses in a single sentence the nature of what it must be like.

Timeless.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Old 08-17-2018, 10:04 PM

40,228 posts, read 26,833,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The fact that we would know nothing about Jesus without the Bible does NOT mean the Bible MUST be infallible and inerrant or that any of our ancestors were infallible and inerrant interpreters of the inspirations or teachings they received. Where does this irrational belief of yours come from, Jimmie? The Bible can contain inspirations from God without being either infallible or inerrant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Or is that BS jimmiej?

Quote:
Creation speaks of God, but to know specifically about Jesus and His redemptive work, we must look to scripture.
To know ABOUT Jesus is only half the requirement. We have to follow His instructions and believe Him that His death instituted a New Covenant. That Jesus now abides with us as the Comforter (Holy Spirit of agape) sent in His name to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts." You ignore the second half, Jimmie and reject what is in your heart for words "written in ink" and interpreted into "precepts and doctrines of men." Sad, very sad, .

Old 08-17-2018, 10:17 PM
Status: "Welcome foolish mortals, to the Haunted Mansion..." (set 1 day ago)

16,409 posts, read 8,934,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

To know ABOUT Jesus is only half the requirement. We have to follow His instructions and believe Him that His death instituted a New Covenant. That Jesus now abides with us as the Comforter (Holy Spirit of agape) sent in His name to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts." You ignore the second half, Jimmie and reject what is in your heart for words "written in ink" and interpreted into "precepts and doctrines of men." Sad, very sad, .
No, I don’t. You’re description of my understanding is incorrect. It is possible to believe 2 Tim. 3:16 and be guided by the spirit of God.

What is sad doctor, is that you do NOT believe Jesus.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:39 PM

40,228 posts, read 26,833,383 times
Quote:
No, I don’t. Your description of my understanding is incorrect. It is possible to believe 2 Tim. 3:16 and be guided by the spirit of God.
No, Jimmie, what is sad is that you do not know the true purpose of scripture and the mission of Jesus. The OT was necessary to establish the expectation of Jesus and predict the way His life and death would occur and the impact He would have for millennia. Jesus fulfilled all the expectations of His day and for every day since for 2000+ years. That is what fulfilling the OT means and that is what validates Christianity. The veil of ignorance that blinded our ancestors to God's TRUE NATURE from the misinterpretations of the OT was lifted by Jesus and His example and teaching. It has no further role in understanding God only for validating Jesus and providing hope. Jesus is the TRUE NATURE of God, NOT the heinous misunderstandings of the OT. The prophecies being fulfilled for 2000+ years despite the errors in the OT are sufficient validation.

All those heinous things attributed to God in the OT were no part of God they were evil and only humans do evil. The forces of anti-Christ have the biggest weapon - human ignorance and convincing humans that to be ignorant is what God wants and prefers. Anti-Christs have convinced the ignorant that fear of God is what God wants because it eliminates any true love of God and each other. The primitive motivation of fear of wrath and punishment hides the true desire of God's loving concern for us to avoid the natural consequences of our failure to mature spiritually. These heinous beliefs in scripture are proof positive that the Spirit of anti-Christ is alive and well in the world and has been since the death of Jesus who came to do away with such primitive impressions of God. I weep for those who will probably hear "Depart from me . . ." when they were only trying to follow God by exalting ignorance as a virtue.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 08-17-2018 at 11:48 PM..

Old 08-18-2018, 04:59 AM

20,462 posts, read 9,873,444 times
Quote:
No, I don’t. You’re description of my understanding is incorrect. It is possible to believe 2 Tim. 3:16 and be guided by the spirit of God.

Jesus is NOT the Bible.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:14 PM

4,271 posts, read 1,639,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Jesus is NOT the Bible.

God showed all how ultra important it is to listen to Jesus. He spoke out of heaven at Jesus baptism( super rarity) and said---This is my son the beloved in whom I am well pleased--LISTEN TO HIM.
It seems very hard for most to do that.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:02 AM

15,559 posts, read 12,217,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
God showed all how ultra important it is to listen to Jesus.
He spoke out of heaven at Jesus' baptism( super rarity)
It's not so rare for God to speak from Heaven, per se...But for all present to hear Him?...Oh my Yes!
So, I would say....haha...It's a good time to do exactly what He said!!!!

Listen and 'do' what Jesus says, yes, indeed!!!
And it's not so hard...practice makes perfect.

Example: Babysteps...for a week Give him your burdens, every single one and see what happens!
Another week...Do not worry...be anxious for nothing.
For 2 solid days...Seek the Kingdom of Heaven first...24/7, try a weekend when you can unplug everything.
You get the point...

Old 08-20-2018, 08:21 PM

20,462 posts, read 9,873,444 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Jesus is NOT the Bible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
God showed all how ultra important it is to listen to Jesus. He spoke out of heaven at Jesus baptism (super rarity) and said---This is my son the beloved in whom I am well pleased--LISTEN TO HIM.
It seems very hard for most to do that.
Did you hear that small, still, voice out of heaven that whispers to your soul like that of a gentle breeze, or was it merely your thoughts or the thoughts of your earthly teachers that you were hearing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or