U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-08-2018, 09:48 AM
 
4,423 posts, read 4,072,965 times
Reputation: 3569

Advertisements

In my church, its like 2-1 women compared to men and most other churches Ive visited is always like that as well, and alot of times its seems like 3/4 women to every 1 man.


What is is about church that seems to keep so many men away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-08-2018, 09:53 AM
Status: "6' - 220" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
25,866 posts, read 13,440,954 times
Reputation: 11686
Maybe more women attend to get away from the hubbie watching football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 09:58 AM
 
5,969 posts, read 1,708,691 times
Reputation: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
In my church, its like 2-1 women compared to men and most other churches Ive visited is always like that as well, and alot of times its seems like 3/4 women to every 1 man.


What is is about church that seems to keep so many men away?
My personal opinion on that is that men don't tend to do "social" things the way women do. And churches seem to market toward that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 10:16 AM
 
466 posts, read 103,508 times
Reputation: 318
75% + messages and sermons that specifically address societal problems or marriage problems or relationship problems I hear all typically revolve around how horrible men are and how all the problems in society and marriages revolve around men failing to step up to the plate (whether it's through checking out and becoming porn addicts, cheating on their wives, avoiding parental responsibilities through workaholism, failing to raise children in a loving and kind way, being mentally abusive, drinking too much, domineering their spouse, etc.)

Wouldn't you know it, women like showing up for that sort of stuff

Reminds me of marketing / advertising: every ad for guys is about how you need this hair product to not go bald and be ugly, you need to lose 50 pounds because your wife has lost interest in you, you can't perform in bed and need this pill, etc. Every ad for gals is about how you're beautiful no matter what, treat yoself, you deserve this, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Elysium
6,593 posts, read 3,647,272 times
Reputation: 4587
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHouseHunter View Post
75% + messages and sermons that specifically address societal problems or marriage problems or relationship problems I hear all typically revolve around how horrible men are and how all the problems in society and marriages revolve around men failing to step up to the plate (whether it's through checking out and becoming porn addicts, cheating on their wives, avoiding parental responsibilities through workaholism, failing to raise children in a loving and kind way, being mentally abusive, drinking too much, domineering their spouse, etc.)

Wouldn't you know it, women like showing up for that sort of stuff

Reminds me of marketing / advertising: every ad for guys is about how you need this hair product to not go bald and be ugly, you need to lose 50 pounds because your wife has lost interest in you, you can't perform in bed and need this pill, etc. Every ad for gals is about how you're beautiful no matter what, treat yoself, you deserve this, etc.
It doesn't have to be 75% but the base teaching position on relationships and sex remains something a woman is by natural selection more interested in obtaining while the male is sacrificing his biological nature to be closer to his God
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,180 posts, read 54,646,759 times
Reputation: 66635
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHouseHunter View Post
75% + messages and sermons that specifically address societal problems or marriage problems or relationship problems I hear all typically revolve around how horrible men are and how all the problems in society and marriages revolve around men failing to step up to the plate (whether it's through checking out and becoming porn addicts, cheating on their wives, avoiding parental responsibilities through workaholism, failing to raise children in a loving and kind way, being mentally abusive, drinking too much, domineering their spouse, etc.)

Wouldn't you know it, women like showing up for that sort of stuff

Reminds me of marketing / advertising: every ad for guys is about how you need this hair product to not go bald and be ugly, you need to lose 50 pounds because your wife has lost interest in you, you can't perform in bed and need this pill, etc. Every ad for gals is about how you're beautiful no matter what, treat yoself, you deserve this, etc.
What weird kind of church do you attend that addresses marriage and relationship problems in sermons?
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 10:52 AM
 
4,423 posts, read 4,072,965 times
Reputation: 3569
Our church will do community outreaches and its rare the man will come, if one is even in the house. Sometimes I feel alot of men feel like its not manly to be signing songs or crying in church over a song or testimony, to where they might see the environment as a tad feminine for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 11:32 AM
 
466 posts, read 103,508 times
Reputation: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What weird kind of church do you attend that addresses marriage and relationship problems in sermons?
Most young adult ministries speaking to the college -> late 20s range will address these issues, and several local churches hold sermons on spreading the gospel / serving the community / etc. which have some element of 'we can't be good stewards of the gospel to others if we can't steward our families well' which invariably has overtones my post brought up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 11:43 AM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 23,930,237 times
Reputation: 7812
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
In my church, its like 2-1 women compared to men and most other churches Ive visited is always like that as well, and alot of times its seems like 3/4 women to every 1 man.


What is is about church that seems to keep so many men away?
probably looking for an mrs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 11:45 AM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 23,930,237 times
Reputation: 7812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What weird kind of church do you attend that addresses marriage and relationship problems in sermons?
one that teaches how women are subservient and that men are king of their property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top