U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 06:03 AM
Status: "Living rent-free in Mr. Wade’s head" (set 7 hours ago)

16,347 posts, read 8,894,776 times

Advertisements

Good post, Mike!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 08:25 AM

21,837 posts, read 16,682,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Good post, Mike!
Thanks Jimmie.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:37 AM

17,546 posts, read 10,614,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Personally, I view the Old Testament as historical background information. Other than the 10 Commandments, there is little that I take as necessary for a Christian to follow.
It is historical in parts and we need to learn from that history. In addition it contains prophecy including some not fulfilled and some being fulfilled. It is far more than just history as Jesus did speak of the history but also of prophecy from it and the value of it. In fact Paul commended the Boreans for testing his words against scripture and all they had was the OT then. If it isn't read and understood a person is really ignoring Jesus, and his example, which we are to follow. Huge value to it and many parts of it are further explained in the NT. They work together and one without the other leaves a person not just simply uninformed but really not even believing in the real Jesus.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:11 AM
Status: "Living rent-free in Mr. Wade’s head" (set 7 hours ago)

16,347 posts, read 8,894,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
It is historical in parts and we need to learn from that history. In addition it contains prophecy including some not fulfilled and some being fulfilled. It is far more than just history as Jesus did speak of the history but also of prophecy from it and the value of it. In fact Paul commended the Boreans for testing his words against scripture and all they had was the OT then. If it isn't read and understood a person is really ignoring Jesus, and his example, which we are to follow. Huge value to it and many parts of it are further explained in the NT. They work together and one without the other leaves a person not just simply uninformed but really not even believing in the real Jesus.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:44 AM

1,382 posts, read 486,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walmill View Post
Moderator cut: Moved by request from R&S to Christianity

As some background I’ve been a lifelong “atheist” for as long as I’ve known or been able to form an opinion. I’ve always been pretty firm in my belief or “non-belief” which ever way you want to look at it. I’ve never been the militant type though. As I grow older I am opening up to the concept of something greater being out there, there are being more to life than just ceasing to exist and other such great questions. As much as I would love to accept or perhaps follow Jesus's overall message of love there is still one thing that Still I am unable to reconcile. I would like opinions and examples from real life perspectives and people, not polished and formulated opinions by “professional” Christian or other big-name types.
My concern is as follows how and in what way does the old testament apply and serve a purpose to everyday Christians?
Without being able to quote specific verses, as I don’t have any memorized and this is not a matter of finding the most controversial or gruesome verse, I’m not trying to stir the pot.
Do we have free will to pick and choose which if any of the Old Testament we want to apply ? For example some Christians will suddenly decide to stop eating pork because “it’s in the Bible” but won’t practice circumcision (from a religious standpoint) even though “its in the bible”. Im also not questioning why some of us “sin” yet are so-called Christians.
Is it appropriate to view the Old Testament solely in terms of more or less a historical background information and solely receive the actual implications in applications of from the New Testament?

I hope this post makes sense I whipped it up on my lunch break.
Christianity is pretty much the church of the false prophet Paul, whose message is the false gospel of grace. It was instituted by the "beast with two horns like a lamb", the Roman emperor Constantine in 325 AD. It would come under the OT name of the "daughter of Babylon" (Zech 2:7). The OT is what is referred to as Scripture by Yeshua. You either heed the message of Yeshua, which is built on the prophets and the Law, or you will eventually "fall" (Mt 7:27). Those that have the mark of the beast will according to Rev 14:10, drink from the cup of God's wrath.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:20 PM

40,052 posts, read 26,730,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
It is historical in parts and we need to learn from that history. In addition, it contains prophecy including some not fulfilled and some being fulfilled. It is far more than just history as Jesus did speak of the history but also of prophecy from it and the value of it. In fact, Paul commended the Bereans for testing his words against scripture and all they had was the OT then. If it isn't read and understood a person is really ignoring Jesus, and his example, which we are to follow. Huge value to it and many parts of it are further explained in the NT. They work together and one without the other leaves a person not just simply uninformed but really not even believing in the real Jesus.
Jesus referred to the OT scriptures primarily as prophecy about Him.

John 5:38-40 King James Version (KJV)

38 And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not.
39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:49 PM

3,139 posts, read 938,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
More like OT = Bad Cop and NT = Good Cop.
Interesting way of looking at it. It seems that a lot of the people in the OT certainly thought God was a stern, harsh, angry judge filled with anger. I used to get pretty scared reading the OT, felt like God's mood was unpredictable.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:53 PM

3,139 posts, read 938,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
There are two things that should be considered, when considering the question of free will.

If no God exists, than "free will" is a natural state.

NO WHERE does the Bible promise "free will."
The idea of "free will" even without God or the bible doesn't make sense because we are influenced by so many things even unknown to ourselves that it's not like we can just will to do anything we want to do. I do believe we have a will -- and I try to submit mine to what I believe is God's will by choosing to do unto others as I would have them do unto me... the golden rule. If everyone did that, the world would be a more peaceful place.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:25 AM

3,652 posts, read 1,134,406 times

Old 08-17-2018, 03:27 AM

3,652 posts, read 1,134,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Personally, I view the Old Testament as historical background information. Other than the 10 Commandments, there is little that I take as necessary for a Christian to follow.
What about the other 600+ commandments?

Do you intentionally ignore them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or