U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2018, 06:14 PM

40,456 posts, read 26,981,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Actually I do agree with much of what you wrote above, although I don't think of God as a "Him". Or a "Her" for that matter , but I do understand the propensity that we humans have to personify God as well as parts of creation. One of my all-time favorite Christians, Francis of Assisi, did just that through some beautiful poetry. I find some of his writing and aspects of his life just as much "communication from God" as anything else you mentioned. Different things in different ways speak to different people.

In my observation, people who over-rely on the Bible as their chief source of connecting with God end up with a distorted view, sometimes to the point where it's hard to tell where "the Word of God" ends and their ego begins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 06:15 PM

40,456 posts, read 26,981,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
You have some valid points, but not everything is as it seems. Much of what is in the Bible has been added in and edited to reconcile various religions and their cultures in order to create a one-world-religion. Christianism has taken and expanded upon some of these, like your Hell doctrines, Satan, fallen angels (other than the messengers who were human) who created hybrids (half-human), the lake of fire, eternal damnation and that of an immortal soul, etc. These things were never meant to be taken literally, and it was also from these cultures that brought about the ideology of a Trinity; a three-in-one God.

I know you will defend every position you do, as much of what you believe will come crumbling down around you from these mythological beliefs if you don't. And even though the view of Christianism you hold onto may be traditional, much of it is nonsensical. And doesn't play a part in any concept of reality.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:17 PM

5,676 posts, read 5,670,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Sophia, Christianity doesn't demand leaving your brain at the door, and it doesn't demand that you deny demonstrable evidence. We know that the earth is billions of years old and that the Universe is billions of years older still. We know that the earth did not exist before the sun, the moon and the stars.

The Hebrews lived in the Ancient Near East (ANE) and shared many beliefs in common with the other ANE peoples, including the view of a flat earth, a solid dome sky supported by pillars, and so on. The writers of the Hebrew Bible (the Old Testament) wrote most immediately to the people of their own time and wrote in accordance with their world view. The creation story in Genesis is no more literal than the creation story in Psalm 74 which has God slaying a multl-headed sea serpent (Leviathan) which is a mythological Canaanite monster. These things are well known to Old Testament scholars.

It is not necessary to take everything in the Bible literally.
Isaiah 55:8-9 New International Version (NIV)
8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

The mistake that you're making is that you're ascribing human attributes and characteristics to a non-human. If God was beholden to the laws of nature like we are, he wouldn't be God. Not only is God beyond time and space, he defines them. If God says that your bed is an aardvark, well guess what; it's an aardvark.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
My "anger" is directed at fundamentalists who use the bible to bludgeon gays and other people they think their god hates.

Most are simply stupid and remain ignorant because of their diminished intellectual capacity and lack of education. Others possess some degree of intelligence and even education but their early indoctrination by bigoted parents is stronger than their empathy and common sense. I feel sorry for those people.

However, some fundies choose to remain ignorant and bigoted because that is simply their nature. They are, and will remain, my enemies because they hurt people.
Having so much anger inside you is not only physically unhealthy, it's emotionally damaging as well. Being so vengeful and hate filled is akin to drinking poison every day hoping that it will kill your neighbor. God doesn't want you to have that rage inside of you, he wants to take it from you and fill it with his peace that passes all understanding. God loves you TD, and there's nothing you can do to make him not love you.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:30 PM

26,160 posts, read 13,602,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Having so much anger inside you is not only physically unhealthy, it's emotionally damaging as well. Being so vengeful and hate filled is akin to drinking poison every day hoping that it will kill your neighbor. God doesn't want you to have that rage inside of you, he wants to take it from you and fill it with his peace that passes all understanding. God loves you TD, and there's nothing you can do to make him not love you.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:46 PM

There's a reason you hang out on this forum, you're searching. Something deep inside of you knows that there's something greater, something deeper, more meaningful. There's nothing that can fill that empty hole in your heart like Gods love; no drug, no sexual experience, no amount of $$$, no fame, fortune, nothing. God loves you TD.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:50 PM

26,160 posts, read 13,602,168 times
Quote:
There's a reason you hang out on this forum, you're searching. Something deep inside of you knows that there's something greater, something deeper, more meaningful. There's nothing that can fill that empty hole in your heart like Gods love; no drug, no sexual experience, no amount of $$$, no fame, fortune, nothing. God loves you TD.

Kewl.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Kewl.

It is! Knowing that no matter what God loves you is very, Kewl.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:09 PM

15,906 posts, read 8,243,529 times
Quote:
The only people I've seen say that the Bible=God, or that the Bible is God are the people who claim that that is what fundamentalists are saying. It's a straw man argument. Believing that the Bible is the word of God is not saying that the Bible is God...
I've seen it said more than once. Just yesterday, as a matter of fact...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Jesus said nobody can serve two masters because you'll cling to one and hate the other. Therefore, the Bible is hated because people love their idols instead; anything placed above God, and God is His Word, is an idol, which includes your counterfeit love doctrine.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:39 PM

22,192 posts, read 16,876,160 times
Quote:
Sophia, Christianity doesn't demand leaving your brain at the door, and it doesn't demand that you deny demonstrable evidence. We know that the earth is billions of years old and that the Universe is billions of years older still. We know that the earth did not exist before the sun, the moon and the stars.

The Hebrews lived in the Ancient Near East (ANE) and shared many beliefs in common with the other ANE peoples, including the view of a flat earth, a solid dome sky supported by pillars, and so on. The writers of the Hebrew Bible (the Old Testament) wrote most immediately to the people of their own time and wrote in accordance with their world view. The creation story in Genesis is no more literal than the creation story in Psalm 74 which has God slaying a multl-headed sea serpent (Leviathan) which is a mythological Canaanite monster. These things are well known to Old Testament scholars.

It is not necessary to take everything in the Bible literally.
Quote:
Isaiah 55:8-9 New International Version (NIV)
8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

The mistake that you're making is that you're ascribing human attributes and characteristics to a non-human. If God was beholden to the laws of nature like we are, he wouldn't be God. Not only is God beyond time and space, he defines them. If God says that your bed is an aardvark, well guess what; it's an aardvark.
Actually, Sophia, the Bible itself ascribes human attributes and characteristics to God which He doesn't really have. They're called anthropopathisms and anthropomorphisms. God (not referring to the humanity of Jesus) is said in the Bible to have eyes, and hands. But God is a Spirit and doesn't have a body. God is said to get angry, and to hate. But those are human characteristics which God doesn't have. But in order to somewhat make God's policies understandable to the finite mind of man, the Bible uses terms like anger, wrath, hate, to describe God's judgment upon sin and evil.

But, that has nothing to do with the fact that some things in the Bible are not literal. And the creation story simply isn't. The earth is not a few thousand years old, it was not made in six days, and again, the earth did not pre-exist the sun, and the stars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity