U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-19-2018, 02:42 PM
Status: "Smacking fundies." (set 8 hours ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
25,773 posts, read 13,399,507 times
Reputation: 11666

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
You define your own reality and then craft your narrative around it. That's the epitome of convenience.
And yours was defined by primitive, anonymous men who pooped in holes.

I like mine a lot better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2018, 02:46 PM
 
21,812 posts, read 16,674,400 times
Reputation: 8654
The Bible is the word of God and there is one New Testament book which specifically states that God is its author. That book is the book of Revelation which at the very beginning states that God (the Father) gave the Revelation to Jesus who in turn revealed it to John who was commanded to write what he saw.

Revelation 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show to His bond-servants, the things which must soon take place; and He sent and communicated it by His angel to His bond-servant John, 2] who testified to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw. . . .10] I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet, 11] saying, "Write in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus and to Smyrna and to Pergamum and to Thyatira and to Sardis and to Philadelphia and to Laodicea."

The book of Revelation is the word of God. And so are the other New Testament books. I already showed in an earlier post on this thread that the apostles believed that what they taught was not the word of men, but the word of God. Paul stated this in 1 Thessalonians 2:13.

These people who claim to be Christian but deny that the Bible is the word of God cannot honestly say that the book of Revelation doesn't clearly say that God gave the Revelation to Jesus who communicated it to John, who was told to write in a book what he saw, which makes it the word of God. If they claim it doesn't say that, they are lying. If they admit that it says that but that they don't believe it, well then, what does that tell you about them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2018, 02:57 PM
 
20,350 posts, read 9,815,907 times
Reputation: 1673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Just outta curiosity, and please answer honestly: Who here went to church today?
Why? I have no interest in being led-astray with a bunch of mythological B.S.

The words endless torment (adialeipton timorion), eternal imprisonment (aidios eirgmos) and eternal punishment (aidios kalasin) do not appear anywhere in the Greek New Testament, at least not in conjunction. Neither, will you find the term aidios timorion or eternal torment. Therefore, whoever says that there is an eternal (aidios) time set for punishment (kalasin) or torment beyond this life is sadly mistaken. It's a limited duration of aionion (αἰώνιον - a period of time as in an age) kalasin (Κόλασιν - chastisement or correction) which is in view; but the day and hour that it begins and ends is unpredictable. If it were eternal, then the word Aidios would have been used. But not even Jesus used the word for eternal in conjunction with any kind of punishment or life for that matter.

The New Testament has ONLY one word which can truthfully be translated as ETERNAL. This is the Greek word Aidios which is used only twice: For since the creation of the world GODS invisible qualities - His eternal (aidios) power and divine nature have been clearly seen.

Personally, I am not interested in the teachings of an Organization that peddles nonsense.




Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2018, 03:09 PM
 
Location: New England
32,221 posts, read 21,094,471 times
Reputation: 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The Bible is the word of God and there is one New Testament book which specifically states that God is its author. That book is the book of Revelation which at the very beginning states that God (the Father) gave the Revelation to Jesus who in turn revealed it to John who was commanded to write what he saw.

Revelation 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show to His bond-servants, the things which must soon take place; and He sent and communicated it by His angel to His bond-servant John, 2] who testified to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw. . . .10] I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet, 11] saying, "Write in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus and to Smyrna and to Pergamum and to Thyatira and to Sardis and to Philadelphia and to Laodicea."

The book of Revelation is the word of God. And so are the other New Testament books. I already showed in an earlier post on this thread that the apostles believed that what they taught was not the word of men, but the word of God. Paul stated this in 1 Thessalonians 2:13.

These people who claim to be Christian but deny that the Bible is the word of God cannot honestly say that the book of Revelation doesn't clearly say that God gave the Revelation to Jesus who communicated it to John, who was told to write in a book what he saw, which makes it the word of God. If they claim it doesn't say that, they are lying. If they admit that it says that but that they don't believe it, well then, what does that tell you about them?
Here you go Sophia's Mom. If i could ever show you why you believe the way you do, there is none greater than the man who wrote this post. Well schooled and learned in one of many understandings of the scriptures that he believe is 100% right, you can be easily convinced by him if you are new christian. There is an army of Mike's out there teaching their understanding of the scriptures and sincerely, but once you are convinced what he's told you is the truth, it is extremely difficult to be open to anything else from then on. What the Mike's of the world have done is convince you of what they are saying,which is we teach what the bible says and the interpretation we have is of the Spirit. There comes a time with some of us students, are like "Hang on, your interpretation of the scriptures is not scriptural", you end up leaving, finding church that fits your new understanding, but the one thing you have retained from Nurturing Mike's is the bible is the inerrant infallible word of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2018, 03:16 PM
 
21,812 posts, read 16,674,400 times
Reputation: 8654
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Here you go Sophia's Mom. If i could ever show you why you believe the way you do, there is none greater than the man who wrote this post. Well schooled and learned in one of many understandings of the scriptures that he believe is 100% right, you can be easily convinced by him if you are new christian. There is an army of Mike's out there teaching their understanding of the scriptures and sincerely, but once you are convinced what he's told you is the truth, it is extremely difficult to be open to anything else from then on. What the Mike's of the world have done is convince you of what they are saying,which is we teach what the bible says and the interpretation we have is of the Spirit. There comes a time with some of us students, are like "Hang on, your interpretation of the scriptures is not scriptural", you end up leaving, finding church that fits your new understanding, but the one thing you have retained from Nurturing Mike's is the bible is the inerrant infallible word of God.
You then admit that you don't believe John's statement that the Revelation he received was from God and that he was told to write the Revelation down, which makes the book of Revelation the word of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2018, 03:20 PM
 
20,350 posts, read 9,815,907 times
Reputation: 1673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
You forgot to add: As long as we confess our sins, repent and become Born Again. If we don't our sins condemn us to eternity in hell.
Jesus was crucified between the mistakes of yesterday and the fears of tomorrow which are the two thieves that hold you captive to this eternity in hell that you profess. He set humanity free from this bondage of corruption and fear. Why anyone would want to go back into it is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2018, 03:25 PM
 
Location: New England
32,221 posts, read 21,094,471 times
Reputation: 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You then admit that you don't believe John's statement that the Revelation he received was from God and that he was told to write the Revelation down, which makes the book of Revelation the word of God.
You admit then, that Jesus said in him not the scriptures are Life?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2018, 03:30 PM
 
21,812 posts, read 16,674,400 times
Reputation: 8654
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You admit then, that Jesus said in him not the scriptures are Life?.
Instead of raising a strawman argument, just admit that you don't believe John's assertion that the Book of Revelation is the word of God because God gave that Revelation to Jesus who communicated it to John.

Go ahead. Deny that the Book of Revelation is the word of God. Accuse John of either being a liar or of being crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2018, 03:41 PM
 
Location: New England
32,221 posts, read 21,094,471 times
Reputation: 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Instead of raising a strawman argument, just admit that you don't believe John's assertion that the Book of Revelation is the word of God because God gave that Revelation to Jesus who communicated it to John.

Go ahead. Deny that the Book of Revelation is the word of God. Accuse John of either being a liar or of being crazy.
I see, you press me as if you are putting me on the spot and i return the same favor and you don't commit.

If i believe in the scriptures differently to you, am i adding or taking away from the scriptures?.

I can see you know just like a lawyer pointing you finger down at me to condemn, look he's denied the bible is the word of God.... You're denial of Jesus Christ being the only word of God that there is, is far worse, but i won't condemn you for that. It is quite alright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2018, 03:42 PM
 
20,350 posts, read 9,815,907 times
Reputation: 1673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
The good news that God is not holding the sins of anyone against them does seem to offend some Christians in a big way.
They need someone to suffer for them as a substitute, otherwise they cannot move forward.
And they, albeit not all, continue to crucify him, while sitting in their pew of eternal damnation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top