U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-19-2018, 05:13 PM
 
Location: New England
32,285 posts, read 21,136,395 times
Reputation: 2287

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
That depends on the motivation of those reading, it's the spirit of the thing, not the thing itself that talks to me.
Everytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2018, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,213 posts, read 54,678,928 times
Reputation: 66712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
That depends on the motivation of those reading, it's the spirit of the thing, not the thing itself that talks to me.
Say it again, brother Jerwade.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2018, 05:21 PM
 
5,657 posts, read 5,630,957 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And yours was defined by primitive, anonymous men who pooped in holes.

I like mine a lot better.
Of course you do, you only have to answer to yourself and get to be the arbiter and juror of your decisions; again; extremely convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2018, 05:25 PM
 
21,930 posts, read 16,727,596 times
Reputation: 8742
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You keep deny that which you call the word of God clearly states that Jesus Christ is the Word, you dare not believe this, because it would mean you having to trust the Spirit instead of the letter. Jesus said the life is in him not the scriptures, why do you have a problem with this?. I am playing your game.
You've been given several opportunities to comment on the fact that John stated that the book of Revelation is the word of God. You keep refusing to do so, and it's obvious that you will continue to refuse to. And I think the reason why you refuse to comment is because;

1.) If you acknowledge that John said that the book of Revelation is the word of God then your argument that the Bible is not the word of God falls apart because the book of Revelation is one of the books of the Bible.

2.) If you deny that John said that Revelation is the word of God, then you are committing an outright lie which is easily disproven by what Revelation 1:1 says.

3.) If you acknowledge that John said that the book of Revelation is the word of God, but continue to deny that it is the word of God despite what John wrote, then you are forced to admit that you don't believe John.



However, by refusing to comment on John's statement that Revelation is the word of God you show yourself to be unable to rise to the occasion when put on the spot. And yet, by continuing to post and trying to divert by making false comments such as the one above in which you falsely claim that I deny that Jesus is the word of God when I have clearly stated that He is, you just make a fool out of yourself.

Post #157 But God's word has been communicated in many ways through out human history. Angels have communicated God's word. So did the Old Testament prophets. God has communicated His word through dreams and visions. Jesus was the ultimate expression of God's word. The apostles communicated God's word. With the exception of Jesus, that doesn't mean that they are God. Only that they were ways in which God communicated His word. The Bible is no different in that respect regardless of how some people may misuse the Bible.

You lose in every way. And I will leave it at that. But you be sure to reply and make one last face-saving growl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2018, 05:25 PM
 
20,433 posts, read 9,849,462 times
Reputation: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
It boggles my mind that anyone familiar with the history of the doctrines in regard to authority should hold Mike's position. Briefly, the Catholic religion claimed that the Church was the authority for all matters of faith and claimed it was guided by the Spirit. Any honest evaluation of doctrines and their consequent actions in heresy persecutions would put the lie to that claim. The Reformation countered that bankrupt claim with the idea that scripture was the only authority and has been scrambling ever since to make it look like the Bible is a coherent whole with a discernable theme throughout instead of the mishmash of different perceptions about God and our relation to Him that it clearly is And they have claimed to be led by the Spirit while fracturing into thousands of different warring groups. They give NO basis or standard for determining what the guidance of the Spirit would look like, but pretty much leave things as majority rules and if you don't like it go elsewhere.

It also boggles my mind that whenever I am asked how to tell which opinion on any subject is following the Spirit I NEVER get a reply when I say that it will be shown by conformity to the nature of that Spirit as taught by Jesus and the Apostles. I also say that it WILL easily be seen which is open to the Spirit by how the conversation is conducted.

Color me Quaker.
Christ has come to teach people himself through that of the Spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2018, 05:26 PM
 
5,657 posts, read 5,630,957 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Why? I have no interest in being led-astray with a bunch of mythological B.S.

The words endless torment (adialeipton timorion), eternal imprisonment (aidios eirgmos) and eternal punishment (aidios kalasin) do not appear anywhere in the Greek New Testament, at least not in conjunction. Neither, will you find the term aidios timorion or eternal torment. Therefore, whoever says that there is an eternal (aidios) time set for punishment (kalasin) or torment beyond this life is sadly mistaken. It's a limited duration of aionion (αἰώνιον - a period of time as in an age) kalasin (Κόλασιν - chastisement or correction) which is in view; but the day and hour that it begins and ends is unpredictable. If it were eternal, then the word Aidios would have been used. But not even Jesus used the word for eternal in conjunction with any kind of punishment or life for that matter.

The New Testament has ONLY one word which can truthfully be translated as ETERNAL. This is the Greek word Aidios which is used only twice: For since the creation of the world GODS invisible qualities - His eternal (aidios) power and divine nature have been clearly seen.

Personally, I am not interested in the teachings of an Organization that peddles nonsense.




Because the Bible says not to forsake fellowship and gathering.

Hebrews 10:24-25 New International Version (NIV)
24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

But you don't believe that the Bible is the word of God, so what it says means nothing to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2018, 05:28 PM
 
Location: New England
32,285 posts, read 21,136,395 times
Reputation: 2287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You've been given several opportunities to comment on the fact that John stated that the book of Revelation is the word of God. You keep refusing to do so, and it's obvious that you will continue to refuse to. And I think the reason why you refuse to comment is because;

1.) If you acknowledge that John said that the book of Revelation is the word of God then your argument that the Bible is not the word of God falls apart because the book of Revelation is one of the books of the Bible.

2.) If you deny that John said that Revelation is the word of God, then you are committing an outright lie which is easily disproven by what Revelation 1:1 says.

3.) If you acknowledge that John said that the book of Revelation is the word of God, but continue to deny that it is the word of God despite what John wrote, then you are forced to admit that you don't believe John.



However, by refusing to comment on John's statement that Revelation is the word of God you show yourself to be unable to rise to the occasion when put on the spot. And yet, by continuing to post and trying to divert by making false comments such as the one above in which you falsely claim that I deny that Jesus is the word of God when I have clearly stated that He is, you just make a fool out of yourself.

Post #157 But God's word has been communicated in many ways through out human history. Angels have communicated God's word. So did the Old Testament prophets. God has communicated His word through dreams and visions. Jesus was the ultimate expression of God's word. The apostles communicated God's word. With the exception of Jesus, that doesn't mean that they are God. Only that they were ways in which God communicated His word. The Bible is no different in that respect regardless of how some people may misuse the Bible.

You lose in every way. And I will leave it at that. But you be sure to reply and make one last face-saving growl.
Who do you think you are ..... God's prosecuting lawyer?. On your bike, do you think i take serious anyone who denies what the scriptures declares to be the word of God is. You do know they do not testify of itself?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2018, 05:29 PM
 
5,657 posts, read 5,630,957 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I went to Meeting if that's what you mean.
Good. Fellowship is a good thing although if the fellowship doesn't occasionally preach Christ crucified, then it's just killing time with friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2018, 05:34 PM
 
20,433 posts, read 9,849,462 times
Reputation: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You've been given several opportunities to comment on the fact that John stated that the book of Revelation is the word of God. You keep refusing to do so, and it's obvious that you will continue to refuse to. And I think the reason why you refuse to comment is because;

1.) If you acknowledge that John said that the book of Revelation is the word of God then your argument that the Bible is not the word of God falls apart because the book of Revelation is one of the books of the Bible.

2.) If you deny that John said that Revelation is the word of God, then you are committing an outright lie which is easily disproven by what Revelation 1:1 says.

3.) If you acknowledge that John said that the book of Revelation is the word of God, but continue to deny that it is the word of God despite what John wrote, then you are forced to admit that you don't believe John.



However, by refusing to comment on John's statement that Revelation is the word of God you show yourself to be unable to rise to the occasion when put on the spot. And yet, by continuing to post and trying to divert by making false comments such as the one above in which you falsely claim that I deny that Jesus is the word of God when I have clearly stated that He is, you just make a fool out of yourself.

Post #157 But God's word has been communicated in many ways through out human history. Angels have communicated God's word. So did the Old Testament prophets. God has communicated His word through dreams and visions. Jesus was the ultimate expression of God's word. The apostles communicated God's word. With the exception of Jesus, that doesn't mean that they are God. Only that they were ways in which God communicated His word. The Bible is no different in that respect regardless of how some people may misuse the Bible.

You lose in every way. And I will leave it at that. But you be sure to reply and make one last face-saving growl.
4.) Or, you can claim that the Pope and his Bible are equal to God like what I am doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2018, 05:44 PM
 
Location: New England
32,285 posts, read 21,136,395 times
Reputation: 2287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Of course you do, you only have to answer to yourself and get to be the arbiter and juror of your decisions; again; extremely convenient.
Who did the prodigal son answer too?, his angry, condemning and offended Father ?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top