U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2018, 10:58 AM

15,906 posts, read 8,170,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
God according to evangelicals has separated himself from us because of our sin, how is that any different from turning his back on us. You know perfectly well you believe there is a gulf between God and man unless man reaches out to Jesus. If God has not turned his back on us then there is nothing to be corncerned about , right?. Is not that a fair statement?.
Yep. All the claims of supposed "incorrect assertions" is just a way to skirt the real heart of the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 11:02 AM

32,225 posts, read 21,107,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, it fails at many levels.
How long will you remain in the darkness of denial?.See post #419

Old 08-20-2018, 11:06 AM

28,488 posts, read 15,447,826 times
Quote:
God according to evangelicals has separated himself from us because of our sin, how is that any different from turning his back on us. You know perfectly well you believe there is a gulf between God and man unless man reaches out to Jesus. If God has not turned his back on us then there is nothing to be corncerned about , right?. Is not that a fair statement?.
Not OUR sin (assuming you mean sinful actions)... but the presence of sin in us.

His back is not turned... our back is turned by default (except Adam).

Does a gulf separate us from God - yes. But not because of God.

Fair statement? I don't know if it's fair or not - it's just wrong. Again - God has not turned His back on mankind, yet the the gulf exists until one exercises faith in Christ, His death for sins, and His physical resurrection to new life.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:19 AM

17,571 posts, read 10,625,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Not OUR sin (assuming you mean sinful actions)... but the presence of sin in us.

Fair statement? I don't know if it's fair or not - it's just wrong. Again - God has not turned His back on mankind, yet the the gulf exists until one exercises faith in Christ, His death for sins, and His physical resurrection to new life.
That is correct. God said if you return to me I will return to you.

Exercising faith is more than just declaring: "Jesus is my Lord and Savior".

He wants us back and too many want what Adam did. To do things their own way and not His, so they do not return to Him, they turn their back on God instead.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:22 AM

21,852 posts, read 16,691,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
From Peter Enns' book, The Sin of Certainty: (chapters given only---it is an e-book)

Chapter The Lie: It's All Your Fault

Chapter Down the Mine Shaft

Chapter The Truth: God Wants You Dead

You are a control freak, Mike, and the Bible means nothing to you except for your own view of it and your prideful ability to interpret it.

God wants you dead--so that you can live again by being obedient to Jesus.
No, that would be you as the very fact that you are posting all of this in attempt to 'correct me' shows.

Last edited by Mike555; 08-20-2018 at 11:52 AM..

Old 08-20-2018, 11:28 AM

63,051 posts, read 34,335,398 times
It does no look like people understood the chair story, since they think it is about life after death. Version-1 of the story claims God turned His back on people before Christ was born. It has nothing to do with what will, or will not happen after we die.

God did not turn His back on people, he spoke to Abraham, Moses, the prophets, He sent Jesus etc.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
It does no look like people understood the chair story, since they think it is about life after death. Version-1 of the story claims God turned His back on people before Christ was born. It has nothing to do with what will, or will not happen after we die.

God did not turn His back on people, he spoke to Abraham, Moses, the prophets, He sent Jesus etc.
LMAO Comedy Gold. I saw what you did there ..... "God did not turn his back on his people", how about those who are not his people ?.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Come on, quit these mullberry bush games. No it is not a fair statement, you believe and do not deny it that God has separated himself from us because of our sin. You do know that God conversed with what you call fallen man outside of Eden, i'm sure you are familiar with the Cain and Abel story.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:33 PM

20,400 posts, read 9,828,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm not pcamps and therefore not on the spot, but I am curious. Are you saying that you do not question that the Book of Revelation is the word of God because John, the author, said it was the word of God? That's what it seems to say here. If I am missing something, correct me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
He is not saying that John said that, he is claiming that God said it to Jesus, who said it to John, therefore, it must be true.
Quote:
So what you are saying is it went through all the necessary channels ?.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
That depends on the motivation of those reading, it's the spirit of the thing, not the thing itself that talks to me.
Quote:
Make sure you don't write it down, because if you do, its dismissed as some garbage written by man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
If it IS garbage it should be dismissed. In NO case would I expect anyone to think it is authoritative.
Quote:
He is not sharing what it is, so we'll never know.
If you want to convince a fundamentalist, just declare that God said, as you write it down?

Old 08-20-2018, 01:43 PM

20,400 posts, read 9,828,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
That is correct. God said if you return to me I will return to you.

Exercising faith is more than just declaring: "Jesus is my Lord and Savior".

He wants us back and too many want what Adam did. To do things their own way and not His, so they do not return to Him, they turn their back on God instead.
It has been my experience that it's NOT God people turn-away from, it's religious fanaticism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity