U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2018, 09:11 PM

16,302 posts, read 7,680,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
None of those religions you named are considered pagan by most pagans I know. They are institutionalized, established religions with written or oral doctrines. I know of no pagan with a holy book or required practices beyond honouring life. I know of no pagan withholding "membership" because of a person's gender or sexual proclivity.
Oh, well, yes. You will need to pardon Warden for his use of the term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 09:15 PM

9,323 posts, read 5,511,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Now-now, Warden. I don't know of which "pagan religions" you tout, but I know of none which make hating people part of their creed.
Trout, for the vast majority of fundamentalists ANY religion outside their own belief system is both pagan and cultish. They never envision themselves as a cult, but they produce many even more extreme cults. Westboro Baptist Church is currently just the end of the road they are all marching on--in obedience to their "holy" book.

They are willing to condemn without having any knowledge of a different belief system:

Quote:
Fundamentalist Christians, like most Christians really, know little or nothing of modern Paganism but with a difference: they’re not receptive to knowing; fundamentalists are determined to not understand these modern forms of the world’s most ancient belief systems, but more than eager to condemn them in all their willful ignorance.
https://www.politicususa.com/2012/02...e-wiccans.html

When one can extol the Bible while ignoring the teachings therein----why is that not its own kind of paganism?

Last edited by Wardendresden; 08-21-2018 at 09:23 PM..

Old 08-22-2018, 05:23 AM

63,198 posts, read 34,429,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Really? How do Hindus get along with Muslims, Buddhists or Christians? About as well as most African Christians get along with Gay people. Unfortunately, some as well as institutional Christianity teach hatred in spite of their "official" position.
Buddha is Hindu, just FYI, so I am sure they get along, but no, Hindus don't get along with Muslims too well.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:33 AM

56,284 posts, read 54,731,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Really? How do Hindus get along with Muslims, Buddhists or Christians? About as well as most African Christians get along with Gay people. Unfortunately, some as well as institutional Christianity teach hatred in spite of their "official" position.
In the NYC engineering world, Hindus get along fine with Muslims, Buddhists, or Christians, but particularly with Muslims, at least when the Hindus are Indian and the Muslims are Pakistanis. Maybe not "over there", but here they bond over their shared culture and interest in progressing in business.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In the NYC engineering world, Hindus get along fine with Muslims, Buddhists, or Christians, but particularly with Muslims, at least when the Hindus are Indian and the Muslims are Pakistanis. Maybe not "over there", but here they bond over their shared culture and interest in progressing in business.
At a workplace no one typically cares, or even knows, what religion their coworkers are. People who make an issue of it typically don't last long. For example if you make a hobby out of raving against "fundamentalists" like many people do here (or trying to equate Westboro Baptists with regular Christians), you'd likely get fired for being bigoted and intolerant.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 08-22-2018 at 08:43 AM..

Old 08-22-2018, 08:45 AM

56,284 posts, read 54,731,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
At a workplace no one typically cares, or even knows, what religion their coworkers are. People who make an issue of it typically don't last long. For example if you make a hobby out of raving against "fundamentalists" like many people do here, you'd likely get fired for being bigoted and intolerant.
Not necessarily true. At the WTC, we all knew what one another's religions were and we had regular conversations about it in the interest of learning about one another and finding our commonalities. It's what made the place what it was.

The irony is that such a place was destroyed by a fundamentalist group who saw themselves as the only righteous ones and everyone else as evil, and that the response of some was to vilify anyone deemed associated with that group and to claim that THEY were the only righteous ones.

From that experience, I think it's important for people to feel free to share their spiritual outlooks and learn to see one another as humans.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
At a workplace no one typically cares, or even knows, what religion their coworkers are. People who make an issue of it typically don't last long. For example if you make a hobby out of raving against "fundamentalists" like many people do here (or trying to equate Westboro Baptists with regular Christians), you'd likely get fired for being bigoted and intolerant.
Quote:
Not necessarily true. At the WTC, we all knew what one another's religions were and we had regular conversations about it in the interest of learning about one another and finding our commonalities. It's what made the place what it was.

The irony is that such a place was destroyed by a fundamentalist group who saw themselves as the only righteous ones and everyone else as evil, and that the response of some was to vilify anyone deemed associated with that group and to claim that THEY were the only righteous ones.

From that experience, I think it's important for people to feel free to share their spiritual outlooks and learn to see one another as humans.
See bolded. It applies to anyone, and any religion. If you rave against muslims in the workplace, you'd likely get fired.

The WTC terrorists were muslim, but their motivation was more political than religious.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:41 AM

20,450 posts, read 9,860,175 times
Quote:
Quote:

Diversity teaches us to love and appreciate the differences without condemning people to an underworld of damnation.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:44 AM

32,305 posts, read 21,155,366 times
Quote:
Fundamentalists care if co workers are christians or not or if they happen to be biblical christians.

I remember back in the 90's working on a construction site where there was a load new homes being built, all the lads who knew me called me born again, i thought it was quite funny actually. Anyway, the company i was working for didn't really pay that well, so i told the foreman that when the gaffer shows up i'm going to ask for more money or i'm on my bike. The foreman said there's no chance he will give you what you are asking for, because you are asking more than what you are paying me, they aren't going to do it. Anyway, the gaffer shows up, he says, sorry i can't pay you what you are asking, so i quit. The foreman was like "see, what did i tell you", i said to him "i will be back at some point and i will be earning more than you are", he just laughed and was scornful.
Two weeks went by, my ex boss called me and said, we have we some new houses to do in a lovely little to called Ashby- De La Zouch(loads of good pubs), we have never sub contracted work out before, but would you mind going to take a look at them and given us a price?. I called a buddy of mine, we went to take a look at them, the ex boss accepted our price and i was earning close on 300 quid a week more than his foreman.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:53 AM

20,450 posts, read 9,860,175 times
Quote:
If you believe in dungeons and dragons or that of an underworld of pain and suffering, then there is no difference between what you call regular Christians; and Westboro Baptists. Ironically, I see "Jesus Saves" and other graffiti written on the walls of outhouses or porta-johns on nearly every construction site. You can't get away from fanaticism!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity