U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2018, 06:47 AM

63,449 posts, read 34,677,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Apparently, you don't like having some of the same hell bound beliefs as Westboro Baptists? Then, you should turn in your resignation letter.
Again? You already proved my point, no need to repeat it.

Do you consider yourself a Christian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 07:08 AM

1,004 posts, read 364,880 times
DISCUSSION OF EVANGELICAL INFLUENCE UPON AMERICAN CHURCHES IS IRRELEVANT.

That which has seized American religious theology and individual philosophy is Post Modernist subjective thinking. It has nothing whatsoever to do with Biblical scholarship or even that which was once known as the evangelical belief system.

The exchanges between two senior members of these pages, published above, brings this truth into sharp focus. There is no common ground of accepted fact or document in an environment of subjective opinion. There exists only pointless argument, obfuscation, appeals to caliginous hypotheticals and character assassination as an end result. Unfortunately this is not an affliction suffered by one or two individuals. It affects all Christendom and all of American society. We are drowning in an ocean of bovine excrement.

Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD.
- Amos 8:11

The prophet Amos wrote of the decree of a famine of the Word of God in ancient Israel.

I perceive there now exists a similar famine in America. This time it’s source is different. This time it's our religious leaders, not God, who've decreed the famine. These are the same religious leaders charged with upholding the sovereign truth of Holy Writ. Nearly every major denomination has officially denied the veracity of the Word of God, thereby relegating Judeo-Christian scripture to the level of secular literature, internet tabloid and urban legend. This is the nature of the present famine of the Word of God. It is denied.

With little access to truth in the media education or religious assembly and with increasing suppression of dissenting opinions of conservative whites, that which remains of an American free society is being quickly swept away.

We as a nation have turned our collective backs upon God and we shall all dine on the ashes of our discontent for the foreseeable future. Entries and posts which follow this statement will do nothing to disprove what I've written because these words, as well as all words of objective truth, will be ignored and swept away.

In the same way, the culture we once knew is also being swept away. Our future will consist of lies innuendo and subjective hypotheticals. The objective truth of the Word of God no longer has a place in America because we deny it - cover to cover. We are rewriting scripture to be politically correct. When truth dies the nation dies with it.

What happens when a nation turns its back upon God and God's truth? It becomes self-destructive. It creates a river of innocent blood before it passes into an ignominious place in history. When it dies all the world will stand upon its ruin and rejoice. This is what happens to a nation and a people who turn their back upon God and turn words inside out.

Scripture teaches that God isn't interested in human opinion. (Romans 2:11)

History teaches us two things;
1. cultures headed toward destruction aren't interested in God's opinion
2. humanity never learns from history.

It is time to repent, deeply and sincerely and honestly before God. Individuals may be saved, but the church and the nation is already lost.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Last edited by Choir Loft; 08-24-2018 at 07:38 AM..

Old 08-24-2018, 01:10 PM

20,643 posts, read 9,959,703 times
Quote:
Apparently, you don't like having some of the same hell bound beliefs as Westboro Baptists?

Then, you should turn in your resignation letter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

I believe in that which is greater than myself, but it is NOT the fundamentals of Organized Religion. And nobody needs someone preaching at them during the course of their day, regardless of what they are doing. Live your life as an example, it makes a better witness. Especially, given your beliefs of Eternal Damnation. And, as I said, "you should turn in your resignation letter" if you cannot separate the two.

Last edited by Jerwade; 08-24-2018 at 01:21 PM..

Old 08-24-2018, 01:19 PM

20,643 posts, read 9,959,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post

That which has seized American religious theology and individual philosophy is Post Modernist subjective thinking. It has nothing whatsoever to do with Biblical scholarship or even that which was once known as the evangelical belief system.

The exchanges between two senior members of these pages, published above, brings this truth into sharp focus. There is no common ground of accepted fact or document in an environment of subjective opinion. There exists only pointless argument, obfuscation, appeals to caliginous hypotheticals and character assassination as an end result. Unfortunately this is not an affliction suffered by one or two individuals. It affects all Christendom and all of American society. We are drowning in an ocean of bovine excrement.

Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD.

The prophet Amos wrote of the decree of a famine of the Word of God in ancient Israel.

I perceive there now exists a similar famine in America. This time it’s source is different. This time it's our religious leaders, not God, who've decreed the famine. These are the same religious leaders charged with upholding the sovereign truth of Holy Writ. Nearly every major denomination has officially denied the veracity of the Word of God, thereby relegating Judeo-Christian scripture to the level of secular literature, internet tabloid and urban legend. This is the nature of the present famine of the Word of God. It is denied.

With little access to truth in the media education or religious assembly and with increasing suppression of dissenting opinions of conservative whites, that which remains of an American free society is being quickly swept away.

We as a nation have turned our collective backs upon God and we shall all dine on the ashes of our discontent for the foreseeable future. Entries and posts which follow this statement will do nothing to disprove what I've written because these words, as well as all words of objective truth, will be ignored and swept away.

In the same way, the culture we once knew is also being swept away. Our future will consist of lies innuendo and subjective hypotheticals. The objective truth of the Word of God no longer has a place in America because we deny it - cover to cover. We are rewriting scripture to be politically correct. When truth dies the nation dies with it.

What happens when a nation turns its back upon God and God's truth? It becomes self-destructive. It creates a river of innocent blood before it passes into an ignominious place in history. When it dies all the world will stand upon its ruin and rejoice. This is what happens to a nation and a people who turn their back upon God and turn words inside out.

It is time to repent, deeply and sincerely and honestly before God. Individuals may be saved, but the church and the nation is already lost.

I am not really interested in your political or religious stance which often times are commingled, nor that of your prejudices or biased opinions. What is spoken from the religious platforms and political stage is always subjective or a matter of opinion.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:50 PM

9,529 posts, read 5,572,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post

Well, you may have something here. The modern world has a clear example of church leaders who ignored what their government was doing.

It was Germany after the Nazi party took over.
They began persecuting Jews and homosexuals.
They insisted the "white" race was the greatest (they enjoyed immigrants from Norway)
They used "Christians" and Christianity to promote their cause.
They had a leader who was egocentric and could do no wrong---those who opposed him had to be 'dealt' with. He won Chancellorship with less than a majority of the people's vote.
They made Germany great again.
They instituted a massive increase in "defense" spending.
They opposed abortion for any reason.
They adopted Goebbels notion of lying and retelling lies until a substantial number of lies were considered true.
They favored the use of torture to get their enemies to talk (and sometimes for no reason at all).
Their administration favored cronies that utilized their positions to get rich!

Yep, I think you hit the nail on the head. Evangelists have turned their back on God, and are looking to a man to "solve" their ills.
Quote:
Exit polls show white evangelical voters voted in high numbers for Donald Trump, 80-16 percent, according to exit poll results. That’s the most they have voted for a Republican presidential candidate since 2004, when they overwhelmingly chose President George W. Bush by a margin of 78-21 percent.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.b32b7215914a

I suspect you are one of them! That's just me, shouting from the back pew.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 08-24-2018 at 02:03 PM..

Old 08-24-2018, 07:25 PM

32,477 posts, read 21,295,149 times
Quote:
Apparently, you don't like having some of the same hell bound beliefs as Westboro Baptists?

Then, you should turn in your resignation letter.
Along with his get out of hell free card.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:28 PM

160 posts, read 65,533 times
I don't believe Christianity is a religion. I think it's people who believe in Jesus. Religions, to me, are Jewish, Catholic, 7th Day Advents, etc., etc. Someone can be a Christian and not belong to any religion.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:01 AM

179 posts, read 44,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The issue is one of definition and of emphasis. Those who say that Christianity is not a religion are thinking in terms of the fact that Christianity (regardless of denominational differences) is a relationship with God the Father through Jesus Christ in which the believer has been born again and has been adopted into the family of God as a son.
Is Christianity a religion or a relationship?

Question: "Is Christianity a religion or a relationship?"

Answer: Religion is “the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.” In that respect, Christianity can be classified as a religion. However, practically speaking, Christianity has a key difference that separates it from other belief systems that are considered religions. That difference is relationship.

For the rest of the answer, read more: https://www.gotquestions.org/Christi...ationship.html

One of Christianity's main functions was to make 'God' a more human and understandable entity, one that was truly concerned with even the least of men and women, and not just some avatar for some weird 'frog god' or something, or the fickle and childish Greek types of deities, and built on the monotheism of Judaism, and when that sect became withdrawn and no longer following it's own theology in post-exile times, became less dynamic and stagnant, religious Jews moved on to advance the 'new covenant' and carried on from the teachings of Moses, Isaiah, and other books and prophets to make it a universal 'Way' for all mankind. That's my short version of my opinion, anyway.

Old 08-25-2018, 05:52 AM

63,449 posts, read 34,677,431 times
Quote:

Quote:
I believe in that which is greater than myself, but it is NOT the fundamentals of Organized Religion. And nobody needs someone preaching at them during the course of their day, regardless of what they are doing. Live your life as an example, it makes a better witness. Especially, given your beliefs of Eternal Damnation. And, as I said, "you should turn in your resignation letter" if you cannot separate the two.
Is that a yes, or a no?

I can't resign from something I never joined, nor did I ever participate in their hate speech, so you can stop with the childish attempts to compare Christians to Westboro Baptists. It makes you look bad.

Oh, wait, they too believe in which is greater than myself, so you also need to send your resignation letter ASAP.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:16 AM

32,477 posts, read 21,295,149 times
Quote:
Is that a yes, or a no?

I can't resign from something I never joined, nor did I ever participate in their hate speech, so you can stop with the childish attempts to compare Christians to Westboro Baptists. It makes you look bad.

Oh, wait, they too believe in which is greater than myself, so you also need to send your resignation letter ASAP.

So you are not a member of a church that preaches the world is sinful and hell bound if it does not repent and believe in Jesus, just like the Westboro Baptist Church does?.

. There is no need to lie about your beliefs just because another church is just that bit more militant about the same beliefs you hold dear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity