U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2018, 09:41 AM
 
22,162 posts, read 16,855,193 times
Reputation: 8888

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The word of God was spread by word of my expressed in love by faith, it was not limited to the Apostles, that word did not die when there was no longer apostles. You have not addressed this. I think it is quite obvious that i believe the scriptures and obvious that i believe that the scriptures are not necessary to seek the Lord. The passed down message of Jesus Christ by word of mouth being the way to the Father is not that difficult to understand. How lovely on the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news.
You keep avoiding addressing the fact that everything we know about Jesus is by way of the Bible. We would know nothing about who Jesus was, what he taught, or what he did if it was not for the fact that the Biblical writers preserved his teachings in writing.

And again, you, and I'm referring to you personally, know nothing about Jesus which does not have its source in the Bible. And your denial that the scriptures are necessary to know Jesus which you are attempting to divert to 'seeking the Lord' is flat out wrong.

And I didn't say that the word of God died when the apostles died. The word of God has been preserved in the Bible. The word of God can be spread by people, but the means by which people spread the word of God is based on information which is contained in the Bible.

You can't even give an intelligent argument to refute what I've said. The Bible is the means by which we today know anything at all about Jesus. And I've already explained why.

But you just go on living in your make believe world where you think you are oh so much better than the fundamentalists you bash in the vast majority of your posts. I'm done with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2018, 10:17 AM
 
Location: New England
32,457 posts, read 21,261,184 times
Reputation: 2307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You keep avoiding addressing the fact that everything we know about Jesus is by way of the Bible. We would know nothing about who Jesus was, what he taught, or what he did if it was not for the fact that the Biblical writers preserved his teachings in writing.

And again, you, and I'm referring to you personally, know nothing about Jesus which does not have its source in the Bible. And your denial that the scriptures are necessary to know Jesus which you are attempting to divert to 'seeking the Lord' is flat out wrong.

And I didn't say that the word of God died when the apostles died. The word of God has been preserved in the Bible. The word of God can be spread by people, but the means by which people spread the word of God is based on information which is contained in the Bible.

You can't even give an intelligent argument to refute what I've said. The Bible is the means by which we today know anything at all about Jesus. And I've already explained why.

But you just go on living in your make believe world where you think you are oh so much better than the fundamentalists you bash in the vast majority of your posts. I'm done with this.
You are avoiding the fact that the glad tidings about Jesus Christ was shared before the New Testament was compiled and the hearer in believing on Jesus Christ entered the joy of the Lord. This actually happened, you know it too. Jesus taught seek the Lord denying this is flat out wrong on your behalf too. Bible fundamentalism as imposed "you can only know God and his Christ through the bible". Jesus never once said search the scriptures to know me, he did use the scriptures to show that he was the one they testified of, that Mike 555 is a big difference. Hey, and just as much as you have explained your view, i have clearly explained mine too, so less of the condesending attitude please. I have obviously touched a very sore point for you to even respond to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2018, 11:52 AM
 
Location: New England
32,457 posts, read 21,261,184 times
Reputation: 2307
It seems to me that what is being said is Jesus does not exist without the bible. Of cause he was written about, how could he not be with having done all the things that he did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2018, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
16,399 posts, read 7,738,925 times
Reputation: 1739
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The men who wrote down the scriptures claimed to have heard directly from God, just like you.
Indeed, so the question is how to test that and how well they are preserved. Hint: check the nature of the "guide."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2018, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
16,399 posts, read 7,738,925 times
Reputation: 1739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
zthatzmanz28, could you write down these Bible superseding revelations and share then with the rest of us?

Oh I forgot, if you write them down they become just words written by MAN.
Same old song and dance as if it had not been demonstrated to be a sham many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2018, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
16,399 posts, read 7,738,925 times
Reputation: 1739
Personally, I think Mike's problem is that he thinks it is necessary to know the historical Jesus in order to know the Christ that Jesus embodied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2018, 12:18 PM
 
Location: USA
15,906 posts, read 8,234,798 times
Reputation: 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Indeed, so the question is how to test that and how well they are preserved. Hint: check the nature of the "guide."
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Personally, I think Mike's problem is that he thinks it is necessary to know the historical Jesus in order to know the Christ that Jesus embodied.

You've got a gift for cutting to the chase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2018, 12:37 PM
 
Location: New England
32,457 posts, read 21,261,184 times
Reputation: 2307
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Personally, I think Mike's problem is that he thinks it is necessary to know the historical Jesus in order to know the Christ that Jesus embodied.
True, and truth be known there is no historic Jesus, there is an ever present one to be sought after and to know. We no longer know him after the flesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2018, 01:10 PM
 
22,162 posts, read 16,855,193 times
Reputation: 8888
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Personally, I think Mike's problem is that he thinks it is necessary to know the historical Jesus in order to know the Christ that Jesus embodied.
Jesus was the Christ or Messiah or anointed one who fulfilled the Old Testament prophecies. Christ is a title of Jesus which pertains to the fact that he was sent by God the Father to be a King and a deliverer. If there was not in reality an actual Jesus who existed at a real time and place in history then Christianity is a sham. Christianity is an historically based faith, and as I've said many times now, we can know nothing about who Jesus was, or what he taught and did apart from the information which has been recorded about him by his followers.

And yes, I require historical evidence. Subjective feelings don't cut it. If I wasn't convinced by the historical evidence for Jesus and the eyewitness testimony of his resurrection, I wouldn't be a Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2018, 02:24 PM
 
20,610 posts, read 9,935,590 times
Reputation: 1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Jesus was the Christ or Messiah or anointed one who fulfilled the Old Testament prophecies. Christ is a title of Jesus which pertains to the fact that he was sent by God the Father to be a King and a deliverer. If there was not in reality an actual Jesus who existed at a real time and place in history then Christianity is a sham. Christianity is an historically based faith, and as I've said many times now, we can know nothing about who Jesus was, or what he taught and did apart from the information which has been recorded about him by his followers.

And yes, I require historical evidence. Subjective feelings don't cut it. If I wasn't convinced by the historical evidence for Jesus and the eyewitness testimony of his resurrection, I wouldn't be a Christian.
I thought he came to die in your place? But I suppose your subjective feelings get in the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top