Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 02:55 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
As shown in the Gospels, and throughout Jesus' life and ministry, the belief system (Christianity) is a way of life. It's about how to approach God, our fellow "man" (the human race), and eternity. It's about being a vessel for life and love, and a dynamic part of the whole cosmic equation. It's spiritually-based.

In contrast, religion tends to be about conforming to other's ideas and views, adjusting oneself to what is expected by others, fitting in, and mimicking the words and attitudes of others. It's human-based.

Again, 'Christianity' can be considered spiritual or religious. But only one lines up with Jesus and his mission. Jesus' mission was anti-religious. Religion is what he often battled against, and was seen in the religious leaders and hypocrites of his days. Religion led to his crucifixion. Look at the Pharisees for example, to help magnify the contrast. Look at their words and actions with Jesus. It's all there in black and white. This isn't rocket science or brain surgery.

Well said! -- The reality is that to those who are not born-again in God's indwelling Holy Spirit ("those who are perishing"), the practice and ritual of worshiping God is mostly "religious foolishness" (1 Cor 2:13-15, 1 Cor 1:18). Even many "Christians / Christian churches" often get sidetracked by religious programs and ritual, and lose sight of "loving God with one's heart, mind, soul and strength," and "worshiping God in Spirit and truth."

(1 Cor 2:13-15) "And this is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom, but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words. 14 The natural man does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God. For they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15 The spiritual man judges all things, but he himself is not subject to anyone’s judgment.…"

It's been truthfully said, "Religion is man reaching out to God, while Jesus Christ is God reaching out to man." Setting one's eyes/focus on anything/one, but, Jesus Christ, causes one to quickly drift into "religion" and away from God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 03:56 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
As shown in the Gospels, and throughout Jesus' life and ministry, the belief system (Christianity) is a way of life. It's about how to approach God, our fellow "man" (the human race), and eternity. It's about being a vessel for life and love, and a dynamic part of the whole cosmic equation. It's spiritually-based.

In contrast, religion tends to be about conforming to other's ideas and views, adjusting oneself to what is expected by others, fitting in, and mimicking the words and attitudes of others. It's human-based.

Again, 'Christianity' can be considered spiritual or religious. But only one lines up with Jesus and his mission. Jesus' mission was anti-religious. Religion is what he often battled against, and was seen in the religious leaders and hypocrites of his days. Religion led to his crucifixion. Look at the Pharisees for example, to help magnify the contrast. Look at their words and actions with Jesus. It's all there in black and white. This isn't rocket science or brain surgery.
Thoreau, what is that belief system?.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:20 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Thoreau, what is that belief system?.
Pretty much plain old basic Christian. Nothing fancy; not loaded down with unnecessary stuff. I don't want to call it a religion, so 'belief system' is the next best phrase I can think of. Labels and names though aren't what matters. We shouldn't get caught up in all of that.

Jesus kept it simple and light. It can be the same way for us. Some think "the more the better. Just keep piling on stuff" (for a bigger ego and bigger suit of clothes of 'faith' to wear). No thanks.

I'll never treat it like a religion. It's all a relationship for me: a relationship with God, relationship with people and humanity, relationship with nature and God's creations, etc.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-16-2018 at 04:39 PM..

Old 08-16-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Pretty much plain old basic Christian. Nothing fancy; not loaded down with unnecessary stuff. I don't want to call it a religion, so 'belief system' is the next best phrase I can think of. Labels and names though aren't what matters. We shouldn't get caught up in all of that.

Jesus kept it simple and light. It can be the same way for us. Some think "the more the better. Just keep piling on stuff" (for a bigger ego and bigger suit of clothes of 'faith' to wear). No thanks.

I'll never treat it like a religion. It's all a relationship for me: a relationship with God, relationship with people and humanity, relationship with nature and God's creations, etc.
I agree, when you strip all the unnecessary layers away..... it cannot getter anymore basic but so profoundly deep as love your neighbor as yourself, for love does no harm to anyone.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:00 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
I think it's different than pretty much any other religion that tells us that we need to clean ourselves up, or we need to work for a god, or we need to better ourselves to reach enlightenment. It really is about trusting and receiving Jesus instead of all those things. Maybe that's why it's less about doing religious work than it is about a relationship with Jesus.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:06 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I think it's different than pretty much any other religion that tells us that we need to clean ourselves up, or we need to work for a god, or we need to better ourselves to reach enlightenment. It really is about trusting and receiving Jesus instead of all those things. Maybe that's why it's less about doing religious work than it is about a relationship with Jesus.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
And undying faith in declaring the bible inerrant and infallible, because if you don't you can't possibly have a relationship with Jesus can you?.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
And undying faith in declaring the bible inerrant and infallible, because if you don't you can't possibly have a relationship with Jesus can you?.
The Bible is how we know who Jesus is. But to answer your question -- no. There are believers in some countries that have no access to the Scriptures and they believe. I won't question their faith. It's when someone that claims to be a believer and they explicitly contradict the Bible that I have issue.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
The Bible is how we know who Jesus is. But to answer your question -- no. There are believers in some countries that have no access to the Scriptures and they believe. I won't question their faith. It's when someone that claims to be a believer and they explicitly contradict the Bible that I have issue.
The bible is not how we know Jesus, if it was you would have a scripture to support. Every good bible student backs up their beliefs with scripture. So , this you cannot know Jesus without the bible is finally put to bed, it is based on the doctrine of religious men.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
The bible is not how we know Jesus, if it was you would have a scripture to support. Every good bible student backs up their beliefs with scripture. So , this you cannot know Jesus without the bible is finally put to bed, it is based on the doctrine of religious men.
Really? If the bible never existed, how would you know who Jesus is? You MAY be like the people I mentioned in some countries like North Korea that NEVER see a Bible in their life....they know Jesus based on what others have taught them.

On a second point....if the Bible says something about Jesus, and you believe and/or teach something that contradicts it...then what?

Third...what happens if what YOU believe Jesus is contradicts the liver shiver that someone else might get? You can't both be right. Who should we believe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity