Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2018, 10:03 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
It's time to repeat the Tale of Two Chairs, at least for the benefit of someone's mommy.
There aren't too many churches who teach "version 1", or at least I have never been to one which teaches God turned His back on people (He spoke to Abraham, his sons, Moses, sent the prophets, sent Christ etc). The Bible does not teach such thing, so any church teaching it, is not a Bible based church. For whatever reason, your guy on the video seems to think it is a common teaching.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 08-20-2018 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 10:05 AM

33,227 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
You have no respect for the words of Jesus. Period.

You've done it again, proving your own paganism in worshipping the Bible while denying its message.

You may love your Bible but you don't follow His commandments.

You speak of Peter Enns. Read his latest book, The Sin of Certainty where he rebukes those of your ilk for being so certain they miss the truth altogether.
I do hope that you're not going to start to cry. Hey, if you don't want to listen to me, I'm fine with that. After all, I don't listen to anything you have to say either.

By the way, in one of his parables Jesus has God calling a man a fool. Luke 12:20. So do be sure to rebuke God as well.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:11 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There aren't too many churches who teach "version 1", or at least I have never been to on which teaches God turned His back on people. The Bible does not teach such thing, so any church teaching it, is not a Bible based church. For whatever reason, your guy on the video seems to think it is a common teaching.
Well, if you believe in separation from God, then of cause you believe God has turned his back on you and will remain that way until you go through all the channels and loop holes that YOU believe make you a christian.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:13 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I do hope that you're not going to start to cry. Hey, if you don't want to listen to me, I'm fine with that. After all, I don't listen to anything you have to say either.

This, in a nutshell, is why there are 35,000+ denominations of Christianity.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:14 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
Quote:
It's time to repeat the Tale of Two Chairs, at least for the benefit of someone's mommy.

There are really TWO broad views of how God responds to mankind Sophiesmommy. You have chosen the same on I grew up believing, but have now discarded along with fundamentalism.

Watch the video carefully. The speaker accurately describes both views. But it is YOU who must decide which one looks more like Jesus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUWLcQAsgHs

Who is the speaker?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruxy_Cavey

Thanks for posting that video, Warden.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:20 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,710,915 times
Default From The Sin of Certainty

Quote:
Even the scholar you look up to, Peter Enns, agrees that the Bible is the word of God.
''Is the fact of diversity fundamentally contrary to the Bible being the word of God? My answer is no. And the way in which we can begin to address this is issue is to confess at the outset along with the historic Christian church, that the Bible is the word of God.''

''Moreover, inasmuch as Scripture is the word of God, I would expect multiple layers of meaning insofar as no one person, school, or tradition can exhaust the depth of God's word.''

''How do we incorporate certain data with full integrity without sacrificing the truth that the Bible is God's book for his people?''

''Inspiration and Incarnation puts forward a less problematic model of Scripture while also encouraging faith that the Bible is God's word.''

''Paul's midrashic hermeneutic is firmly at home in Second Temple Judism (rather than modern evangelical hermeneutics ), and Paul's letters are God's word . . .''

Inspiration and Incarnation, Peter Enns, pp.96, 151, 157, 173, 175
So stop being a judgmental fool. On the other hand, be a judgmental fool. That's really your problem. No one else's.
From Peter Enns' book, The Sin of Certainty: (chapters given only---it is an e-book)

Quote:
It is so easy to slip into 'right thinking' mode---that we have arrived at full faith. We know what church God goes to, what Bible translation God prefers, how God votes, what movies God watches, and what books God reads. We know the kinds of people God approves of. God has winners and losers, and we are the winners, the true insiders. God likes all the things we like. We speak for God and think nothing of it.

All Christians I've ever met who take their faith seriously sooner or later get caught up in thinking that God really is what we think God is, that there is little more worth learning about the Creator of the cosmos. God becomes the face in the mirror."
Chapter The Lie: It's All Your Fault

Quote:
"Wanting clarity is seeking some sort of control."
Chapter Down the Mine Shaft

Quote:
"Dying now the way Jesus says to means letting go already of every comfort, familiarity, joy, and sorrow--and of the false sense of control those things give us. Letting go of these things is a dying process."
Chapter The Truth: God Wants You Dead

You are a control freak, Mike, and the Bible means nothing to you except for your own view of it and your prideful ability to interpret it.

God wants you dead--so that you can live again by being obedient to Jesus.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:21 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,710,915 times
Quote:

By the way, in one of his parables Jesus has God calling a man a fool. Luke 12:20. So do be sure to rebuke God as well.
Yep, but Jesus words in Matthew were in the Sermon on the Mount. He was speaking to potential followers which you have proven you are incapable of doing.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:30 AM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:

There are really TWO broad views of how God responds to mankind Sophiesmommy. You have chosen the same on I grew up believing, but have now discarded along with fundamentalism.

Watch the video carefully. The speaker accurately describes both views. But it is YOU who must decide which one looks more like Jesus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUWLcQAsgHs

Who is the speaker?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruxy_Cavey
Watched the video... my comments

The gospel round 1

Incorrect assertion (1:57) - With the exception of Adam, we do not start life with an intimate relationship w/ God and then turn our back on Him. We are physically born dead to God. We don't choose to turn our back... we are already separated from God when we are physically born.

Incorrect assertion (2:23) - God turned His back on us. That's false. Otherwise, He would have not sent Christ - which was His plan from Genesis 3.

Incorrect assertion (3:29) - Jesus did not die to put wrath aside. He died as a sacrifice for sin because when there is sin there needs to be a death that pays for it. And Jesus' death is sufficient to pay for the sins of the entire world.

The gospel round 2

Incorrect assertion (6:23) - God does not push people away in judgment - this is not true. John 8. He told the Pharisees they would die in their sin. How come he can recall the first part of John 8 with the woman, but miss the latter part of chapter 8 when he judges the Pharisees?

So he seems to use false statements and attach them to certain people he thinks are associated with the first gospel. In other words - he sets up a straw man to knock down.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:36 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

The gospel round 1

Incorrect assertion (1:57) - With the exception of Adam, we do not start life with an intimate relationship w/ God and then turn our back on Him. We are physically born dead to God. We don't choose to turn our back... we are already separated from God when we are physically born.

Incorrect assertion (2:23) - God turned His back on us. That's false. Otherwise, He would have not sent Christ - which was His plan from Genesis 3.

Incorrect assertion (3:29) - Jesus did not die to put wrath aside. He died as a sacrifice for sin because when there is sin there needs to be a death that pays for it. And Jesus' death is sufficient to pay for the sins of the entire world.

The gospel round 2

Incorrect assertion (6:23) - God does not push people away in judgment - this is not true. John 8. He told the Pharisees they would die in their sin. How come he can recall the first part of John 8 with the woman, but miss the latter part of chapter 8 when he judges the Pharisees?

So he seems to use false statements and attach them to certain people he thinks are associated with the first gospel. In other words - he sets up a straw man to knock down.
God according to evangelicals has separated himself from us because of our sin, how is that any different from turning his back on us. You know perfectly well you believe there is a gulf between God and man unless man reaches out to Jesus that separation who back turning still exists. If God has not turned his back on us then there is nothing to be concerned about , right?. Is not that a fair statement?.

Last edited by pcamps; 08-20-2018 at 11:01 AM..

Old 08-20-2018, 10:54 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

The gospel round 1

The gospel round 2

Yes, it fails at many levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity