U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2018, 02:48 AM

18,995 posts, read 7,386,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Bob, I'm willing to concede and this is why I've not responded to anything here in the past couple of days. You've made your point, as have others, and I really have nothing else to say other than what I've already said. What will happen is what will happen regardless of anything we might say here. I guess my main problem with this particular topic is the total lack of understanding by others as to why people do some of the things that they do. These 'bad people' are often 'wounded' and they are even referred to as being 'sick' by many of those who protest their behavior. A pastor I knew would occasionally remark as to how so many Christians would rather shoot their sick and their wounded than to try and understand what is driving these people and as to how they can be helped.

Trying to understand is fine, on top of, not in place of, justice. The Fl gaming shooter was likely sick inside too. The Vegas massacre guy was likely sick inside too. That does not mitigate the proper role of a civilized nation to seek justice.

Priests receive the full rights of citizens, so we should enforce upon them the full obligations of citizens to obey all laws, or face all consequences when they do not.

The transgender analogy of yours stunk, as unlike pedophiles, their is not aggrieved wounded 2nd party via the former.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 04:53 AM

3,046 posts, read 1,063,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Trying to understand is fine, on top of, not in place of, justice. The Fl gaming shooter was likely sick inside too. The Vegas massacre guy was likely sick inside too. That does not mitigate the proper role of a civilized nation to seek justice.

Priests receive the full rights of citizens, so we should enforce upon them the full obligations of citizens to obey all laws, or face all consequences when they do not.

The transgender analogy of yours stunk, as unlike pedophiles, their is not aggrieved wounded 2nd party via the former.
Okay Bob.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:25 AM

56,279 posts, read 54,731,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Back in the day that I'm referring to - the mid-1950's - society was very different to that of today. For instance, had anyone reported to the superintendent any of the abuse that went on in Fulwood Cottage Homes (the place I was housed in) it's doubtful that the police would have been called. It would have been dealt with internally. Yes, people may have been fired but then allowed to find employment elsewhere in a similar position. That's just the way it was. People seem to be oblivious to the fact that some of the things we might regard serious today were seen differently decades ago. This was also before psychology had taken a hold and told us how damaged we were/are.
People are the opposite of oblivious to that fact. The idea that abuse was seen "differently" years ago is exactly the problem.

As for your inability to have escaped long-term psych damage relatively unscathed, that's great, but for you to prance around saying to other victims, "You should be just fine and dandy because I am" is dismissive of their individual experience. There were people who killed themselves over things that were done to them by abusive adults. Or caused them to turn to drugs to relieve their feelings. Or to bury them for decades with negative long-term effects. You know this. If you were lucky enough whether through some strength of mind or circumstance to avoid such effects, I am happy for you, but dismissing as invalid the experience of other people who are not as fortunate as you are is the type of thinking that made these things so easy to bury years ago.

By the same token, dismissing as unimportant signs that these priests were in trouble in their own minds also made matters worse.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:11 AM

15,510 posts, read 12,190,741 times
What is the REAL point of incarcerating a 70/80 year-old man for historical cases of abuse?
Is he going to be taught a lesson for his offenses?
Is he going to be rehabilitated?
Does his incarceration serve as anything other than as a means for the vindictive among us to gloat sadistically?-Romulus

((sarcasm alert))...you're right they're 75...we should just forget about it
and let them retire peacefully.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:42 AM

15,510 posts, read 12,190,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, Rom, they are not people who merely have been given an unpopular label.
They are people who have done physical acts that harm children, a group of people who have no defense against bigger humans who want to use their bodies for sexual gratification.
I know, 'merely' labeled, wrong.

I am close to this subject personally, deal with it everyday of my life and now I am care giving my sister whose entire life has been effected and all around her...plus, I know others.

Let us not forget the family...oh my, how the family, esp the other siblings, are affected
when 'Johnny' retreats into himself , his whole personality changes, grades drop, future dreams and the parents saving for college go down the tubes, later in life 'Johnny' becomes a financial
disaster, possibly obese, then diabetic, going to many therapists or none, doesn't have healthy long term happy relationships...it goes on for a lifetime within the family.

Most pedophiles are very nice people, btw, with gentle demeanors...they are not mean or gruff...they
know how to attract flies with honey.

They are the Don Juan's of children; Seducers of trust, acutely aware of innocence.

Something is 'off' within their brains...as in, certain synapses that are connected and firing in
a reg brain do not in theirs...similar to a sociopath/anti-social and the narcissist...
their has been damage done very early on 2-5yrs old...as if a bridge has been washed out...the connections were never made properly.
A lay person may see it as simply warped or distorted thinking...it's much more.

I forgive them of their mental illness...and they should be kept away from society in an institution
of some kind and placed in therapy...with kindness.
These are not what you would call evil people, btw.
They are mentally ill.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:55 AM

20,450 posts, read 9,860,175 times
The Organization and its hierarchy are responsible for the actions of those employed as well as the perpetrator's who committed the offenses. Especially, given the fact that they were aware, but did nothing. However, the question is: What do you do about it decades later?

How do you compensate those that were wronged. How do you give back what was lost?

Old 08-29-2018, 03:18 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,716,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
What is the REAL point of incarcerating a 70/80 year-old man for historical cases of abuse?
Is he going to be taught a lesson for his offenses?
Is he going to be rehabilitated?
Does his incarceration serve as anything other than as a means for the vindictive among us to gloat sadistically?-Romulus

((sarcasm alert))...you're right they're 75...we should just forget about it
and let them retire peacefully.
And what would you do with the ones who covered up for him and the others? They are not 75 and are still in power.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:21 PM

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/br..._campaign=LSN#

BREAKING: Pope knowingly gave Vatican apartment to gay priest later caught in cocaine-fuelled orgy

https://www.lifesitenews.com/blogs/v...u-need-to-know

Vatican gay orgy: 12 facts you need to know

Old 08-29-2018, 03:50 PM

https://www.catholicworldreport.com/...ano-testimony/

Why we stay, and the Vigano Testimony

Old 08-29-2018, 09:42 PM

3,046 posts, read 1,063,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
Bob, I'm willing to concede and this is why I've not responded to anything here in the past couple of days. You've made your point, as have others, and I really have nothing else to say other than what I've already said. What will happen is what will happen regardless of anything we might say here. I guess my main problem with this particular topic is the total lack of understanding by others as to why people do some of the things that they do. These 'bad people' are often 'wounded' and they are even referred to as being 'sick' by many of those who protest their behavior. A pastor I knew would occasionally remark as to how so many Christians would rather shoot their sick and their wounded than to try and understand what is driving these people and as to how they can be helped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

Bob, obviously I'm coming at this from a different perspective and am offering my own points of view on this topic. I'm not one for tossing people on to the garbage heap and washing my hands of them simply because I'm affected by strong emotion or by what might be the tribal viewpoint of the day.

I'm not you. I don't want to be you. I'm me. I'm fine being me. Are we clear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or