Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2018, 06:20 PM

23,653 posts, read 17,433,371 times

Advertisements

https://www.churchmilitant.com/news/...#disqus_thread

Episcopal Sodomy: Gay Seminarian Pipeline

"Church Militant has learned that a clandestine pipeline for homosexual seminarians was established in the 1990s and into the early 2000s where active gay men from Colombia, South America were being secretly funneled to U.S. seminaries.
Multiple seminarians have been in contact with us and want the entire story of the massive, massive crisis of homosexual predation by the clergy — especially in the seminaries — completely exposed."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 08:38 PM

1,183 posts, read 531,037 times
I helped with Sunday School at a large church. The rule is at least two adults at all times when young children are present. It is a wise rule that not only protects children but adults as well. Sometimes kids can be coerced to believe and say anything. Your whole life can be ruined by a mentally unstable parent intent to hurt and destroy.

Protect little kids and... ‘be wise as serpents and innocent as doves’ Matt 10:16

Old 08-21-2018, 09:37 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,224,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
I helped with Sunday School at a large church. The rule is at least two adults at all times when young children are present. It is a wise rule that not only protects children but adults as well. Sometimes kids can be coerced to believe and say anything. Your whole life can be ruined by a mentally unstable parent intent to hurt and destroy.

Protect little kids and... ‘be wise as serpents and innocent as doves’ Matt 10:16
Finally, something we agree on. Because I have seen a youth pastor manipulate a teen which destroyed her family by turning on the father. So, we always had more than two. It helps to be wiser than a serpent and watchful as a hawk. However, for the most part, it is the adult that abuses an innocent child.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:40 AM

10,496 posts, read 6,950,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

"Church Militant has learned that a clandestine pipeline for homosexual seminarians was established in the 1990s and into the early 2000s where active gay men from Colombia, South America were being secretly funneled to U.S. seminaries.
Multiple seminarians have been in contact with us and want the entire story of the massive, massive crisis of homosexual predation by the clergy — especially in the seminaries — completely exposed."

Kind of a misleading headline. For a minute, I thought it was discussing the Episcopal Church.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:38 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,458,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

I very much doubt this will be exposed, its too negative in relation to homosexuality, it would set the LGBT community back decades.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:33 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,224,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I very much doubt this will be exposed, its too negative in relation to homosexuality, it would set the LGBT community back decades.
People seem to always find someone to blame, nothing original about that. Remember, it's the woman you gave me?
It doesn't matter what someone's sexual orientation is - abuse is abuse and blaming others isn't going to change that!

Old 08-22-2018, 01:58 PM

88,154 posts, read 84,024,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Kind of a misleading headline. For a minute, I thought it was discussing the Episcopal Church.
Ha, so did I at first.

But Episcopal refers to Bishops (as you know but others might not).

Old 08-22-2018, 09:42 PM

6,635 posts, read 2,831,650 times
Here's a thought ...and one that will undoubtedly resonate as most unpopular with the majority of posters on this thread. But, guess what? I don't care. Has anyone ever considered getting to the root of the mind of a pedophile and seriously attempting to actually help those who have the pluck to admit that they are sexually drawn to children and are themselves suffering with this major problem in their lives? Or, is ignorantly slamming them as evil and deserving of eternal punishment, as the majority do, the best method to use?

I've been on the receiving end of abuse (I'm truly sick of that word) as a ward of the state in the late 1950's, way before psychology told us that we were damaged for life so therefore we are. I survived and did so in pretty good shape, all considering. I hold no animosity toward those two or three who I realize were 'damaged' in some way and even, sadly, probably broken. I doubt that they ever intended to abuse anyone when they applied for the position. Opportunities arose and they fell victim to feelings that were beyond their ken, i.e. they had no understanding as to what was driving these feelings. I'm sure that they never asked for them.

It goes without saying that it's quite the fashion to hate pedophiles, even though most of us, I would guess, know of none personally but rather hear about them via the popular media. I don't hate them. I feel sorry for them and wish that I or we could help them in some way to overcome these issues and to become 'human' again rather than wish them a speedy journey to hell. Wow ...hatred knows no bounds! As said, I don't hate any of those from my past who temporarily caused me distress ...sexually, not so much, but certainly physically and emotionally in huge amounts.

Pedophiles (it's just a label) were once children themselves ...it's hard to believe that there was ever a time, eh? And, since humans are humans, a certain percentage of 'innocent' children today will become the pedophiles of tomorrow. THAT is a fact! So, should those who hold such tendencies be encouraged to speak up and, hopefully, be helped to deal with it without being subjected to the typical hatred that is spewed from most of those on this thread?

Old 08-23-2018, 08:31 AM

88,154 posts, read 84,024,464 times
^Interesting, RomulusXXV

It is hard to drum up sympathy for people who harm children. There already is, of course, treatment for people who sexually abuse children, but it doesn't "fix" them. I recall reading an article interviewing some men who had been convicted of sexually abusing children and were free. They knew they had to stay away from places where children are so that they were not tempted, they went out of town on Halloween, etc. But the desire is always there.

If you feel like losing sleep for a couple of days, read the book, Journey Into Darkness by John Douglass (with a ghostwriter), the man who started the FBI profiling unit. In the book, he goes into the minds of serial killers and other murderers. One of the unsolved murders was that of an 11-year-old girl, a star soccer player. She got a call from someone identifying himself as a reporter, who wanted to get a photograph of her at her school. Because this wasn't particularly unusual for her, she went. Her body was found a few days later alongside a path in a park, wrapped in a blanket. She had been raped and strangled.

Douglass's assessment was that the man had likely been following this girl in the papers or maybe even at the soccer matches for some times and had fallen in love with her. In his mind, when he begins his sexual advances on her, he expects her to react as an adult woman would in a consensual relationship. When she didn't, he panicked and murdered her. However, by wrapping her in a blanket and leaving her where she would be found rather than just dumping the body somewhere, that indicates he had feelings for her.

So people study this stuff and have for a very long time. Andrew Vachss is someone whose work you might want to look at. He is a lawyer and child protection advocate as well as an author who writes fiction about child abuse. I heard an interview with him once in which he says he takes all the anger and despair that he experiences and pours it into his writing. He told of one time when, as a lawyer, he had to interview a man who had been arrested for having sex with his one-year-old daughter. The man told him "She is my baby and so I should be able to have sex with her if I want to." Vachss said at that moment he wanted nothing more than to kill the man. He looked at the guard and he knew he could kill the man before the guard could get to him, but then he'd be in prison and unable to do what he did. He took that emotion and poured it into his writing.

But in the end, even if there is some level of sympathy for the those who foist harm on children, first and foremost the children have to be protected. I have always thought the best way to handle child sexual predators is to keep them restricted to some sort of communal facility where they can live together and be as self-sufficient as possible, perhaps in one of our less-populated parts of the country. Fenced-in, guarded, of course, with no access to the general population, but allowed to roam within their limits. Let them raise their own food, have hobbies, whatever. Provide psych services. Just keep them from access to children. Forever.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:55 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,236,632 times
I knew pedophiles personally...(I feel sorry for them, of course.) They need help and therapy.
Did you know some actually think a 5 year old is being sexually coy, and flirtatious deliberately?
And 'wants' him to touch her private parts? What shockingly distorted thinking!

I was too naive decades ago not realizing they should be behind bars, ( in therapy, also),
because they don't stop!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity