Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 09:44 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times

Advertisements

As you know I get pretty tired of verses as topics about evil doers and adulterers. Oh,
and eternal torment...lest we forget.
Here is the first verse that I ever saw, (btw,on a refrigerator) in the topic...by the 2nd verse on a funeral
bookmark, Psalm 139...I was intrigued and soon got a Bible or at least thought about it.

This verse is around Isaiah 23? And is quite different in various translations.
I know it by heart, of course.
Since I have sat in stillness and silence for hours on end (for 45 yrs this month!)...staying
my mind on Him ...is a snap; having Practiced the Presence for so long.

What does this singular statement from God mean to you? Maybe you never paid attention to it...it
hasn't been brought up in a sermon maybe.
Have you ever practiced this?
What does it mean...it's obvious it doesn't mean stay your mind on generosity, service, learning verses, preach, love your wife;otherwise He would have said that ...It's clear "on Me".
he also did not say place your heart on Me. Hmm..

Why the mind? How can we place our minds on Him...cuz, 'Me' wouldn't be words He has said
or pages in a book from a Being that existed before humans were even conceived...
As my words are not 'me'...me is 'me', lol
...you don't buy presents for a book.... you buy presents for a person, a being....
"Me" is a singular Being to stay your mind on....it is very personal..wouldn't you say?

So if you post, "It means staying your mind on the Bible or practicing what He has said, following
His Commandments"...a buzzer will sound and ya get the hook.
(a Vaudeville term for the youngsters).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 10:14 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
That's one of those verses that stuck with me as well, MissH. Together with, "As a person thinks, so s/he is" and "Be transformed by the renewing of your mind", and "Whatever is noble, lovely, etc., think on these things."

It's simple for me. As a person who was mired in depression for most of my life, when I finally realized I wasn't at the mercy of my thoughts but could actually learn to think about things which were uplifting, my life began to change for the better exponentially. But it all started with realizing that anything I thought about God that wasn't noble and lovely and didn't renew me and bring peace, wasn't true.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
That's one of those verses that stuck with me as well, MissH.
Together with, "As a person thinks, so s/he is" and "Be transformed by the renewing of your mind",
and "Whatever is noble, lovely, etc., think on these things."

It's simple for me. As a person who was mired in depression for most of my life,
when I finally realized I wasn't at the mercy of my thoughts but could actually learn to think
about things which were uplifting, my life began to change for the better exponentially.
But it all started with realizing that anything I thought about God that wasn't noble and
lovely and didn't renew me and bring peace, wasn't true.
Needed to be shown again!!!! Beautiful.

Truth hits a person in a different way, don't you find...that's where the phrase 'rings true'
comes from; it has a beautiful 'ring'....feeds the soul truth....never a 'clang'.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:39 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
As you know I get pretty tired of verses as topics about evil doers and adulterers. Oh,
and eternal torment...lest we forget.
Here is the first verse that I ever saw, (btw,on a refrigerator) in the topic...by the 2nd verse on a funeral
bookmark, Psalm 139...I was intrigued and soon got a Bible or at least thought about it.

This verse is around Isaiah 23? And is quite different in various translations.
I know it by heart, of course.
Since I have sat in stillness and silence for hours on end (for 45 yrs this month!)...staying
my mind on Him ...is a snap; having Practiced the Presence for so long.

What does this singular statement from God mean to you? Maybe you never paid attention to it...it
hasn't been brought up in a sermon maybe.
Have you ever practiced this?
What does it mean...it's obvious it doesn't mean stay your mind on generosity, service, learning verses, preach, love your wife;otherwise He would have said that ...It's clear "on Me".
he also did not say place your heart on Me. Hmm..

Why the mind? How can we place our minds on Him...cuz, 'Me' wouldn't be words He has said
or pages in a book from a Being that existed before humans were even conceived...
As my words are not 'me'...me is 'me', lol
...you don't buy presents for a book.... you buy presents for a person, a being....
"Me" is a singular Being to stay your mind on....it is very personal..wouldn't you say?

So if you post, "It means staying your mind on the Bible or practicing what He has said, following
His Commandments"...a buzzer will sound and ya get the hook.
(a Vaudeville term for the youngsters).
what>? NO GONG!?

For me it is "thinking" 'bout god without being conscious I am thinking 'bout god.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Needed to be shown again!!!! Beautiful.

Truth hits a person in a different way, don't you find...that's where the phrase 'rings true'
comes from; it has a beautiful 'ring'....feeds the soul truth....never a 'clang'.
Yes, that's a great way of saying it!

In my experience, though, it took time to be re-tuned so that I could discern the difference between the ring and the clang after so many years of being told that it was dangerous to listen to and trust my feelings when things the church taught me didn't feel right. I ignored the warning clangs for 40+ years, to my detriment.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:08 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
A prayer of St. Francis of Assisi:

"Lord, make me an instrument of your peace; where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy."

Old 08-14-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
In my experience, though, it took time to be re-tuned so that I could discern the difference between the ring and the clang after so many years of being told that it was dangerous to listen to and trust my feelings when things the church taught me didn't feel right. I ignored the warning clangs for 40+ years, to my detriment.
Oh my, this is quite profound....thank you...I play Cello....it is a tuning that can be very subtle.
You have tuned yourself well, from my take.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Oh my, this is quite profound....thank you...I play Cello....it is a tuning that can be very subtle.
You have tuned yourself well, from my take.
Thanks MissH! You’re someone who has helped me with the tuning.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:37 PM

3,220 posts, read 924,896 times
Searched twenty or more bibles but did not find that verse anywhere.

Jesus didn't teach to sit still and be quiet!

He said as do I;

"The man who comes to me hears my word and uses it. "

"My mother, brothers and sisters hear the word of God and do it."

" Whatever your heart is full of that's what your mouth will speak. "

"Blessed is He who hears the word of the Lord and keeps it."

"I know Him and I keep His word. "

"I must go to the surrounding cities and preach the good news of the kingdom God for this is why I was sent".

" As the Father sent me so I send you. "

Old 08-14-2018, 09:09 PM

Oh Is 26:3...I get my #s backwards ocassionally.

What i do is type even part of a verse and google it...never fails me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity