Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 10:00 PM

3,220 posts, read 913,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Oh Is 26:3...I get my #s backwards ocassionally.

What i do is type even part of a verse and google it...never fails me.
None of the verses have God speaking it. None of them say Me.

Almost all say it is for those who trust in God. Trusting in God is being faithful. Not thinking. It is serving as Jesus and the prophets have demonstrated. These verses are not meant to include those who are not part of Israel. They are meant for God's people as described in scripture.

Isaiah 26:3 (NKJV) You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You.

New Living Translation
Isaiah 26:3 (NLT) You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!

New Revised Standard
Isaiah 26:3 (NRS) Those of steadfast mind you keep in peace— in peace because they trust in you.

"Offer just sacrifice and trust in the Lord."

That verse defines trusting in God. Offering just and righteous sacrifice. A sacrifice that glorifies God.

"Whoever offers praise as a sacrifice glorifies me and to Him who goes the right way I will show the salvation of God," says the Lord
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 11:00 PM

63,484 posts, read 39,770,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
That's one of those verses that stuck with me as well, MissH. Together with, "As a person thinks, so s/he is" and "Be transformed by the renewing of your mind", and "Whatever is noble, lovely, etc., think on these things."
It's simple for me. As a person who was mired in depression for most of my life, when I finally realized I wasn't at the mercy of my thoughts but could actually learn to think about things which were uplifting, my life began to change for the better exponentially. But it all started with realizing that anything I thought about God that wasn't noble and lovely and didn't renew me and bring peace, wasn't true.

Quote:
Needed to be shown again!!!! Beautiful.

Truth hits a person in a different way, don't you find...that's where the phrase 'rings true'
comes from; it has a beautiful 'ring'....feeds the soul truth....never a 'clang'.
Amen, sisters!

Old 08-15-2018, 06:33 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,250,785 times
As I said...many other translations will be found...trusting in Him, God...well, of course.
That's a given....it was not on the refrigerator.
'Staying your mind on Him'....keeping you in perfect peace...ah, how wonderful.

This is the exact verse left on the refrigerator of an empty house for sale of a deceased black lady in CO.
Nice of the family to leave it, eh?

All the versions have the same meaning...this was how I saw it first, so...

I know how I stay my mind on Him....Him, directly. ..within.
If someone thinks that only means trusting Him...well, ok....but there is way more to it.
To each his own.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:37 AM

This is such a nice 'devotion' by Woodrow Kroll...retired now from backtothebible.org--excerpt:

With my soul have I desired Thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek Thee early: for when Thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness.
One of the prevailing themes of both Old and New Testaments is the constant presence of peace in the hearts of those who abide in God. The prophet Isaiah said it this way, "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee" Isaiah 26:3

(This I did not know!- Miss H.)
Literally Isaiah said, "Thou wilt keep him in peace, peace."
Or God will keep us in double peace.
He will give us a double portion of peace when our minds rest on Him.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:20 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,008,052 times
Good question. For me it means keeping my mind on His Word, meditating on it and asking Him questions about what He means, and not just about the lines in the books. I ask Him things about why a certain thing is so about things of the natural creation, too. I was the kid who always asked the nearly impossible questions for the average parent to answer. The most stunning revelation for me aside from salvation experience was finding out not only was there really a God, but you could ask THE Creator of the universe questions and He would actually answer back! I was over the moon about that with joy; finally someone who could answer my questions! I was like a kid in a candy store over that one. It STILL thrills me to get an answer and I never want to take it or Him for granted. Blessings...

Old 08-15-2018, 07:12 PM

3,220 posts, read 913,840 times
As it is written,

"Peace is my gift to you. My peace is my farewell to you. "(Jesus and His believers)

Peace is a gift.

But if you don't know what it is you cannot accept it.

The peace of God is a mystery to the sinner. God will not allow the wicked to have it. Though they think they know.

What did Jesus give the Disciples?

" No peace for the wicked. No peace for all mankind, "saith the Lord

Old 08-19-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Good question. For me it means keeping my mind on His Word, meditating on it and asking Him questions about what He means, and not just about the lines in the books. I ask Him things about why a certain thing is so about things of the natural creation, too. I was the kid who always asked the nearly impossible questions for the average parent to answer. The most stunning revelation for me aside from salvation experience was finding out not only was there really a God, but you could ask THE Creator of the universe questions and He would actually answer back! I was over the moon about that with joy; finally someone who could answer my questions! I was like a kid in a candy store over that one. It STILL thrills me to get an answer and I never want to take it or Him for granted. Blessings...
Sweet answer.
I would say...for me...it would be placing my attention, focus on Him;
not what He has done...not what He has said...not what others have said about Him in even
glorious, poetic praise...Him.
No wondering or wandering of my mind...just Him...become absorbed on Him, in Him.
And so far, so good.

As someone said,
Remember God so much that you are forgotten.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 08-19-2018 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: left a word out! Hahaha

Old 08-19-2018, 07:07 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,129,945 times
Yes, it's resting in the Finished Work - for Christianity isn't 'do', it's 'done'.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:09 PM

1,183 posts, read 531,678 times
Quote:
As you know I get pretty tired of verses as topics about evil doers and adulterers. Oh,
and eternal torment...lest we forget.
Here is the first verse that I ever saw, (btw,on a refrigerator) in the topic...by the 2nd verse on a funeral
bookmark, Psalm 139...I was intrigued and soon got a Bible or at least thought about it.

This verse is around Isaiah 23? And is quite different in various translations.
I know it by heart, of course.
Since I have sat in stillness and silence for hours on end (for 45 yrs this month!)...staying
my mind on Him ...is a snap; having Practiced the Presence for so long.

What does this singular statement from God mean to you? Maybe you never paid attention to it...it
hasn't been brought up in a sermon maybe.
Have you ever practiced this?
What does it mean...it's obvious it doesn't mean stay your mind on generosity, service, learning verses, preach, love your wife;otherwise He would have said that ...It's clear "on Me".
he also did not say place your heart on Me. Hmm..

Why the mind? How can we place our minds on Him...cuz, 'Me' wouldn't be words He has said
or pages in a book from a Being that existed before humans were even conceived...
As my words are not 'me'...me is 'me', lol
...you don't buy presents for a book.... you buy presents for a person, a being....
"Me" is a singular Being to stay your mind on....it is very personal..wouldn't you say?

So if you post, "It means staying your mind on the Bible or practicing what He has said, following
His Commandments"...a buzzer will sound and ya get the hook.
(a Vaudeville term for the youngsters).
One of the main reasons that people talk about sin and God’s wrath is that many misrepresent God’s Word. In my humble opinion, for people to intentionally twist the meaning of Scripture to fit their ideology is probably one of the worst sins to commit, even murder.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:13 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,149,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
One of the main reasons that people talk about sin and God’s wrath is that many misrepresent God’s Word. In my humble opinion, for people to intentionally twist the meaning of Scripture to fit their ideology is probably one of the worst sins to commit, even murder.
Because you are sin conscious and have faith in a wrathful militant God it is inevitable you will misrepresent the scriptures. Onward Christian soldiers marching on to war.... Commit murder ? Are you serious?, you are obviosly ignorant about church history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity