U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-16-2018, 05:12 PM
 
5,961 posts, read 1,702,308 times
Reputation: 906

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Since your mega church is not government funded it must makes it easy for your mega church to pick and choose who they want to help in the community.

Have any Muslim or Atheists asked for help from your mega church?

Guess you canít post any proof of your mega churches is doing what you claim?
My church operates a food pantry and I have personally taken some people to it to pick up food. We never ask what church they go to, or if they even have a church. In other ministries, we also never ask.

There are people that will whine about churches not paying taxes, etc. Fact is, most churches in America barely keep the doors open. It can be said that a church is only 6 months away from closing the doors, most of the time. I'm pretty confident Jimmy's probably is, as well. If people stop giving, that church will shut down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2018, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,379 posts, read 12,133,948 times
Reputation: 16624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Miss Hepburn, I believe God's favor doesn't flow TO us, but rather it flows THROUGH us, which is why jimmie's church, mine, yours and everyone else's should be interested in the most effective ways to let God's favor flow to OTHERS, particularly the marginalized.

Whether or not a believer receives "favor" from God is unimportant. God loved Job, a faithful and true man, but whether Job received favor with the tests he endured is a matter of perspective. Whether we try to pass God's "favor" through us is all important.
Oh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2018, 10:01 PM
 
20,402 posts, read 9,828,032 times
Reputation: 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Oh
Warden has a good heart, he just doesn't like baloney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2018, 10:23 PM
 
Location: Panama City, FL
3,139 posts, read 939,100 times
Reputation: 1024
What do you think of 'being in God's favor'?

I'm in favor of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2018, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Panama City, FL
3,139 posts, read 939,100 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
My church operates a food pantry and I have personally taken some people to it to pick up food. We never ask what church they go to, or if they even have a church. In other ministries, we also never ask.

There are people that will whine about churches not paying taxes, etc. Fact is, most churches in America barely keep the doors open. It can be said that a church is only 6 months away from closing the doors, most of the time. I'm pretty confident Jimmy's probably is, as well. If people stop giving, that church will shut down.
There are over 300,000 TAX EXEMPT houses of worship in the U.S. That's a lot of tax free business. I think it is unscriptural for the church and state to lie in the same bed. Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's ... and unto God, that which is God's.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2018, 10:31 PM
 
Location: Panama City, FL
3,139 posts, read 939,100 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I would say that God's "favor" flows to everyone, irrespective of what they do or don't do. God doesn't play favorites. But, none of us experience all that favor all of the time, because sometimes - or most times - we're just not in the right frame of mind to receive it.
Sin brings it's own punishment upon a person. It's the universal law of God. God doesn't have to lift a finger, but we can do a lot to make trouble for ourselves by wrong decision, dishonesty, greed, avarice, etc. or we can walk in love and welcome peace into our lives. This is not always true because sometimes very random bad things happen to people, not because of anything they did, but because someone else chose to do evil. Every person you share the earth with has the power to bless or curse -- and there are stray bullets flying around out there. I do ask God to order my steps so that I may not be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I also offer my soul to him to take out of the world in his sovereign timing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2018, 10:32 PM
 
Location: Panama City, FL
3,139 posts, read 939,100 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Many are quick to attribute progress of others to luck or a rich daddy
but few that see the sweat and toil and trials that got you there
How many times have I been told by strangers that have no concept of foreign poverty- that I am doing well bek I am white and lucky
Many envy what I have but few what I had to do to get it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2018, 10:38 PM
 
Location: Panama City, FL
3,139 posts, read 939,100 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Job was a man of God, faithful in every way. Would you, right in the moment that you read this, wish God to treat you with "favor" in exactly the same way?

Would you have God "bless" you by taking your wife and children, your children's children, your earthly wealth (and, oh, in America we are all wealthy, wealthy, wealthy), your cars, your home, and have all your church family telling you to repent?

Is that the "favor" you expect?

Neither did Job--but it happened to him anyway. God set Job straight in the end, but He put Job's "church" family to shame because they expected God to act in a certain way for particular reasons. Yet Job is God's witness to us that being in His "favor" doesn't always work out like we think it should.

Yet He expects us to trust Him regardless of our circumstances and in spite of what WE think is right.


Should I pray for you that God will see you in the same light as He did Job, His good and faithful servant?
Truth. Not my favorite story, but I believe it. God has not promised us a bed of roses on earth. Anyone who trusts in himself or in his current state of worldly wealth is a fool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2018, 10:39 PM
 
Location: Panama City, FL
3,139 posts, read 939,100 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I have posted this many times before. My mega-church church runs a free medical & dental clinic for the poor in our community, a food bank, we operate an after-school care program for at-risk students, where we feed them and help with school work, we give away coats to the poor in the winter, we do local light construction for the handicapped and home-bound, we help people find jobs, we feed and clothe the homeless, all staffed and funded by the members, in addition to foreign missions. We are NOT the only church in our area that does these things.
I'm really glad that your church does these works of mercy. May God richly bless you and your church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2018, 03:39 AM
 
3,656 posts, read 1,136,730 times
Reputation: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
My church operates a food pantry and I have personally taken some people to it to pick up food. We never ask what church they go to, or if they even have a church. In other ministries, we also never ask.

There are people that will whine about churches not paying taxes, etc. Fact is, most churches in America barely keep the doors open. It can be said that a church is only 6 months away from closing the doors, most of the time. I'm pretty confident Jimmy's probably is, as well. If people stop giving, that church will shut down.
So BFun, what do all the other church’s do so poorly compared to jimmiej’s megachurch?

Does god favor jimmiej more then the failed churches i see in my neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top