U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 05:26 AM
Status: "Trump 2020-make liberals cry again" (set 3 days ago)

16,347 posts, read 8,890,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
So BFun, what do all the other churchís do so poorly compared to jimmiejís megachurch?

Does god favor jimmiej more then the failed churches i see in my neighborhood?
Where do you get that from? Like BF said, my church wouldnít survive long without consistent offerings given from the members. We spend virtually all the money we receive on ministries and expenses.

If people want a local church, they have to support it financially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 06:32 AM

981 posts, read 355,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Just wondering, cuz this is a term I have heard quite often.

The way I saw it was pretty simple...A Dad comes home from work...
all 6 kids stay in front of the TV, don't even say, Hi....ONE jumps up and says, "Daddy!"
He picks her up and swings her around.*
This remains the scenario for years..now it's time for graduation presents...who do ya
think gets the red convertible?

The dad loves 'em all, tho.

* That's how I identify myself with my Heavenly Father, btw.
He picks me up and throws me in the air.
AND THEN one day Poppa came home and learned His kids had done something terrible.

They graduated and left home, never to call or write their dear father again. They secretly hated him to the depth of their being and never wanted to see him or talk to him again. This situation continued until the day they died.

The father still loved them very much, but never saw them again.

It was their choice, not his.

Father had given them everything they wanted and needed and then some besides. Father expressed his love for them a hundred ways, but in the end it was rejected.

YOU SEE ... the kids wanted to live their own lives apart from their father's love. His love meant nothing to them, nothing at all.

It still doesn't - despite the passage of six thousand years.

Father still loves his children, but to this day they still hate his guts.

Whimsical stories notwithstanding, the real situation is that God the Father loves us but that we don't give a rat's butt what He thinks or how He wants us to live.
Ask everyone you meet. Most will tell you they don't want someone else telling them how to live their lives.

THAT is the true situation of life on earth - fallen from the grace and love of God.

Nobody gets a convertible from our heavenly Father because nobody wants it. They prefer to walk barefoot in the weeds.

THAT is what's really going on. The Bible says so and it is a true observation in the world as well.

Nobody cares how much God loves or doesn't love. Nobody cares. Nobody cares for any of that sort of talk. (Isaiah 53:6)

Miss Hepburn, I believe your words are true for you. Sadly they do not bear witness to the attitude of the rest of humanity.

That is the awful pity of the fall.....

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Old 08-17-2018, 07:05 AM

15,906 posts, read 8,164,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post

Miss Hepburn, I believe your words are true for you. Sadly they do not bear witness to the attitude of the rest of humanity.

Everybody, except MissH, and presumably you, hates the Father. Where do you get this stuff? Do people walk up to you on a regular basis and tell you they hate God? Closest I’ve seen to that is occasionally a person in the midst of grief expresses anger at God, but anger isn’t hate.

You have a rather sad and distorted perspective.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:56 AM

25,775 posts, read 13,399,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Everybody, except MissH, and presumably you, hates the Father. Where do you get this stuff? Do people walk up to you on a regular basis and tell you they hate God? Closest Iíve seen to that is occasionally a person in the midst of grief expresses anger at God, but anger isnít hate.

Which is why his impotent bellowing is easy to ignore.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:27 PM

16,257 posts, read 7,646,560 times
Quote:

Otherwise known as "Reformed Theology."

Old 08-17-2018, 02:35 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,488,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
AND THEN one day Poppa came home and learned His kids had done something terrible.

They graduated and left home, never to call or write their dear father again. They secretly hated him to the depth of their being and never wanted to see him or talk to him again. This situation continued until the day they died.

The father still loved them very much, but never saw them again.

It was their choice, not his.

Father had given them everything they wanted and needed and then some besides. Father expressed his love for them a hundred ways, but in the end it was rejected.

YOU SEE ... the kids wanted to live their own lives apart from their father's love. His love meant nothing to them, nothing at all.

It still doesn't - despite the passage of six thousand years.

Father still loves his children, but to this day they still hate his guts.

Whimsical stories notwithstanding, the real situation is that God the Father loves us but that we don't give a rat's butt what He thinks or how He wants us to live.
Ask everyone you meet. Most will tell you they don't want someone else telling them how to live their lives.

THAT is the true situation of life on earth - fallen from the grace and love of God.

Nobody gets a convertible from our heavenly Father because nobody wants it. They prefer to walk barefoot in the weeds.

THAT is what's really going on. The Bible says so and it is a true observation in the world as well.

Nobody cares how much God loves or doesn't love. Nobody cares. Nobody cares for any of that sort of talk. (Isaiah 53:6)

Once again you point out your inability to understand the central theme of Scripture. It is NOT a "how-to" book, nor is it a contract which is what you are trying to make it. It is a covenant relationship that God has with us.

How many times will God forgive us?
Did not Jesus tell Peter seventy times seven?
Does not Hosea show that God is faithful despite the unfaithfulness of His wife?

Your hollering from the choir only falls on deaf ears. No one needs to be told of their sins or shortcomings (except maybe our POTUS). They need to hear GOOD NEWS, and nothing you are singing about rings it in. What you are trying to do is transfer your own inferiority feelings regarding your own sin---onto others.

Guess what--I am the single worst sinner on CD--absolutely without parallel. And God sent sinful me to give you a brand new view of Scripture. But it IS a choice. A great door for effective work is placed before you, but only you can walk through it and take up a real cross, dying to the idea of always being right or always being in the right, and instead become a servant of the Good News.

God doesn't give favor to you or me or anyone over the other. Scripture itself is full, literally FULL of chapters and verses where the author is asking God why sinners and other evil persons are being "blessed" while they, the good believer, languishes without blessing.

It's because that's the way God does it. I'm sure you know fine "Christian bible-believers" who have gone through all sorts of hell on earth. Nothing to do with their "beliefs," right or wrong, nothing to do with their sinful actions (of course they aren't the worst sinners like homosexuals or liberal "believe something or others" or persecutors of your particular brand of faith ) nothing to do with whether or not they tithe, show up to every service of your church, give generously to the poor and destitute or anything else. It just happens because God lets it happen. Period.

What we need to do in a covenant relationship is not expect God to provide favor if we are "good" nor to hold it back if we are "bad." What we should do is just trust GOD, not the rightness of our convictions or beliefs. If you love Him, trust Him to do what He wants to do and let Him work through you to bring favor to those who never get favor from religionists.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:07 PM

40,043 posts, read 26,720,362 times
Quote:
Everybody, except MissH, and presumably you, hates the Father. Where do you get this stuff? Do people walk up to you on a regular basis and tell you they hate God? Closest Iíve seen to that is occasionally a person in the midst of grief expresses anger at God, but anger isnít hate.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or