Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 10:16 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Well, of course, some people love to shun others for the fun of it all as well.
Personally, in all the time I've known camps on this forum (which is years now), I've never gotten the impression that either of those motives is true of him, but you know … asking is a way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 10:21 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Whether you believe that that's enough or take it a step further (as I would) that "God" is that which connects us all and enables us to tap into the universe through that connection, it is certainly worth realizing and contemplating.

I have been to a vernal equinox event given by a group of Catholic nuns who run an organization called Waterspirit that focuses on protecting the planet, particularly its oceans.

We were each given a small piece of fruit to hold in our hands and contemplate that we and that piece of fruit all came from the same "star stuff" that Sagan referred to. The point was to understand and realize our connection to the universe and to one another.

The nuns' retreat was located on the beach, so afterward we went outside in the darkness in silence to spend some time gazing at the stars at a point where the continent meets the ocean.

I'm sure many would find it corny, but I enjoyed it and found it refreshing. When you allow your mind to go there, so much else fades into pettiness.
My favorite place to contemplate the universe is an old, no longer used, parking lot up above Mirror Lake in Yosemite NP. No cars are allowed to drive up to that old parking lot any longer. It's completely dark up there at night, so there is no light pollution. The stars at that altitude (roughly 4,000 feet) are breathtaking. I'm getting too old now, but I use to strap my telescope to my back and bicycle up there for clear star gazing. But honestly, just laying out on my back and observing the universe spread out before me is spectacular. I really am the universe contemplating itself. That is all the life affirmation I have ever required. I don't really need to feel more special than that.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:21 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Personally, in all the time I've known camps on this forum (which is years now), I've never gotten the impression that either of those motives is true of him, but you know … asking is a way to go.
I'd rather address the OP as I don't understand how fundamentalism relates to proof of God(s) without using the Bible.

If anyone has any knowledge of any of the Biblical archeology I for one would sure love to hear it. Has anyone visited any of the Biblical landmarks?

Old 08-16-2018, 10:23 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm genuinely curious. Every thread on Christianity and proof thereof ends up going back to Biblical quotes. So, to Christians in C-D land, what other evidence exists?
IMO, many Christians consider most everything evidence for the existence of a deity. Whether it's evolution or sunrises, it's all due to God. Kind of like someone who believes in ghosts and is convinced that the retro-reflected dust particles in a photo are actually spirit orbs.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I'd rather address the OP as I don't understand how fundamentalism relates to proof of God(s) without using the Bible.

If anyone has any knowledge of any of the Biblical archeology I for one would sure love to hear it. Has anyone visited any of the Biblical landmarks?
In other words, you don't want to be challenged about your assumptions. Is that coming from a place of hurt or are you just having fun?

Old 08-16-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
IMO, many Christians consider most everything evidence for the existence of a deity. Whether it's evolution or sunrises, it's all due to God. Kind of like someone who believes in ghosts and is convinced that the retro-reflected dust particles in a photo are actually spirit orbs.
True, so it's kinda like herding cats.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:28 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Ah. And you assumed that was camps motive? Let's just ask him. Camps, are you coming from a deeply hurt place?
. HaHa. I wouldn't know what a deeply hurt place is for it to touch me and that goes for being the former zealous fundamentalist that i was to the present place i live in. I'm a very fortunate man.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
In other words, you don't want to be challenged about your assumptions. Is that coming from a place of hurt or are you just having fun?
Challenge away.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Challenge away.
Camps just did.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Camps just did.
Okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity