U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 07:48 AM

27,992 posts, read 15,074,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You can see the similarity between the English name Jesus and the Greek name Iesous. Jesus is simply the way we say Iesous in English. In transliteration the letters of one alphabet or language are changed into the corresponding letters of another alphabet.

And the Greek Iesous is taken from the Hebrew Yeshua
A common argument claims that Jesus is not found in the Hebrew Scriptures– the Old Testament and that He is a Christian or Gentile creation only mentioned in the New Testament. True, the name “Jesus” is not found in the Old Testament, as it is an anglicized version of the Greek name Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous). However, Jesus was born in Israel among a Hebrew-speaking people. His name in Hebrew is “Yeshua.” Matthew 1:21 refers to what was well understood by the Jewish People: the name Yeshua means “salvation” or “God saves.” Matthew 1:21 says, “She will give birth to a son, and you are to give Him the name Jesus, because He will save His people from their sins.” His Hebrew name, Yeshua, means “the LORD saves,” and this is confirmed in many Bibles that contain a footnote such as “Hebrew: Yeshua (Joshua), meaning The LORD saves.”

https://www.jewishvoice.org/read/blo...h-christianity
And yes, in English it is absolutely proper to use the name Jesus.
Yeshua is not a name but a verb...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Mike gave a good answer. Perhaps the "scripture" you are looking for is Matthew 1:21"She will give birth to a son, and you shall give Him the name Jesus, because He will save His people from their sins.”

As noted by Strong's the Greek used is

Iésous: Jesus or Joshua, the name of the Messiah, also three other Isr.
Original Word: Ἰησοῦς, οῦ, ὁ

2424 Iēsoús – Jesus, the transliteration of the Hebrew term, 3091 /Lṓt ("Yehoshua"/Jehoshua, contracted to "Joshua") which means "Yahweh saves" (or "Yahweh is salvation").

"Joshua" would be a more accurate name in English (The unfortunate change of the "J" sound remains the same) but it would not be a unique name.

The question is whether you have trouble knowing of whom you are speakeing when you use any of those forms?

As a general rule the form in question is used by those who see or maintain a connection to the Mosaic Covenant for whatever reason.
Weren’t his people the Jews?...

Old 08-25-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It doesn't. Nowhere in Scripture is it used as the name of the Messiah. I get it when people say it was his Hebrew name...but the Scriptures are written in Greek, not Hebrew. So the name Yeshua never appeared.
Yeshua does appear in the Hebrew Scriptures but not as a name but as a verb...

Old 08-25-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Thanks dudes and scholars for your input . I still don't see it. What I do see is in Isaiah "his name shall be called Immau'EL". So, I'll keep going with that. I was just wondering where all the Yeshua stuff was coming from. I see it now. Anyways, I appreciate the time you took to give me some good information. And no, I certainly do NOT think or condone that it's worth causing division within the body as others have seemed to do regarding this (not here in this thread). Thanks again.
Jesus was never called Immanuel...

Old 08-25-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n..xuipa View Post
immanuel means "god with us " again this "name" is a verb and action concept , about his promised deeds to live with and dwell with men.. That could only be true if he was going to come as a man, the son of king david.. Which was also another promise..
😳...

Old 08-25-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
I thought I would put the references to Immanuel. so everyone can see what the OP is talking about. in NKJV

Isa 7:14

“Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel.
Isa 8:8

He will pass through Judah,
He will overflow and pass over,
He will reach up to the neck;
And the stretching out of his wings
Will fill the breadth of Your land, O Immanuel.[fn]
Mat 1:23

“Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.”

Yeshayahu - Isaiah - Chapter 7

14 Therefore, the Lord, of His own, shall give you a sign; behold, the young woman [b]is[/h]with child, and she shall bear a son, and she shall call his name Immanuel.

Notice the present tense “is”...“Shall” denotes the immeaduate future when coupled with the present tense “is”...

Old 08-25-2018, 08:04 AM

704 posts, read 377,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Jesus was never called Immanuel...
Hmmmm, Isaiah? Chapter 7.......verse 14......I'll be going with that.....until HE shows me different.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Hmmmm, Isaiah? Chapter 7.......verse 14......I'll be going with that.....until HE shows me different.
However, that verse is speaking of a young woman being with child in the present of when the prophet is speaking...The passage is speaking of Hezekiah no Jesus...He was never called Immanuel in the New Testament...

Old 08-25-2018, 08:58 AM

704 posts, read 377,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
However, that verse is speaking of a young woman being with child in the present of when the prophet is speaking...The passage is speaking of Hezekiah no Jesus...He was never called Immanuel in the New Testament...
And if the New does not coincide with the Old, then I go by the Old. It was original after all. I question any New when it is not consistent. There is only one author of confusion. Again, you guys do what you will....it makes no matter to me. Only YOU can work out your salvation, not me.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
And if the New does not coincide with the Old, then I go by the Old. It was original after all. I question any New when it is not consistent. There is only one author of confusion. Again, you guys do what you will....it makes no matter to me. Only YOU can work out your salvation, not me.
I am a Jew and the Tanakh is a Jewish book and we are the ones to say what it means...Not Christians...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity