U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 09:28 AM

704 posts, read 374,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I am a Jew and the Tanakh is a Jewish book and we are the ones to say what it means...Not Christians...
Ummm, ok....I am not a Christian. Not sure what you mean by this. It doesn't matter. Keep on, but thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 09:31 AM

5,931 posts, read 1,696,500 times
Quote:
Yeshua does appear in the Hebrew Scriptures but not as a name but as a verb...
Actually, I should have been more clear. I said they were written in Greek. While the OT was written in Hebrew, the NT was written in Greek. The apostles wrote in Greek, and never used "Yeshua" as his name.

Interesting that you point out the verb. I honestly wasn't aware of that. I'll have to do a study on it.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:07 AM

1,382 posts, read 486,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Actually, I should have been more clear. I said they were written in Greek. While the OT was written in Hebrew, the NT was written in Greek. The apostles wrote in Greek, and never used "Yeshua" as his name.

Interesting that you point out the verb. I honestly wasn't aware of that. I'll have to do a study on it.
The apostles, for the most part, were uneducated fishermen. Matthew as a tax collector would most likely be able to read and write in both Aramaic, Hebrew, Latin, and Greek. The supposedly educated self professed Roman, the false prophet Paul, could probably write in Latin, Aramaic, or Greek, and it would probably depend on his audience as to what language he used. The testimony of Yeshua, given to the common people of Judea, would have been done in Aramaic. He would not have called Simon Bar Jonas, the Greek Petros, meaning stone, but would have used the Aramaic term Cephas. When Yeshua quoted the OT, it would have been from the Hebrew Script. The language of the common people at the time was Aramaic. The word "Jesus" didn't exist for another 1500 years. The term used among the apostles would have been Yeshua, meaning YHWH saves.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:16 AM

5,931 posts, read 1,696,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
The apostles, for the most part, were uneducated fishermen. Matthew as a tax collector would most likely be able to read and write in both Aramaic, Hebrew, Latin, and Greek. The supposedly educated self professed Roman, the false prophet Paul, ...
I'm sorry...you really just kinda lost me there. If you're going to reject what God has done through the apostle, and the early church, we really don't have a lot to talk about.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:10 PM

27,953 posts, read 15,039,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

Yea, I canít remember what passage of the Tanakh it is in, but I remember reading the Tanakh in Hebrew and it saying something about G-d saving (Yeshua) His people...

Old 08-25-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
The apostles, for the most part, were uneducated fishermen. Matthew as a tax collector would most likely be able to read and write in both Aramaic, Hebrew, Latin, and Greek. The supposedly educated self professed Roman, the false prophet Paul, could probably write in Latin, Aramaic, or Greek, and it would probably depend on his audience as to what language he used. The testimony of Yeshua, given to the common people of Judea, would have been done in Aramaic. He would not have called Simon Bar Jonas, the Greek Petros, meaning stone, but would have used the Aramaic term Cephas. When Yeshua quoted the OT, it would have been from the Hebrew Script. The language of the common people at the time was Aramaic. The word "Jesus" didn't exist for another 1500 years. The term used among the apostles would have been Yeshua, meaning YHWH saves.
Yeshua is merely a verb meaning to save...Also it means salvation, help, rescue...There is no mention of G-d in that word, so, no, it does not mean G-d saves...

Old 08-25-2018, 03:20 PM

1,382 posts, read 486,220 times
Quote:
Yea, I canít remember what passage of the Tanakh it is in, but I remember reading the Tanakh in Hebrew and it saying something about G-d saving (Yeshua) His people...
The names of the main prophets are generally aligned with the name YHWH, such as Isaiah means YHWH is salvation:
From the Hebrew name יְשַׁעְיָהוּ (Yesha'yahu) meaning " YAHWEH is salvation", from the roots יָשַׁע (yasha') meaning "to save" and יָה (yah) referring to the Hebrew God. Isaiah is one of the four major prophets of the Old Testament, supposedly the author of the Book of Isaiah.

Old 08-25-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
The names of the main prophets are generally aligned with the name YHWH, such as Isaiah means YHWH is salvation:
From the Hebrew name יְשַׁעְיָהוּ (Yesha'yahu) meaning " YAHWEH is salvation", from the roots יָשַׁע (yasha') meaning "to save" and יָה (yah) referring to the Hebrew God. Isaiah is one of the four major prophets of the Old Testament, supposedly the author of the Book of Isaiah.
In Hebrew, the name Isaiah means - The Lord is generous. Salvation of the Lord. Gods helper.. Other origins for the name Isaiah include - Hebrew, Israeli.The name Isaiah is most often used as a boy name or male name. Hebrew Name Meaning - The Lord is generous.

Old 08-25-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
In Hebrew it is Yeshayahu for Isaiah....יה is not in the word Yeshua ...

Old 08-25-2018, 04:22 PM

4,697 posts, read 1,217,814 times
Jesus name is in this verse.and salvation

Psa 118:15

The voice of rejoicing and salvation is in the tabernacles of the righteous: the right hand of the LORD doeth valiantly.

He is the right hand of the Lord !!

it is his voice those INside will hear. those those left outside I where there is weaping and gnashing of teeth )will not ear HIM inside .

PHRASE
h3444

יְשׁוּעָה
yĕshuw`ah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity