U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 02:31 PM

14,876 posts, read 4,985,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
So many confusing thoughts out there....is it cleaning up sins? doing a Mother Theresa? faithfully attending "church" every time the doors are open or is it something else entirely?
The only goal is to become a priest, but just because somebody doesn't become a priest doesn't mean they aren't saved, there is a greatest in the kingdom of heaven and there is a least in the kingdom of heaven, and an average Christian is setting his goal to be the least in the kingdom of heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 03:25 PM

40,099 posts, read 26,767,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
What, no caring for the or, feeding the hungry, clothing the naked. hosing the homeless, and healing the sick?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Interesting typo, there, z.
Indeed! Given the San Francisco Hose squad!!

Old 08-30-2018, 08:22 AM

28,514 posts, read 15,470,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
What, no caring for the or, feeding the hungry, clothing the naked. hosing the homeless, and healing the sick?
Not sure you are aware, but the church is a body - meaning different people have different functions.

In the end, you do the tasks God gives you to do. It may mean feeding the hungry... it may mean teaching people... As a body, I would agree that it should be a collective function to care for others, but not necessarily individually. At the end of the day - it's about glorifying God.

When Jesus was praying to the Father at the time he was to be apprehended by the soldiers, he told the Father...

John 17:4 - "I glorified You on the earth, having accomplished the work which You have given Me to do."

Old 08-30-2018, 08:28 AM

28,514 posts, read 15,470,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It would seem that way for those who are insecure with who they are, because they see themselves as sinners deserving of death.
It's not about insecurity... but having a perspective that lines up with God is a good thing.

I suppose you would rather trust in yourself.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:34 AM

664 posts, read 583,698 times
The goal for me, is Eternal Life. I believe Christian or not, people can give to the poor, feed the hungry, quote Biblical texts, and tell people that we need to live a certain way. That does not get it for me. I know that as a Christian we should live a certain way, be different from the world, but the "hook" for me again is: eternal life.

I can live morally good as a sinner or an atheist. But living a blessed life and treating others right is not my ultimate motivation.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:38 AM

25,864 posts, read 13,440,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
The goal for me, is Eternal Life. I believe Christian or not, people can give to the poor, feed the hungry, quote Biblical texts, and tell people that we need to live a certain way. That does not get it for me. I know that as a Christian we should live a certain way, be different from the world, but the "hook" for me again is: eternal life.

I can live morally good as a sinner or an atheist. But living a blessed life and treating others right is not my ultimate motivation.

At least you're an honest, selfish Christian.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:45 AM

664 posts, read 583,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
At least you're an honest, selfish Christian.
Well, the OP said the "goal." It is my practice to do the things I described that a Christian should do. So, since I'm practicing those things, there is no need to set a goal to do them.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:13 AM

20,421 posts, read 9,843,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
To live life on earth so that people see (spiritually) the unseen God.

Which means

1 - A person must come to Christ by faith in the gospel
2 - And that person must grow in Christ to look more like Him as time progresses.
Quote:
One other goal...

To prepare for eternal life in the presence of God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Christians live to die. Simple as that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It would seem that way for those who are insecure with who they are, because they see themselves as sinners deserving of death.
Quote:
It's not about insecurity... but having a perspective that lines up with God is a good thing.

I suppose you would rather trust in yourself.
What is this perspective that lines up with God, if it is not about who you are?
Evidently, you believe it is all about some kind of hereafter ... or eternal life.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:02 AM

15,426 posts, read 12,159,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
... the "hook" for me again is: eternal life.

I can live morally good as a sinner or an atheist.
But living a blessed life and treating others right is not my ultimate motivation.
You are very honest.
I would offer a fine tuning of the hook...an eternal life in Heaven or at least at peace, right?
Cuz, who wants an eternal life when what they know of life is pretty hard; full of bills, stress,
bad health, and overall pain and heartache.

I never figured out why Christians, with glee, would try to pull people to Jesus with
the promise of 'eternal life'.

Suicide is on the rise...people just want out!

Btw, Nothing wrong with 'selfish'...ya gotta put your own face mask on first
before you have anything to offer to others. It's part of the Path.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:18 AM

15,426 posts, read 12,159,510 times
Quote:
One other goal...

To prepare for eternal life in the presence of God.
This is very to the point.
Inspiring, honest, comes from a deep place in the soul...or 'heart' for those that
don't believe in a soul..
Practice the Presence now...that helps, too, DR, ...sit and be still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or