U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 07:51 AM

5,931 posts, read 1,697,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementofA View Post
Which "Bible" would that be? EO, RC, or one of the other "Canons"? Or the KJ Only inspired, inerrant, & infallible cult?

Would that Bible be an English language -opinion - (e.g. KJV) of what the Hebrew & Greek say, that you are relying on? IOW man's - opinion - you are relying on. Or do you read the Hebrew & Greek at a scholarly level?
Do you read Greek and Hebrew? If not, what do you depend on? I can read Greek (not Hebrew), but I do rely on some great scholars. My understanding, both firsthand, and from trusted scholars is that the NASB or ESV are excellent translations. I can always look to the Greek if need be.
Quote:
How do you know what God says? Does He speak to you personally in visions, dreams, revelations? Were you not listening to God for decades while you were a believer in libertarian free will before you became a Calvinist? Who were you, then, listening to for all those decades? Satan? Were you deceived by demons? How do you know you are not still wrong & deceived about many things?
He speaks to me in his Word. I can pick it up and read it daily.
Quote:
Which of the hundreds of churches calling themselves "Christian" do you belong to? How do you know yours is right and all the others are wrong?
I'm a Christian. I became one just over 20 years ago, having been raised in a religious home, but never hearing the Gospel. In that time I've been a part of numerous churches, and am currently in a Baptist Church. I don't believe any one of those churches can identify as "the true church", but they are all a part of the church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 08:27 AM

8,763 posts, read 7,693,193 times
I was greatly blessed to be raised in a conservative Lutheran church. Its a blessing because these Christians have a tradition called "sola scriptura" . We teach only according to the Bible. We are also strict about using Bibles that have been accurately translated, that is, they use the Greek text as their source. Sadly, many Lutheran churches stray from this, so we only go to churches that still are faithful.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:31 AM

767 posts, read 429,335 times
Quote:
Which "Bible" would that be? EO, RC, or one of the other "Canons"? Or the KJ Only inspired, inerrant, & infallible cult?

Would that Bible be an English language -opinion - (e.g. KJV) of what the Hebrew & Greek say, that you are relying on? IOW man's - opinion - you are relying on. Or do you read the Hebrew & Greek at a scholarly level?

How do you know what God says? Does He speak to you personally in visions, dreams, revelations? Were you not listening to God for decades while you were a believer in libertarian free will before you became a Calvinist? Who were you, then, listening to for all those decades? Satan? Were you deceived by demons? How do you know you are not still wrong & deceived about many things?

Which of the hundreds of churches calling themselves "Christian" do you belong to? How do you know yours is right and all the others are wrong?
I ,like you also care what "God" Jehovah God ,(Exo. 6:3) says. Jehovah God had inspired righteous man to write HIS!... words down ,(2Tim. 3:16). and he inspired them to copy his words in MANY different languages. he being the most intelligent being around, knew not everyone would understand Greek or Hebrew. despite what many wants to believe, he does NOT speak to us in the same manner as he did the men of old. they were closer to perfection then we are today, being that we are living in "END TIMES." this is why he had man write down his words, for those of us who are living in the "LAST DAYS".

here's what he said to faithful Daniel, one of the men he had writing down his words ,(Dan. 12:8-10 And I heard, but I understood not: then said I, O my Lord, what shall be the end of these things? And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end. Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand). I know what God says through HIS WORDS, the bible. for me I would never belong to any group who uses another imperfect human's name, I follow the true teacher, Jesus. also there's NEVER been one human on earth, (except Jesus), who didn't listen to or was NOT deceived by satan. everyone one of us has been fooled by satan's tricks ,(Ephe. 6:11 Put on the whole Armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil).

because we were NOT close to the "ONLY TRUE GOD", as Jesus said, (John 17:3). it's NOT hard to know if we're learning right, IF!... we really want the truth, which MANY DON'T! friends of this world, meaning loving and following the acts. means one would be an enemy to God ,(James 4:4). Jesus said he and his was NOT part of this world, (John 17:16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world). Jesus followers then and NOW, removed themselves from man-made traditions ,(Colo. 2:8 Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ). true followers of Jesus will KNOW satan's ever trick ,(2Cor. 2:11 Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices). if we are fooled by satan, it's because we allowed ourselves to be. based on our OWN selfishness, arrogance, and NOT willing to let go things that are displeasing to Jehovah God and Jesus. peace

Old 09-02-2018, 08:31 AM

25,775 posts, read 13,399,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I was greatly blessed to be raised in a conservative Lutheran church. Its a blessing because these Christians have a tradition called "sola scriptura" . We teach only according to the Bible. We are also strict about using Bibles that have been accurately translated, that is, they use the Greek text as their source. Sadly, many Lutheran churches stray from this, so we only go to churches that still are faithful.

Yet another of the 30,000+ sects that thinks it's the REAL deal!

Old 09-02-2018, 12:49 PM

20,351 posts, read 9,815,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Yet another of the 30,000+ sects that thinks it's the REAL deal!
Yeah, this us and them mentality really gets old and tiring.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:02 PM

21,093 posts, read 23,895,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
When believers have a daily witness of Jesus Christ spirit who leads them into all righteousness which is love and no condemnation and no pride , and does have miracles of the Father God through the identity of Jesus Christ , and not miracle to hurt others or themselves then the like these people have got the right faith of the Lord .............. So if it a great concern that the bible is error then they miss the greater presence of God and His righteousness in their life , as Jesus said it is better that believers have a greater righteousness then the scribe and the Pharisees to enter into the kingdom of heaven , as the scribes were the legalism masters which probably condemned others with the law of God ..... Still people need to hear the Bible as often as possible as it can build faith which Jesus Holy Spirit can quicken ideas from the bible which they heard for their passions and promises of God , so if there is error hear or there , it will be better then hearing from books not of God and books of the world which could confuse Gods spirit and bring error that will attract the spirit of the world not of God ...... Like reading the lost books of the bible must be avoided , and horror books which reject the second commandment of graven image , or other belief books like the Koran or other faith books must never be read as it can bring confusion which can corrupt the quickening of God`s spirit with ideas not of God
Chapter and verse where we are commanded to reject KNOWLEDGE and live blindly by what MORTALS have written without questioning the source of intent of ALL written words...

Old 09-02-2018, 01:09 PM

14,782 posts, read 4,960,547 times
Daily witness of Jesus spirit?

What is that?

You mean that how people feel the spirit? I don't get it.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:15 PM

14,782 posts, read 4,960,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
When believers have a daily witness of Jesus Christ spirit who leads them into all righteousness which is love and no condemnation and no pride , and does have miracles of the Father God through the identity of Jesus Christ , and not miracle to hurt others or themselves then the like these people have got the right faith of the Lord .............. So if it a great concern that the bible is error then they miss the greater presence of God and His righteousness in their life , as Jesus said it is better that believers have a greater righteousness then the scribe and the Pharisees to enter into the kingdom of heaven , as the scribes were the legalism masters which probably condemned others with the law of God ..... Still people need to hear the Bible as often as possible as it can build faith which Jesus Holy Spirit can quicken ideas from the bible which they heard for their passions and promises of God , so if there is error hear or there , it will be better then hearing from books not of God and books of the world which could confuse Gods spirit and bring error that will attract the spirit of the world not of God ...... Like reading the lost books of the bible must be avoided , and horror books which reject the second commandment of graven image , or other belief books like the Koran or other faith books must never be read as it can bring confusion which can corrupt the quickening of God`s spirit with ideas not of God
Jesus told us to do whatever the priests say to do because they sit in the seat of Moses, and Jesus didn't say some up in the air things about the law in the way you are trying to present it. Jesus was very clear when he said that anyone who keeps the laws and teaches others to keep it will be the greatest in the kingdom of heaven and THEN he said that we had better keep the laws BETTER than the scribes and Pharisees......

You take the words of Jesus that contradict what you say, and then you try and twist it, nice. Jesus was very clear about people who disrespected the commandments of God, he was very clear about lawless people who spoke against Moses, and where those people are headed. Jesus spoke very clear when he was asked about how a person receives the kingdom when he told them to follow Moses, and he was very clear when he said,'' If they don't believe Moses, then neither will they believe one who has been raised from the dead.''

Jesus was raised from the dead and it certainly appears to me that you flat out don't believe Jesus when you post his words with a twist.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:03 PM

435 posts, read 116,396 times
"The most important thing isn't whether your understandings are right , your church or doctrine is right , it's whether your personal relationship with Christ is right ."

"We can try to share the things God gives us in secret through His Word , His Spirit and the mind of Christ . But ultimately , those gifts although ours , there not ours to give , but God's . Being given those gifts as the result of Faith and faithing are the only way we know we're on the right path ."

Old 09-02-2018, 03:19 PM

15,906 posts, read 8,164,467 times
Quote:
"The most important thing isn't whether your understandings are right , your church or doctrine is right , it's whether your personal relationship with Christ is right ."

"We can try to share the things God gives us in secret through His Word , His Spirit and the mind of Christ . But ultimately , those gifts although ours , there not ours to give , but God's . Being given those gifts as the result of Faith and faithing are the only way we know we're on the right path ."

To me, God's Word (not to be confused with the Bible canon), Gods Spirit and the mind of Christ are all closely related, and perhaps even just different terms for the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or