U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-05-2018, 10:53 AM
 
20,421 posts, read 9,843,300 times
Reputation: 1678

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The Scriptures are not teaching oneness, or the trinity:

For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes. Jesus is a man. And he's God. Scripture clearly teaches both. He has 2 natures, both God and man.

Now...IF Jesus is God, and the Spirit is God (and Scripture teaches that), and the Father is God....do you mean to suggest there are 3 God's? Logically, the only conclusion is that there is only 1 God, 3 persons.
There is no, Now...to it. Jesus is not God, if you begin with a fallacy; you end with a fallacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2018, 10:58 AM
 
Location: USA
15,906 posts, read 8,179,601 times
Reputation: 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
There is no, Now...to it. Jesus is not God, if you begin with a fallacy; you end with a fallacy.
I'd rather people believe Jesus is God than believe that the wrathful, vengeful, murderous monster they read so much about in the OT is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2018, 10:59 AM
Status: "6' - 220" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
25,861 posts, read 13,440,954 times
Reputation: 11686
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes. Jesus is a man. And he's God. Scripture clearly teaches both. He has 2 natures, both God and man.

Now...IF Jesus is God, and the Spirit is God (and Scripture teaches that), and the Father is God....do you mean to suggest there are 3 God's? Logically, the only conclusion is that there is only 1 God, 3 persons.

There is nothing logical about the bible or the god(s) it describes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2018, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
16,293 posts, read 7,667,149 times
Reputation: 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101c View Post
first thanks for the response, second, you say...

third, I can take this as you cannot answer the question?
No, you can take it that I see that you have not given any reason for considering it than your own ego trip, and I'm not interested. You can't seem to come up with a GOOD reason to believe your particular trip (or any other, for that matter).

Try this: what difference does it make to ME whether I believe it or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2018, 11:08 AM
 
20,421 posts, read 9,843,300 times
Reputation: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
There is no, Now...to it. Jesus is not God, if you begin with a fallacy; you end with a fallacy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I'd rather people believe Jesus is God than believe that the wrathful, vengeful, murderous monster they read so much about in the OT is.
I can understand that, and although I may open up a can of eternal worms let me just say:

Jesus was a mortal man (if he existed at all which I believe he may have), not a hybrid god/man as depicted in the modern doctrine of the hypostatic union or Trinity. However, I cannot help but to see an intelligent design to the existence of humanity and the universe. Whether or not, one chooses to call it a higher power or label it as God is up to them. Personally, I use the term God.

Although I believe Jesus was not God or a god, he was the manifestation of how God wants men to live, which is to love their neighbor(s) as themselves; being merciful and forgiving. Which is clearly shown in his own thoughts, deeds and actions. It doesn’t make him divine, just more mature in the way he viewed life and lived in contrast to the rest of humanity.

If, all of us would exhibit the Grace of God, and the love of Christ Jesus this world would be a better place. Instead, many would rather preach about a wrathful and condemning god who punishes those who miss the mark. And nowhere do I see that he was sent to save the righteous, only those who have lost their way.

I could list various things that I, personally, do not believe to be true or accurate. But have found that people will believe, what they believe – until they no longer believe it. It is not up to me to convert anyone or their way of thinking to match that of my own. Although I do have a deep repugnance for those who judge and condemn others who are not like them.

I guess you could say that I am a person who bases their opinions and actions on reason and knowledge rather than on religious beliefs or emotional responses. You could further say that I am somewhat humanistic, yet I do not downplay the importance of believing in something greater than ourselves, or that of having faith - that all things work for the good of those who love others.

Peace, be with you always as you journey through this life.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2018, 11:11 AM
 
21,905 posts, read 16,717,502 times
Reputation: 8732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
There is no, Now...to it. Jesus is not God, if you begin with a fallacy; you end with a fallacy.
The Bible says that Jesus is God. The Gospel of John emphasizes the deity of Jesus. The writer of Hebrews states that Jesus is God. Jesus Himself claimed to be God (yes, he did.) You keep saying that he isn't God. Since you claim that Jesus is not God despite what the Biblical writers say, then what do you claim that Jesus is and on what basis do you support your claim?

Addendum:

After posting this I see that you basically already answered the question in the post just prior to this. It seems that you aren't even sure that there was a Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2018, 11:20 AM
 
Location: USA
15,906 posts, read 8,179,601 times
Reputation: 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I can understand that, and although I may open up a can of eternal worms let me just say:

Jesus was a mortal man (if he existed at all which I believe he may have), not a hybrid god/man as depicted in the modern doctrine of the hypostatic union or Trinity. However, I cannot help but to see an intelligent design to the existence of humanity and the universe. Whether or not, one chooses to call it a higher power or label it as God is up to them. Personally, I use the term God.

Although I believe Jesus was not God or a god, he was the manifestation of how God wants men to live, which is to love their neighbor(s) as themselves; being merciful and forgiving. Which is clearly shown in his own thoughts, deeds and actions. It doesn’t make him divine, just more mature in the way he viewed life and lived in contrast to the rest of humanity.

If, all of us would exhibit the Grace of God, and the love of Christ Jesus this world would be a better place. Instead, many would rather preach about a wrathful and condemning god who punishes those who miss the mark. And nowhere do I see that he was sent to save the righteous, only those who have lost their way.

I could list various things that I, personally, do not believe to be true or accurate. But have found that people will believe, what they believe – until they no longer believe it. It is not up to me to convert anyone or their way of thinking to match that of my own. Although I do have a deep repugnance for those who judge and condemn others who are not like them.

I guess you could say that I am a person who bases their opinions and actions on reason and knowledge rather than on religious beliefs or emotional responses. You could further say that I am somewhat humanistic, yet I do not downplay the importance of believing in something greater than ourselves, or that of having faith - that all things work for the good of those who love others.

Peace, be with you always as you journey through this life.


What a great post! I love your fortune cookies, Jer, but I really appreciate when you give a bigger glimpse of your heart and mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2018, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Mobile, Al.
3,671 posts, read 1,540,587 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, you can take it that I see that you have not given any reason for considering it than your own ego trip, and I'm not interested. You can't seem to come up with a GOOD reason to believe your particular trip (or any other, for that matter).

Try this: what difference does it make to ME whether I believe it or not?
First thanks for the reply, second, so your interjection was for you then... LOL, LOL, LOL.

as for you, I refer to Revelation 22:11. ...

now for others, my point is this "diversified Oneness" is based on God the Spirit as the "share" of a numerical difference of the SAME PERSON as G243 allos states vs the separation of God as three persons.

so I see you cannot, or is willing not to understand nor accept, this concept, which is bible based.

PICYJAG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2018, 11:25 AM
 
5,965 posts, read 1,708,691 times
Reputation: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
There is nothing logical about the bible or the god(s) it describes.
again...pot...kettle....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2018, 11:27 AM
 
20,421 posts, read 9,843,300 times
Reputation: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The Bible says that Jesus is God. The Gospel of John emphasizes the deity of Jesus. The writer of Hebrews states that Jesus is God. Jesus Himself claimed to be God (yes, he did.) You keep saying that he isn't God. Since you claim that Jesus is not God despite what the Biblical writers say, then what do you claim that Jesus is and on what basis do you support your claim?

Addendum:

After posting this I see that you basically already answered the question in the post just prior to this. It seems that you aren't even sure that there was a Jesus.
That is correct, and I do not live my life according to the dogma that is taught by people such as yourself. I have listened to that for well over a half-century, while studying Scriptures and the various languages themselves. But I have a greater faith and hope than that of people being bullies on the playground. And I do not see that believing that Jesus is God or a god changes they way people should live out their lives in peace and harmony for the well-being of everyone on this planet. Religion such as yours CREATES ONLY DIVISION AND SEPARATION.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top