Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 11:28 AM

3,671 posts, read 2,244,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I can understand that, and although I may open up a can of eternal worms let me just say:

[font=&quot]Jesus was a mortal man (if he existed at all which I believe he may have), not a hybrid god/man as depicted in the modern doctrine of the hypostatic union or Trinity.
I have just one question, if Jesus was a mortal man "WHO IS HIS FATHER" book chapter and verse please.

PICYJAG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 11:38 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
That is correct, and I do not live my life according to the dogma that is taught by people such as yourself. I have listened to that for well over a half-century, while studying Scriptures and the various languages themselves. But I have a greater faith and hope than that of people being bullies on the playground. And I do not see that believing that Jesus is God or a god changes they way people should live out their lives in peace and harmony for the well-being of everyone on this planet. Religion such as yours CREATES ONLY DIVISION AND SEPARATION.
You also claim to base your opinions (and that's all that they are - opinions) on reason and knowledge. Yet you apparently believe in a resurrection of some sort.

''Death comes to everyone, it will be knocking at your door in the near future; and surely you will die. So, yes, it is a "part of this life," whether you like it or not is irrelevant, you will close your eyes without a thought or a dream, as the time for death has not been eradicated!''

Post #20 - Most Bible translations (=opinions of Scripture) be in error?

How is resurrection based on human reasoning and knowledge to which you appeal? It seems to me that you simply believe whatever you choose to believe.

Last edited by Michael Way; 09-05-2018 at 11:50 AM..

Old 09-05-2018, 11:46 AM

23,148 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You also claim to base your opinions (and that's all that they are - opinions) on reason and knowledge. Yet you apparently believe in a resurrection of some sort.

Post #75
''Death comes to everyone, it will be knocking at your door in the near future; and surely you will die. So, yes, it is a "part of this life," whether you like it or not is irrelevant, you will close your eyes without a thought or a dream, as the time for death has not been eradicated!''
How is resurrection based on human reasoning and knowledge to which you appeal? It seems to me that you simply believe whatever you choose to believe.
Sounds familiar coming fro Mike, '' Believe whatever you want to believe.''

Old 09-05-2018, 11:47 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,365,030 times
Quote:
I can understand that, and although I may open up a can of eternal worms let me just say:

Jesus was a mortal man (if he existed at all which I believe he may have), not a hybrid god/man as depicted in the modern doctrine of the hypostatic union or Trinity. However, I cannot help but to see an intelligent design to the existence of humanity and the universe. Whether or not, one chooses to call it a higher power or label it as God is up to them. Personally, I use the term God.

Although I believe Jesus was not God or a god, he was the manifestation of how God wants men to live, which is to love their neighbor(s) as themselves; being merciful and forgiving. Which is clearly shown in his own thoughts, deeds and actions. It doesn’t make him divine, just more mature in the way he viewed life and lived in contrast to the rest of humanity.

If, all of us would exhibit the Grace of God, and the love of Christ Jesus this world would be a better place. Instead, many would rather preach about a wrathful and condemning god who punishes those who miss the mark. And nowhere do I see that he was sent to save the righteous, only those who have lost their way.

I could list various things that I, personally, do not believe to be true or accurate. But have found that people will believe, what they believe – until they no longer believe it. It is not up to me to convert anyone or their way of thinking to match that of my own. Although I do have a deep repugnance for those who judge and condemn others who are not like them.

I guess you could say that I am a person who bases their opinions and actions on reason and knowledge rather than on religious beliefs or emotional responses. You could further say that I am somewhat humanistic, yet I do not downplay the importance of believing in something greater than ourselves, or that of having faith - that all things work for the good of those who love others.

Peace, be with you always as you journey through this life.

I can try to describe how I view God/Jesus in computer terms.

Think of God as being a computer bit, the bit one. He creates another set of bits that are one also.

He desires these bits to be one with Him however the problem is..one plus one equals two so how does He get the bits He made to become zero? He becomes one of the little bits Himself and does it (He, Jesus now, died to Himself...He became zero). Now we we too can die to ourselves, through His Spirit.

There is a bible verse when a man approached Jesus and said ..."Good sir...I ask..." And Jesus said.."why do you call me good...only God is good". This doesn't mean He was claiming not to be God but rather to clarify to the person asking that NO man is good. I believe deep...deep....deep....down and lowest as one can dig you might find even angels have a favorite sin. That is why my opinion also is only God is good. He did/does all the work to redeem ALL.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
I can try to describe how I view God/Jesus in computer terms.

Think of God as being a computer bit, the bit one. He creates another set of bits that are one also.

He desires these bits to be one with Him however the problem is..one plus one equals two so how does He get the bits He made to become zero? He becomes one of the little bits Himself and does it (He, Jesus now, died to Himself...He became zero). Now we we too can die to ourselves, through His Spirit.

There is a bible verse when a man approached Jesus and said ..."Good sir...I ask..." And Jesus said.."why do you call me good...only God is good". This doesn't mean He was claiming not to be God but rather to clarify to the person asking that NO man is good. I believe deep...deep....deep....down and lowest as one can dig you might find even angels have a favorite sin. That is why my opinion also is only God is good. He did/does all the work to redeem ALL.
Good example, consider this. God as a hard drive with two partitions. same one drive.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:22 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
What a great post! I love your fortune cookies, Jer, but I really appreciate when you give a bigger glimpse of your heart and mind.
I used to debate these issues in times past, but have given that up for the most part. And have settled for that of "fortune" cookies or a commentary. I have no intentions of getting up off the bench for every new kid on the block. My only desire is for people to open-up their hearts and minds to the possibility that we have erred in our attempts to understand everything there is, including that of a creator (God) and we have merely made the Spirit of life conform to our particular image. There are things that go well beyond what we can imagine or perceive. But I do believe that love will never fail, if we put that first and foremost in our lives. Although, there are many who have expectations that they must receive (a reward), if they are to give of themselves. And those that don't will be eternally damned, which is just asinine. Religion doesn't build unity, it causes separation and division with this "us" and "them" mentality. There is no one less or greater than anyone else. But when you deal with extreme fundamentalists, they believe they are the cats meow, and they will never listen to reason - as they have been indoctrinated to believe they are right and everyone else is wrong.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:27 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101c View Post
I have just one question, if Jesus was a mortal man "WHO IS HIS FATHER" book chapter and verse please.

PICYJAG
I am not interested in your book, chapter and verse mentality, as I do not see the Scriptures as being inerrant or infallible.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I used to debate these issues in times past, but have given that up for the most part. And have settled for that of "fortune" cookies or a commentary. I have no intentions of getting up off the bench for every new kid on the block. My only desire is for people to open-up their hearts and minds to the possibility that we have erred in our attempts to understand everything there is, including that of a creator (God) and we have merely made the Spirit of life conform to our particular image. There are things that go well beyond what we can imagine or perceive. But I do believe that love will never fail, if we put that first and foremost in our lives. Although, there are many who have expectations that they must receive (a reward), if they are to give of themselves. And those that don't will be eternally damned, which is just asinine. Religion doesn't build unity, it causes separation and division with this "us" and "them" mentality. There is no one less or greater than anyone else. But when you deal with extreme fundamentalists, they believe they are the cats meow, and they will never listen to reason - as they have been indoctrinated to believe they are right and everyone else is wrong.
#1. you don't have to get off the bench for any new kid on the block. just stay there and you will eventually succumb to it. change is always painful, but avoidable.

#2. that's the second problem. people have open their hearts too much. it just need renewing. Psalms 51:10 "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

Psalms 51:11 "Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

Psalms 51:12 "Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

Psalms 51:13 "Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.

PICYJAG

Old 09-05-2018, 12:41 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
It seems we have both reached a similar place, albeit I took a longer, more circuitous route.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:46 PM

7,530 posts, read 3,026,379 times
Quote:
Dear Jerwade: You are a precious stone!

Our God does exceedingly abundantly above all we can ask or think.

Last edited by Rose2Luv; 09-05-2018 at 01:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity