U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 08:32 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,678,277 times

Advertisements

https://www.catholic.com/hard-sayings

Free e-book.

"Have you ever read something in the Bible that made you just scratch your head? Has a skeptic ever challenged you to defend a seemingly scandalous verse of Scripture?
You’re not alone. The Bible contains more than a few “hard sayings” (John 6:60): ancient idioms, apparent contradictions, myth-like events and figures, and passages that seem to be embarrassingly out of step with modern culture or science."

Yes, you need to give them your info. It's all voluntary though. I like Trent Horn, he explains things very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 06:05 AM

981 posts, read 355,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

Free e-book.

"Have you ever read something in the Bible that made you just scratch your head? Has a skeptic ever challenged you to defend a seemingly scandalous verse of Scripture?
You’re not alone. The Bible contains more than a few “hard sayings” (John 6:60): ancient idioms, apparent contradictions, myth-like events and figures, and passages that seem to be embarrassingly out of step with modern culture or science."

Yes, you need to give them your info. It's all voluntary though. I like Trent Horn, he explains things very well.
I attended a Bible study recently. In attendance that evening was a former Catholic nun by the name of Elisa. Over several weeks she'd make statements about the church that convinced her to leave her vocation as nun and as a member of the church.

One of these facts was the stated attitude of Catholic leadership that the laity ought not be persuaded to study or read the Bible on their own. The short and sweet of it is;

"The Bible is not your playground."

If Catholic laity is discouraged from studying the Bible for themselves, how may they be expected to glean any truth from discipleship to Christ?

The straight answer is that it would be very difficult.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Old 09-07-2018, 07:25 AM

15,352 posts, read 12,109,955 times
janelle...Idea ...could you take one example every couple of days and post us?
You could even paraphrase..not copy/paste if that is not permitted.
I would love to see explanations of contradictory or hard to understand verses or stories.
That was a good idea of him to write a book on this.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:53 AM

5,931 posts, read 1,696,500 times
Quote:

Free e-book.

If I didn't have to give them my email address I'd consider downloading it.

In all honesty, though, I'm familiar with Trent Horn. I just don't know that he's really into serious Bible study, as much as he uses it only as far as to attempt to prove the Catholic Church, and then let Tradition take precedence over it.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:08 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,136,536 times
I personally have no interest in what the Catholic church - or any church or denomination - has to say, or wants to "add" to the Bible.

This thread is just advertising and boostering for the Catholic church.

Any biblical "difficulties" can be solved with an individual and the Bible, or an individual and direct communication with God (praying, meditating), or a combination of both approaches. Relying on other people and especially churches is an invitation for more confusion and trouble.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:00 PM

Well one needs to know Jewish history for one thing. Be a history scholar. I can't figure that out by myself and no one else can either. We need teachers. I never thought I could go to school without teachers helping me to learn.

If you think you can just give your child a pile of school books and tell him to understand it all, that would be foolish. We always had a group of people/ministers/priests in the church to teach us about the bible. Those who went to seminary to learn themselves.

You can read the bible on your own, certainly, but you will only get some of what it is teaching, you won't go any deeper.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:05 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2SFgDZ-1fM

You can watch Trent on here. Trent talks about his book.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:05 PM

5,931 posts, read 1,696,500 times
Quote:
Well one needs to know Jewish history for one thing. Be a history scholar. I can't figure that out by myself and no one else can either. We need teachers. I never thought I could go to school without teachers helping me to learn.

If you think you can just give your child a pile of school books and tell him to understand it all, that would be foolish. We always had a group of people/ministers/priests in the church to teach us about the bible. Those who went to seminary to learn themselves.

You can read the bible on your own, certainly, but you will only get some of what it is teaching, you won't go any deeper.

You say you've always had good priests/ministers/teachers? How would you know if they were teaching truth or feeding you a line? I'm not suggesting that they were...but I'm just asking.

Give yourself some credit. You seem like a smart person. You CAN figure a lot of that stuff out with some basic understanding. Pick up a text book or two on the time periods, and you can learn this stuff without having to be spoon fed their classic answers to questions on the RCC theology.

Look...I'm not going to bash the Catholic church. But don't think you have to rely on them alone to learn.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:30 PM

17,521 posts, read 10,600,115 times
Quote:

If he charges for his book, he is ignoring "you received free, give free", thus not really following the Bible.

Kinda hard to claim to be teaching it and ignoring it at the same time.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:47 PM

15,352 posts, read 12,109,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
If he charges for his book, he is ignoring "you received free, give free", thus not really following the Bible.
Kinda hard to claim to be teaching it and ignoring it at the same time.
Give to Caesar what is Caesar's ...He's a researcher...people have to live and make a living...buy the book, I say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or