Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 08:27 PM

175 posts, read 74,990 times

Advertisements

The fact that God regards certain human behaviors and attitudes as sinful is a core truth of Christianity. The fact that human nature is constitutionally inclined toward sin and all humans are estranged from God by sin is a core truth of Christianity. The fact that humans must repent of their sin in order to receive salvation is a core truth of Christianity. The fact that those who don’t repent will be judged and condemned is a core truth of Christianity.

These core truths run throughout the Bible from the OT to the NT. They are found in the red-letter teachings of Jesus. They can’t be avoided by any religion purporting to be Christian. They are the “not so good news” aspect of the good news of the gospel. The good news, of course, is that those who repent and turn to Christ will be saved no matter how black their sins may have been.

Jesus and the NT authors emphasized that in the last days false teachers would arise and the gospel message would be perverted. In the last days, people wouldn’t tolerate sound doctrine but would flock to teachings that tickled their ears. Jesus said that some of the false teachings would deceive even God’s elect “if this were possible” (i.e., it isn’t).

Any teaching that reads these core truths out of Christianity is demonically inspired. Simple as that. It guts Christianity of its central message. Without these core truths, the Christian message makes no sense at all. Jesus is reduced to a kindly self-help guru who bears no resemblance to the historical Jesus and who couldn’t begin to explain what his incarnation, crucifixion and resurrection were all about.

When Christianity is gutted of these core truths, what’s left is nothing but fluff. There is no sin, there is no judgment, there is no need for repentance. Strangely enough, or perhaps not, this is exactly what the demons would like us to believe. What I call New Age Christianities always err in this direction, which should be a huge red flag for anyone with eyes to see and ears to hear.

The vast, vast majority of those of us who call ourselves Christians don’t gut the religion of its core truths. We understand that the Bible is the only word of God we have and that the Jesus of the Bible is the only Jesus we have. The Jesus of the Bible is far from a kindly self-help guru. He is often harsh and judgmental, full of dire warnings for those who don’t repent. There is no reputable Bible scholar, Christian or secular, who thinks the Jesus of the Bible is substantially different from the Jesus of history. There is certainly none that thinks he was actually a kindly self-help guru.

Those who promote New Age Christianities typically claim an experience of Jesus that is at odds with the core truths. Like a kindly self-help guru, their Jesus preaches only self-love and self-acceptance together with endless love and tolerance for almost everyone and everything else. Live and let live, whatever gets you through the night. We majority Christians likewise claim to have a direct experience of God through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. But we understand that if the God we experience is different from the God of the OT and NT, something is very wrong. If the Jesus you think you know is just a kindly self-help guru who would reject the core truths, you’re on a very dangerous path no matter how appealing it may seem to you and those who enthusiastically welcome you as a Christian who doesn’t push those nasty old truths about sin, repentance, judgment and condemnation.

Jesus never expected to be popular. He knew that he was and would be a divisive figure. Christianity isn’t first and foremost about being appealing or tolerant or even “loving” in the way that New Age Christianities use that term. It’s first and foremost about Truth. The Truth of Christianity becomes gibberish when the core truths are read out of it.

Another red flag is the very fact that New Age Christianities insist on calling themselves Christian and appropriating their notion of Jesus as the central figure. I believe that this is likewise demonically inspired. There are plenty of warm-and-fuzzy New Age theologies to go around, so why clothe these in Christian garb? I believe the reason is obvious: to mislead the gullible into thinking they are followers of Jesus when in fact they aren’t.

Some within what I’m calling the New Age Christian communities (meaning those who reject the core truths) may well be saved. That’s obviously up to God. But a sincere and honest acknowledgment of sin, a sincere and honest act of repentance, a sincere and honest acknowledgment of the need for God’s saving grace through Christ, and a sincere and honest effort to follow the path laid out by Jesus are essential to any species of Christianity. If sin, repentance, judgment and condemnation are talked about within the New Age Christian communities, I haven’t seen it, here or elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 09:47 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,025,917 times
The "cores truths of Christianity" are big, fat fibs and juvenile guesses concocted by the minds of primitive, anonymous men who pooped in holes.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:51 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,832,457 times
A lot of fluff just to say that we should not actually analyze what IS "sin." but accept traditional lists of what we THINK God regards as sin. It should work both ways: realizing that chattel bondage is wrong took nearly 2,000 years after the ministry of Jesus, but who will deny that it is true? What if something on that "list" should NOT be just as "slavery" SHOULD be?

The promised "Guide" was to be with us forever.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:10 PM

88,130 posts, read 83,978,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball View Post
The fact that God regards certain human behaviors and attitudes as sinful is a core truth of Christianity. The fact that human nature is constitutionally inclined toward sin and all humans are estranged from God by sin is a core truth of Christianity. The fact that humans must repent of their sin in order to receive salvation is a core truth of Christianity. The fact that those who don’t repent will be judged and condemned is a core truth of Christianity.

These core truths run throughout the Bible from the OT to the NT. They are found in the red-letter teachings of Jesus. They can’t be avoided by any religion purporting to be Christian. They are the “not so good news” aspect of the good news of the gospel. The good news, of course, is that those who repent and turn to Christ will be saved no matter how black their sins may have been.

Jesus and the NT authors emphasized that in the last days false teachers would arise and the gospel message would be perverted. In the last days, people wouldn’t tolerate sound doctrine but would flock to teachings that tickled their ears. Jesus said that some of the false teachings would deceive even God’s elect “if this were possible” (i.e., it isn’t).

Any teaching that reads these core truths out of Christianity is demonically inspired. Simple as that. It guts Christianity of its central message. Without these core truths, the Christian message makes no sense at all. Jesus is reduced to a kindly self-help guru who bears no resemblance to the historical Jesus and who couldn’t begin to explain what his incarnation, crucifixion and resurrection were all about.

When Christianity is gutted of these core truths, what’s left is nothing but fluff. There is no sin, there is no judgment, there is no need for repentance. Strangely enough, or perhaps not, this is exactly what the demons would like us to believe. What I call New Age Christianities always err in this direction, which should be a huge red flag for anyone with eyes to see and ears to hear.

The vast, vast majority of those of us who call ourselves Christians don’t gut the religion of its core truths. We understand that the Bible is the only word of God we have and that the Jesus of the Bible is the only Jesus we have. The Jesus of the Bible is far from a kindly self-help guru. He is often harsh and judgmental, full of dire warnings for those who don’t repent. There is no reputable Bible scholar, Christian or secular, who thinks the Jesus of the Bible is substantially different from the Jesus of history. There is certainly none that thinks he was actually a kindly self-help guru.

Those who promote New Age Christianities typically claim an experience of Jesus that is at odds with the core truths. Like a kindly self-help guru, their Jesus preaches only self-love and self-acceptance together with endless love and tolerance for almost everyone and everything else. Live and let live, whatever gets you through the night. We majority Christians likewise claim to have a direct experience of God through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. But we understand that if the God we experience is different from the God of the OT and NT, something is very wrong. If the Jesus you think you know is just a kindly self-help guru who would reject the core truths, you’re on a very dangerous path no matter how appealing it may seem to you and those who enthusiastically welcome you as a Christian who doesn’t push those nasty old truths about sin, repentance, judgment and condemnation.

Jesus never expected to be popular. He knew that he was and would be a divisive figure. Christianity isn’t first and foremost about being appealing or tolerant or even “loving” in the way that New Age Christianities use that term. It’s first and foremost about Truth. The Truth of Christianity becomes gibberish when the core truths are read out of it.

Another red flag is the very fact that New Age Christianities insist on calling themselves Christian and appropriating their notion of Jesus as the central figure. I believe that this is likewise demonically inspired. There are plenty of warm-and-fuzzy New Age theologies to go around, so why clothe these in Christian garb? I believe the reason is obvious: to mislead the gullible into thinking they are followers of Jesus when in fact they aren’t.

Some within what I’m calling the New Age Christian communities (meaning those who reject the core truths) may well be saved. That’s obviously up to God. But a sincere and honest acknowledgment of sin, a sincere and honest act of repentance, a sincere and honest acknowledgment of the need for God’s saving grace through Christ, and a sincere and honest effort to follow the path laid out by Jesus are essential to any species of Christianity. If sin, repentance, judgment and condemnation are talked about within the New Age Christian communities, I haven’t seen it, here or elsewhere.
In the first paragraph, insert the word "fundamentalist" before the word "Christianity". From there perhaps a conversation could ensue, because otherwise, the information in the paragraph is false.

I see we have the tired ol' tactic of look-down-the-nose diminishing of liberal Christianity as "warm-and-fuzzy", etc. Predictable and unimaginative, but then you do add a bit of flavor to your insults with "demonically-inspired".

However, you should understand by now that it is not permitted on this forum to tell anyone else who identifies as a Christian that they are not really a Christian, even when you couch the statement in your now-familiar trademark verbosity. Cutting out the unnecessary adverbs could help improve that some, by the way.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:05 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,192,722 times
I believe Jesus was harsh with those who were fundamentally religious with all of their dogma that held people in bondage.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:03 AM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I believe Jesus was harsh with those who were fundamentally religious with all of their dogma that held people in bondage.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:05 AM

1,382 posts, read 761,424 times
Quote:

You have failed to define "sin". (1 John 3:4) There are approximately 33,000 different "Christian" sects. They seem to all have their own version of sin.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:38 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,225,633 times
Hi Nerball, I never call myself Christian...and I add, '...according to
the Nicene Council's Creed as the definition, I am not.'

I also add, in real life, I have no Christian friends that do even 3 things that Jesus said to do.
I know a pastor or 3 that do!

I follow what he advised like it was a command from my commanding officer...my mind is renewed and
shoots down any thought that has fear, worry, is burdensome...
doubtful, has any lack of faith (well, those 2 never happen now)....I understand that he and my father are in
the littlest of these...doesn't mean I am a push over, tho...
just as Jesus was no push over...being firm and clear is so often interpreted as 'unkind and unloving'...well,
being firm and clear can be unpleasant.
'Get thee behind me satan; How long must I suffer you?, Ye of little faith...'

I am sorry to say my 'very' Christian friends very active in their churches and even employed by
Christian outfits in my town...are FILLED with anxieties and doubt, depression and confusions and all sorts of problems.
I know this because they come to me for counsel...I get many free lunches, I might add.

I tell them (as homework) take ONE thing Jesus advised...could be Seek the Kingdom of Heaven
for ONE week...or, say,
Do not worry for ONE week....none ever do.
(Pleroo did.)

It's like they get inspired from church and reading the Bible ...'Ah, what a great feeling...'
then the first problem ..all goes out the window! (Might even be right after church in traffic...cuz they
are all smiles in the parking lot!) I KNOW these people!
Practicing what Jesus said is wear the rubber hits the pavement, imo.
I do that as best I can like a diligent sentry at her post...guarding against 'the enemy'.
And I am doing great because of his words. Cuz I wasn't before.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:14 AM

1,183 posts, read 529,768 times
Quote:

Excellent summary. I would love to see you go deeper about how the New Age philosophy has infiltrated Bible believing churches.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:35 AM

3,220 posts, read 909,338 times
Christianity follows the core teachings they learned from Paul and the disciples none of whom actually did what Jesus commanded.

When Jesus said to continue in His word and be sent as He was sent He meant to continue the teaching of God, the words of God. Not only His but all the prophets.

Do this and you will be the light of the world just as Jesus said His followers would be.

I know people blow me off as a quack because how could Christianity be wrong. Jesus wouldn't allow it. Yeah well how could Israel be wrong. God wouldn't allow it?

God did it. By taking salvation from rebel Israel and giving the truth over to the gentiles, sinners who He could not allow to know it's meaning. Thus the different denominations.

It's time to follow the son, the prophets and use God's word however you can. Spread it, pray it, speak, it however you can. It is life. There is no life without it, at least to God.

Do you want to be dead to God?

I am the bread of life. Anyone who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me and I in him.

If you abide in me and my words abide in you, you may ask what you will and it shall be done for you. My Father is glorified in your bearing much fruit and becoming my disciple.

If you continue in my word you are truly my disciple, then you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.

If the Son frees you you shall truly be free.

Be free, be me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity